• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield Utd League cup semi Final first leg

P609_zpsf8cafd8d.png

Tottenham Hotspur v Sheffield United Match Records 1898 - 2015

That's from next season. This season the runners up still get a place if the winners qualify through the league

That has never been the case for as long as I can remember. League cup runners up do NOT get a European spot.

That has never been the case for as long as I can remember. League cup runners up do NOT get a European spot.

Correct - League Cup runners-up have not got a euro berth. 2014/5 is the first season that the FA Cup runners up don't get a place if the winners have already qualified i.e. Hull City will be the last team to have qualified for Europe having lost the previous domestic cup final.

Correct - League Cup runners-up have not got a euro berth. 2014/5 is the first season that the FA Cup runners up don't get a place if the winners have already qualified i.e. Hull City will be the last team to have qualified for Europe having lost the previous domestic cup final.

Haven't they tried this with the FA cup once already?

If we win the League Cup and finish fourth we should be allowed to enter the Europa League and Champions League next year as clearly we have the capacity to play more matches

FM seems to suggest the loser of the LC gets a Europa league space if the winner has already qualified for Europe.

FM seems to suggest the loser of the LC gets a Europa league space if the winner has already qualified for Europe.

Nope - the EL place goes back to the league; it's why recent minnows like Sunderland and Wigan didn't get into Europe when they lost League Cup finals.
Also remember that in Harry's first season we ourselves didn't qualify for Europe despite losing on Penalties to Manure....

Am I right that the last time we played Sheffield Utd in the League Cup was the 1990/91 season when Vinny Jones got booked for a tackle in the first 10-15 seconds?:eek:

And that was the season when we were knocked out of the competition by..........Chelski.....:(

A few Spurs memories as experienced by a Sheffield United fan:

November 1990 - Home 0-2 - League cup night match at the Lane, we'd just beaten Everton in the prior round which was our only win over a Division 1 side at that point (was about a month before the Forest win), I remember the kop being packed and Gazza having an excellent game despite getting a lot of stick!

April 1991 - Home 2-2 - later in the season of our amazing escape, and we were already safe from relegation. Sat in the South Stand kop end and there were quite a few Spurs fans around there, they went 2 up, but we scored 2 late ones and I think it was Deano who got the equaliser in the last minute.

1991/92 - Did the double over them, Kevin Gage scored the winner at WHL in the match after we'd beaten the Pigs in November, and late on in the season Deano scored a brace in a comfortable win. Look at the run we had around then:
11 March 1992 Sheffield Wednesday A 3–1 40,327 Whitehouse, Davison (2)
14 March 1992 Manchester United H 1–2 30,183 Deane
21 March 1992 Chelsea A 2–1 11,247 Whitehouse (2)
28 March 1992 Liverpool H 2–0 26,943 Deane (2)
31 March 1992 Aston Villa A 1–1 15,745 Gage
4 April 1992 Oldham Athletic H 2–0 19,843 Whitehouse, Hoyland
11 April 1992 Everton A 2–0 17,820 Bryson, Cork
14 April 1992 Tottenham Hotspur H 2–0 21,526 Deane (2)
18 April 1992 Arsenal H 1–1 25,034 Davison

In a 2 month span we beat the Pigs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and got a decent draw against Arsenal.
11k at Stamford Bridge, 15k at Villa Park 17k at Goodison... Times have changed since then. It's that era why Deano and Dave Bassett will always be 2 of my heroes.

March 1993 - Home 6-0 - Much talked about match, they defended appallingly, everything went for us and we scored 6! Think it was 4-0 at half time, great night.

February 2007 - Home 2-1 - Two Spurs mates of mine came up for this one, and we totally controlled the match and got a deserved win. At the time it felt like the win that saw as a comfortable even mid-table premiership team, then we got 8 points out of 33 concluding with the Wigan disaster.

.........................Lloris.......................
Walker....Fazio...............Vert........Rose
............Stambouli......Dembele...........
Townsend..........Soldado...........Eriksen
...........................Kane.....................

We have been very fortunate in the League Cup so far this season as we have managed to avoid all the big PL teams until now. With us in the semi final now, hope we will make the most of this chance to progress to the Final. But we should not get complacent against Sheffield United, even if they are a League One club. We actually have a very poor record against Sheff Utd, as we have lost 5, drawn 3 and won only 2 matches in our last 10 matches against them. We even got humiliated 0-6 by them during that period. So, we need to treat them with due respect and play our best team against them.

We need to get a comfortable lead in this match to bring to the 2nd leg away. Hope all the players will turn up for this match. Afterall, most of them have not won any Cup in their career. This will be a great chance to do just that. Hope they will be up for this match. We need to make use of any chance we get to score the goals. I think Kane, Chadli and Eriksen will be our key players in this match as they have been our regular goal scorers so far this season. Hope all 3 will come with their goal scoring boot on.

Our midfield have been doing well in recent matches. So, hope we will continue with Dembele and Stambouli in the middle. They have been gelling together in recent matches. Still not convinced about Townsend but can see Pochettino starting with him. Hope he will be boosted by his assist to Eriksen against Sunderland. It will be too bad if Lennon and Lamela are still out injured. They can surely improve our attacking options. Maybe Paulinho can come on to give us extra options later in the match.

Our defence just can't seem to stop conceding goals lately. But will be annoyed if we can't stop Sheff Utd from scoring in this match. Surely, we can't afford to let Sheff Utd score in this match as it will give them the away goal advantage. Hope Lloris and Vertonghen will lead the defence to shut out Sheff Utd. Want Vertonghen to avoid any controversy for once. He seems to be involved in all kinds of attention nowadays, either with penalty or goal decisions. Hope he will be more careful when defending as we can't be conceding soft goals.

We will need an early goal to settle us down and then need to kill the game off with another goal or two. Hope we will get a comfortable win to bring to the away leg.

Last edited:
This is going to be a tough game. They have a decent cup record against Premier League sides and are more than capable of beating us if we are complacent.

This is going to be a tough game. They have a decent cup record against Premier League sides and are more than capable of beating us if we are complacent.

Although being a League One side they should also have the ability to be poor and get battered.. Oh who am I kidding, it's gonna be another painful night isn't it?

A few Spurs memories as experienced by a Sheffield United fan:

November 1990 - Home 0-2 - League cup night match at the Lane, we'd just beaten Everton in the prior round which was our only win over a Division 1 side at that point (was about a month before the Forest win), I remember the kop being packed and Gazza having an excellent game despite getting a lot of stick!

April 1991 - Home 2-2 - later in the season of our amazing escape, and we were already safe from relegation. Sat in the South Stand kop end and there were quite a few Spurs fans around there, they went 2 up, but we scored 2 late ones and I think it was Deano who got the equaliser in the last minute.

1991/92 - Did the double over them, Kevin Gage scored the winner at WHL in the match after we'd beaten the Pigs in November, and late on in the season Deano scored a brace in a comfortable win. Look at the run we had around then:
11 March 1992 Sheffield Wednesday A 3–1 40,327 Whitehouse, Davison (2)
14 March 1992 Manchester United H 1–2 30,183 Deane
21 March 1992 Chelsea A 2–1 11,247 Whitehouse (2)
28 March 1992 Liverpool H 2–0 26,943 Deane (2)
31 March 1992 Aston Villa A 1–1 15,745 Gage
4 April 1992 Oldham Athletic H 2–0 19,843 Whitehouse, Hoyland
11 April 1992 Everton A 2–0 17,820 Bryson, Cork
14 April 1992 Tottenham Hotspur H 2–0 21,526 Deane (2)
18 April 1992 Arsenal H 1–1 25,034 Davison

In a 2 month span we beat the Pigs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and got a decent draw against Arsenal.
11k at Stamford Bridge, 15k at Villa Park 17k at Goodison... Times have changed since then. It's that era why Deano and Dave Bassett will always be 2 of my heroes.

March 1993 - Home 6-0 - Much talked about match, they defended appallingly, everything went for us and we scored 6! Think it was 4-0 at half time, great night.

February 2007 - Home 2-1 - Two Spurs mates of mine came up for this one, and we totally controlled the match and got a deserved win. At the time it felt like the win that saw as a comfortable even mid-table premiership team, then we got 8 points out of 33 concluding with the Wigan disaster.

I was at that one. It was dreadful.

It was notable though because Jol managed to get all 4 strikers on the pitch at the same time - Berbs, Keane, Mido and Defoe.

Back