• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur v West Brom OMT ***

Pulis outsmarted Poch with high ball and a more physical pressing game.
They sitting deeper and pressing lower than us just meant they were more dangerous on the break.
Its even points, but a better point to WBA than to us.

Someone who will press wholeheartedly, someone who will not duck out of 50-50 balls. He really is the weak sister of the team.

This gets brought up time and time again, but he covers more ground than any outfield player besides Kane, the stats from last season prove it. This idea that he he doesn't press is a complete fallacy.

If you can find us a midfielder who works as hard as him AND scores double figures then be my guest but until then, he should play every game.

I agree with Juergen (GHod help me), the player pressing is seldom the one to benefit from the error. He can't be in two places at once.
Similar to lamella when he was being asked to drop back, it was taking him away from his most effective area. Same with eriksen chasing the ball.
This team still has same way to evolve before we see pochs real game plan IMV.

They sitting deeper and pressing lower than us just meant they were more dangerous on the break.

What did you make of Mclaren outsmarting Klopp at the weekend? Completely nullified liverpools threat and bottom of the table Saudi Sportswashing Machine went on to win the game, not even a share of the points, Klopp had no answer to Mclaren's moves..

This gets brought up time and time again, but he covers more ground than any outfield player besides Kane, the stats from last season prove it. This idea that he he doesn't press is a complete fallacy.

If you can find us a midfielder who works as hard as him AND scores double figures then be my guest but until then, he should play every game.
He runs to the pressing zone and tries to cut out the pass but does not actually tackle; he tries to cut out the pass rather than engage with a tackle. I notice this because that is how I used to play myself! Somehow I rarely got within a metre of the guy, I always just held off 1m to intercept... Which becomes apparent after a while. He works hard and runs up and down but is not feared by the opponents, they know he is a bit Willo the Wisp

It's not all about takling, it's about forcing an error by cutting down the options. You need to close down from the proper angle.
Can't remember the game but a couple of weeks ago our press was so good the opposition keeper threw it out trying to get upfield quick. Receiving player was caught out, played poor pass eriksen cut it passed to I think Harry and he scored. That's what we are trying to do, unsettle teams into making bad decisions and mistakes.

No he didn't.
He enjoyed the benefits of extreme winds and a referee who would not penalize their egregious fouling.
You talk about being 'outsmarted' yet realistically the officials decided the outcome. Kane could easily have had a pen when in the box as the guy's hands were pulling him back by the shoulders, and Njie was clearly onside bearing down on the keeper when called off, both big moments. Add to that the fact the West Brom should've been playing with 10 men for a portion of the match and if that's being out-smarted, then so be it. I hope we never lower ourselves to that rubbish mate. I would say Poch's only mistake was in taking Lamela off, as he was doing supremely well.

No he didn't.
He enjoyed the benefits of extreme winds and a referee who would not penalize their egregious fouling.
You talk about being 'outsmarted' yet realistically the officials decided the outcome. Kane could easily have had a pen when in the box as the guy's hands were pulling him back by the shoulders, and Njie was clearly onside bearing down on the keeper when called off, both big moments. Add to that the fact the West Brom should've been playing with 10 men for a portion of the match and if that's being out-smarted, then so be it. I hope we never lower ourselves to that rubbish mate. I would say Poch's only mistake was in taking Lamela off, as he was doing supremely well.

Stop spoiling metalgear's fun Steff!

I agree with Juergen (GHod help me), the player pressing is seldom the one to benefit from the error. He can't be in two places at once.
Similar to lamella when he was being asked to drop back, it was taking him away from his most effective area. Same with eriksen chasing the ball.
This team still has same way to evolve before we see pochs real game plan IMV.

Thanks, I think.....

Yeah he runs, but watch him, there are times when he jogs and does not make a serious attempt to get to the contest. Even if I concede that point, he is really weak when it comes to the physical side of the game. Last week he even pulled out of headers.

Yeah he runs, but watch him, there are times when he jogs and does not make a serious attempt to get to the contest. Even if I concede that point, he is really weak when it comes to the physical side of the game. Last week he even pulled out of headers.
And that's why we have the likes of Dier and Mason - players who will do the donkey work and put themselves in where it hurts. If we had an entire midfield who didn't compete for every ball flat out it woul dbe a worry. It's the other side of the game where Eriksen is vital to our style.

It's not all about takling, it's about forcing an error by cutting down the options. You need to close down from the proper angle.
Can't remember the game but a couple of weeks ago our press was so good the opposition keeper threw it out trying to get upfield quick. Receiving player was caught out, played poor pass eriksen cut it passed to I think Harry and he scored. That's what we are trying to do, unsettle teams into making bad decisions and mistakes.

West Ham for Kane's 2nd and his 2nd assist

He also did it several times against Arsenal and has done it plenty of times. He does press but he doesn't always tackle ( he has the lowest tackle stats of our starters yet manages twice as many as Chadli). He does however play the margins for interceptions and forcing errors. Ultimately his job is to create and score and defensively it's to press high and fast to create turnover options. It's not to win tackles and command the centre of the park

He had a poor game vs West Brom but do not have a better creative outlet than erisken in my opinion. I've said it before but the day we have better options than him is the day were good enough to dine at the very top table

And that's why we have the likes of Dier and Mason - players who will do the donkey work and put themselves in where it hurts. If we had an entire midfield who didn't compete for every ball flat out it woul dbe a worry. It's the other side of the game where Eriksen is vital to our style.

Thank you. How good exactly do people think we are that we should not play Eriksen?

When can work it so that the errors fall to eriksen is when we will see the benefit. The press should work to pin the opposition back and eriksen stays on the edge of it trying to intercept and break. That's what I think we are trying to work towards, but at the moment he's to deep in the actual press.

Him doing pretty much exactly what everyone expected him to is not him outsmarting Poch...

It's just Pulis doing what he did year in year out at Stoke. Putting out a team that's hard to beat, hard to watch and hard to referee.

A team struggling against a Pulis side is not a sign of Pulis outsmarting the opponent. It's just a sign of this style of football being effective (up to a level imo) in football.

I just think the guy sets a poor example when he squibs it. I have never said he's a poor player. If Eriksen is un-droppable, the club is seriously under manned.

I just think the guy sets a poor example when he squibs it. I have never said he's a poor player. If Eriksen is un-droppable, the club is seriously under manned.

And my view is the day we have better players than him is the day we have a truly world class attacking team

I really can't see how covering more ground than any other player is a poor example. Likewise scoring double figures again from his role puts him in the highest calibre in the league

I will say he isn't in the highest performing stats for interceptions and tackles

West Ham for Kane's 2nd and his 2nd assist

He also did it several times against Arsenal and has done it plenty of times. He does press but he doesn't always tackle ( he has the lowest tackle stats of our starters yet manages twice as many as Chadli). He does however play the margins for interceptions and forcing errors. Ultimately his job is to create and score and defensively it's to press high and fast to create turnover options. It's not to win tackles and command the centre of the park

He had a poor game vs West Brom but do not have a better creative outlet than erisken in my opinion. I've said it before but the day we have better options than him is the day were good enough to dine at the very top table

Bang on the money for me especially the last sentence.

Still no mention of that tackle! All I could find was this:

INCIDENT: James McClean of West Brom is booked for a foul on Tottenham's Moussa Dembele.

james-mcclean-moussa-dembele-west-brom-tottenham-premier-league_3385723.jpg

James McClean risked being sent off after a reckless challenge on Moussa Dembele
SCENARIO: With less than 10 minutes left, McClean went in for a reckless challenge on Tottenham midfielder Dembele. He received a yellow card from referee Jon Moss and was later warned by his own manager Tony Pulis to "be careful".

GALLAGHER'S VIEW: McClean should have received a red card.

GALLAGHER SAYS: "This tackle may have come as a result from what happened a minute earlier [a challenge by Dembele on McClean] but for me it's a red card. What I would say in Jon Moss' defence is he was the opposite side to where we are looking. It's dangerous, it's serious foul play. A minute earlier Dembele leaves his foot in on McClean, he gets a yellow card for that. It's not a nice tackle. I just wonder if James McClean saw his chance to seek retribution and he took it."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ta-lucas-mertesacker-dermot-gallaghers-review

Back