• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield Utd League cup semi Final first leg

This has typical, complacent Spurs-no-show written all over it. Oh, they're only Third Division, all we have to do is turn up, remember how to tie our bootlaces and not manage to walk into the broom closet trying to exit the changing-room. Which headphones should I wear?

2-0 Blades.

Seriously think Kane should be the 9 and Soldado behind. Or for them to interchange more. Didn't like Robby up front on Saturday.

Also feel we should go full strength for this. Get us well out in front so we can relax for the 2nd leg. Do think Vorm should keep his place though.

Vorm
Walker Fazio Verts Rose
Dembele Mason/Stambouli
Townsend Kane Eriksen
Soldado

From the Telegraph today....

Jose Baxter, the Sheffield United midfielder, has warned Tottenham Hotspur to prepare to be kicked and left on the floor in their Capital One Cup semi-final on Wednesday night after claiming that Premier League players have become too “nice” to cope with the physical side of the game.
Spurs host Nigel Clough’s team in the first leg at White Hart Lane aiming to avoid becoming the League One side’s sixth top-flight cup scalp since the start of last season.
Baxter, the former Everton player who helped Oldham defeat Liver*pool in the FA Cup two years ago, insisted that United’s readiness to test the physical resolve of Premier League opponents had been a key factor in their cup success.
Ronald Koeman, the Southampton manager, accused United of a lack of respect during their quarter-final defeat at Bramall Lane last month, but Baxter claimed that too many Premier League teams had become “matey matey” and it was a weakness that could be exploited.
“The Premier League is an unbelievable league, probably the best in the world, but those teams aren’t used to getting barged about, people in their faces, kicking them and not helping them up when they get kicked,” Baxter said. “But it works for us. It’s a bit crazy, but that’s probably why they are where they are.

“They are nice, they don’t want to get kicked and they’re all great, technical players. It’s just when they come to play us and we give them a few kicks, they don’t like it. You look at the Premier League and it’s all nice football.
Marc McNulty, our striker against Southampton, is a prime example of that. Just clipping the ball down the channels to him and getting into the centre-halves, I think they [Southamp*ton] were a bit shocked by that. They don’t really get that in the Premier League, everything’s to feet and nice. They don’t really touch each other and it’s not like that in our league.
“There’s a lot of ‘matey matey’ stuff. I’ve got a couple of mates in football, but I don’t like it at all – hugging and kissing each other before games and all that. My best mate, James Wallace, is in the same team as me now, but if I was playing against him, I wouldn’t speak to him until the game’s finished.”
Since Clough took charge at Bramall Lane in October 2013, United have overcome top-flight clubs in Fulham, Aston Villa, West Ham, Southampton and Queens Park Rangers. Baxter believes that record will ensure Spurs are wary of an upset ahead of the two-legged semi-final. “If you think you just have to turn up to beat a League One team, then you’ve got another thing coming,” Baxter said.
“We’ve obviously got respect for Spurs, but we’ll go out there to boss them about and do things to them that Premier League teams don’t do. It’s worked for us before.
“Our run increases our belief that we can beat anyone in the cups and we showed that last season, too. Look at Southampton, they’ve beaten everyone in the league and are high-flying in the Premier League, so for them to come here and for us to beat them, shows we can really beat anyone.”

Jose Baxter, the Sheffield United midfielder, has warned Tottenham Hotspur to prepare to be kicked and left on the floor in their Capital One Cup semi-final on Wednesday night after claiming that Premier League players have become too “nice” to cope with the physical side of the game.
Spurs host Nigel Clough’s team in the first leg at White Hart Lane aiming to avoid becoming the League One side’s sixth top-flight cup scalp since the start of last season.
Baxter, the former Everton player who helped Oldham defeat Liver*pool in the FA Cup two years ago, insisted that United’s readiness to test the physical resolve of Premier League opponents had been a key factor in their cup success.
Ronald Koeman, the Southampton manager, accused United of a lack of respect during their quarter-final defeat at Bramall Lane last month, but Baxter claimed that too many Premier League teams had become “matey matey” and it was a weakness that could be exploited.
“The Premier League is an unbelievable league, probably the best in the world, but those teams aren’t used to getting barged about, people in their faces, kicking them and not helping them up when they get kicked,” Baxter said. “But it works for us. It’s a bit crazy, but that’s probably why they are where they are.

“They are nice, they don’t want to get kicked and they’re all great, technical players. It’s just when they come to play us and we give them a few kicks, they don’t like it. You look at the Premier League and it’s all nice football.
Marc McNulty, our striker against Southampton, is a prime example of that. Just clipping the ball down the channels to him and getting into the centre-halves, I think they [Southamp*ton] were a bit shocked by that. They don’t really get that in the Premier League, everything’s to feet and nice. They don’t really touch each other and it’s not like that in our league.
“There’s a lot of ‘matey matey’ stuff. I’ve got a couple of mates in football, but I don’t like it at all – hugging and kissing each other before games and all that. My best mate, James Wallace, is in the same team as me now, but if I was playing against him, I wouldn’t speak to him until the game’s finished.”
Since Clough took charge at Bramall Lane in October 2013, United have overcome top-flight clubs in Fulham, Aston Villa, West Ham, Southampton and Queens Park Rangers. Baxter believes that record will ensure Spurs are wary of an upset ahead of the two-legged semi-final. “If you think you just have to turn up to beat a League One team, then you’ve got another thing coming,” Baxter said.
“We’ve obviously got respect for Spurs, but we’ll go out there to boss them about and do things to them that Premier League teams don’t do. It’s worked for us before.
“Our run increases our belief that we can beat anyone in the cups and we showed that last season, too. Look at Southampton, they’ve beaten everyone in the league and are high-flying in the Premier League, so for them to come here and for us to beat them, shows we can really beat anyone.”

I hope the ref is made aware of this and I hope Poch has the players prepared to get at the ref to take swift actions for any dangerous tackling. We don't need injuries and we could do with this lot getting a red card early on.

EY_3303_4_YO2012.jpg

Please let this work...

Is she supposed to be a badger?

Sheffield Utd? Put half the first team out, 4-0 win, sub them off early then we can send the kids up for the second leg.

Vorm
Naughton Dier Chiriches Davies
Stambouli Paulinho
Townsend Soldado Lennon
Ade MkI

Should be plenty to get past them without risking any first choice players. Keep a few decent ones on the bench just in case we "do a Spurs" though.

Lloris
Walker Fazio Vertonghen Davies
Stambouli Dembele
Townsend Eriksen Rose
Kane​

Assume Chadli is out and Fazio is back.

No doubt we will have a really weak ref in charge like Mike Jones who will let them bully us for 90 minutes

I hope the ref is made aware of this and I hope Poch has the players prepared to get at the ref to take swift actions for any dangerous tackling. We don't need injuries and we could do with this lot getting a red card early on.

We don't though all the bad decisions on saturday and all the time wasting and not once did one of our players get in Foy's ear, were a bunch of fannies

Some of the predictions on here. Since when do Spurs do anything the easy way? We needed extra time and a lot of luck to beat Burnley a few years back who were also a lower league team at the time. We'll win this 2-1 as usual.

Sheffield Utd? Put half the first team out, 4-0 win, sub them off early then we can send the kids up for the second leg.

Vorm
Naughton Dier Chiriches Davies
Stambouli Paulinho
Townsend Soldado Lennon
Ade MkI

Should be plenty to get past them without risking any first choice players. Keep a few decent ones on the bench just in case we "do a Spurs" though.

Surely this is the most important game of our season to date?

You know if us and Chelsea both get through, we've automatically qualified for EL, so we don't even have to try for 5th/6th in the league run in (it's from 15/16 that the runners' up don't qualify)

You know if us and Chel53a both get through, we've automatically qualified for EL, so we don't even have to try for 5th/6th in the league run in (it's from 15/16 that the runners' up don't qualify)

You have to win the League Cup to get into Europe, if the Winner is already in it/CL the place goes to the league.

I would put out our best 11, no need to **** about cup final Europa League place all can be had.

---------------Lloris------------------

Walker------Verts-----Fazio--------Rose

------------Dembele-----Stambouli---------

Townsend-----------Kane--------Eriksen

------------------Ade-------------------------

That is assuming Chadli is out of course and Mason not fit

A 3 or 4 nil win would have me comfortable about fielding a weakened team in the 2nd leg. 2-1 or something similar would mean less chance of us resting players 2nd time out, and also give them something achievable to go for with their home crowd behind them, and we certainly don't want that. A crushing defeat for Shef Utd please Spurs.

Same team as Cleveland with Mason for Stambouli if he's fit. Maybe Vorm in goal.

Yep. It's Sheffield Utd.

If our subs can't beat them then we've got bigger problems.

You know if us and Chel53a both get through, we've automatically qualified for EL, so we don't even have to try for 5th/6th in the league run in (it's from 15/16 that the runners' up don't qualify)

Meh. I'm not a fan of Thursday nights on ITV4.

Back