• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

We can but hope that Populous come up with as imposing a structure as Archibald Leitch' iconic East Stand...

Twitter / AntiqueFootball: Tottenham's White Hart Lane in 1949, with England taking on Italy in a friendly international pic.twitter.com/7x8ZIIpXGb
Bb9pQPfIIAM95ZY.jpg:large

Tottenham Spurs v Birmingham City in 1958.*#Floodlightspic.twitter.com/GzWtwXd6zJ
Blnk5ThCMAApigc.jpg:large

Superb structure…

Sadly the chances of me ever getting to London to see a match are about the same as the US reaching #1 in the FIFA rankings.

Seeing the pictures of old structure, current structure, and future structure make me incredibly sad it is something I'll never see.

My wife and I would love to move to England to experience a new culture and "start fresh" at some point. It's a fun idea for us to toss around but it's something that will never happen. We had our chance about 4.5 years ago to live on a US Army base in England as they offered my wife a position as a mental health therapist, but at the time we (21 for me and 23 for her) couldn't imagine living that far from our families. Ah, the things that could have been.

Sadly the chances of me ever getting to London to see a match are about the same as the US reaching #1 in the FIFA rankings.

Seeing the pictures of old structure, current structure, and future structure make me incredibly sad it is something I'll never see.

My wife and I would love to move to England to experience a new culture and "start fresh" at some point. It's a fun idea for us to toss around but it's something that will never happen. We had our chance about 4.5 years ago to live on a US Army base in England as they offered my wife a position as a mental health therapist, but at the time we (21 for me and 23 for her) couldn't imagine living that far from our families. Ah, the things that could have been.

You're still in your mid 20's? Lucky you!

You will have plenty of opportunity to travel to England and to take in a game at White Hart Lane one day - be it at the current stadium or the planned new one.

But then you probably wouldn't be a Spurs supporter. Your introduction to the game would have been different.

But then you probably wouldn't be a Spurs supporter. Your introduction to the game would have been different.

It's entirely possible. Though it would have been a year of qualifying for the CL for Tottenham.

Though I'm not sure which base it would have been anymore (http://militarybases.com/overseas/united-kingdom/).

I'd like to think I'd have still found my way to Tottenham, assuming it wasn't the Harrogate...I'd likely have been one of the Manchester douchebags.

The news from The Standard is ... there is nothing new:

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-baffled-by-governments-delay-to-stadium-goahead-9477590.html
Tottenham baffled by Government’s delay to stadium go-ahead

Tottenham are growing increasingly frustrated by the length of time it is taking public officials to make a key decision on their plans to build a new stadium.

Spurs hope to move into a £400million, 56,000-seat ground in time for the start of the 2017-18 season but, in order to make progress, they are awaiting news from the Department for Communities and Local Government.

The club are involved in a wrangle with a local metalwork business, Archway Sheet Metal Works. They need to be granted a Compulsory Purchase Order by the Secretary of State for DCLG, Eric Pickles, to have a legal right to buy the site from which the metalwork business currently operates.

If Mr Pickles ruled in Tottenham’s favour, it would allow relocation terms for the family-run business to be determined. Once those were reached, Spurs would have control of all the land they need to press ahead with construction.

Tottenham believe there will be a verdict this month but are perplexed that it has taken such a long time for DCLG to draw its conclusions. The saga began in April 2013, when the metalwork business appealed against the findings of a public inquiry. This inquiry had ruled that Haringey Council should issue a CPO on behalf of Spurs, which would have meant the business being forced to move.

Spurs understand the need for thorough examination but are surprised it has taken so much time. Initially, they hoped for a decision in March, only to learn it would not come before Easter, which this year fell on April 20.

Standard Sport contacted DCLG, who would say only that the matter was under consideration, and would give no timescale about a decision. The plan to move to a new stadium has been in the pipeline for six years.

Tottenham are confident they can secure the necessary funds to finance the stadium, though they will also need a naming-rights deal that would see the ground re-badged. Club owners ENIC have poured in an extra £40million by way of an unsecured loan.

If the main construction work takes place during the 2016-17 season, Spurs would prefer to continue playing at White Hart Lane but have not ruled out staging home games elsewhere. Standard Sport revealed in April they were considering Wembley, the Olympic Stadium and League One club Milton Keynes Dons, as possible venues.

It is so strange that it's taken this long, also I get the impression if Tottenham was a Tory constituency that the decision would've been made by now.

Another thing is the design and capacity, whilst the article does say 56k the BBC have recently said 58k and there's been rumours of a complete redesign with much higher capacity (latest rumour is 65k although that is from ITKs). All in all I just hope that the decision is made by this month and if it is, the club become a lot more clearer as to what exactly their plans are or, at bare minimum, what the hell they mean by 'internal refit'.

I am in total belief this is being held up because of the way the Olympic office was looked into by those 'private eyes' that Levy didn't tell to do what they did like telephones hacking, bin emptying blah blah.

Think people who do blogs should start writing stuff about Mr Pickles etc. Us fans need to put the pressure on them. Hell Mr Pickles is an MP in a Tottenham supporter hotbed too in Brentwood.

Start a petition to have him ousted at the next elelction.. anything FFS.

http://www.ericpickles.com/

Last edited:

Surely things like this have timescales no? Surely Mr Pickles (grotesque by the way) is held accountable so why not put a complaint in? All these things have policies and procedures that helps govern **** like this - so why is no one questioning Mr Pickles?

Surely things like this have timescales no? Surely Mr Pickles (grotesque by the way) is held accountable so why not put a complaint in? All these things have policies and procedures that helps govern **** like this - so why is no one questioning Mr Pickles?

Apparently our lawyers are questioning him every fortnight.

Apparently our lawyers are questioning him every fortnight.

Thats all well and good but questioning him every couple of weeks for three months (im assuming what I read was correct about expecting the response by March 14) doesnt get anywhere without going formal. Im sure there must be progress behind the scenes because id hazard a guess that Levy wouldnt tolerate such a delay and such incompetence but im only going on the basis of my very limited knowledge about these proceedings.

Thats all well and good but questioning him every couple of weeks for three months (im assuming what I read was correct about expecting the response by March 14) doesnt get anywhere without going formal. Im sure there must be progress behind the scenes because id hazard a guess that Levy wouldnt tolerate such a delay and such incompetence but im only going on the basis of my very limited knowledge about these proceedings.

TBH that statement sounds more like a putdown to shut someone up than anything else. Like, don't try and tell me my job. Besides, we've all watched Yes Minister so we know how these things work with civil servants, they have a veritable cornucopia of holding phrases to fend off pestering enquiries from the great unwashed. Nowt the club can do about it if you ask me.

Why would Spurs have lawyers questioning the government department or Pickles? The application is by Haringey. I can't see it being productive.

Why would Spurs have lawyers questioning the government department or Pickles? The application is by Haringey. I can't see it being productive.

A cynic would suggest they would try to do it closer to the election as a boast. But I doubt the tories could ever win in Tottenham so not sure why they would try.

A cynic would suggest they would try to do it closer to the election as a boast. But I doubt the tories could ever win in Tottenham so not sure why they would try.

But how many of us live in Tottenham?

There may be mileage in that notion....what would be interesting is if there are plenty of other developments that are in a similar position. Not just football stadiums.... Long awaited shopping centres, bypasses, airports.

TBH that statement sounds more like a putdown to shut someone up than anything else. Like, don't try and tell me my job. Besides, we've all watched Yes Minister so we know how these things work with civil servants, they have a veritable cornucopia of holding phrases to fend off pestering enquiries from the great unwashed. Nowt the club can do about it if you ask me.

Jim Hacker: What's the difference?
Bernard: Well, "under consideration" means "we've lost the file"; "under active consideration" means "we're trying to find it".

Hard to imagine any progress on this matter will be made whilst the World Cup is underway. That takes us well into July and summer hols and traditional idling of political bureaucratic machinery that won't revive itself until early September. Expect decision November-ish.

Why does the WC affect this decision, Pickles will still be working as normal.

At the rate things are going http://crossrail2.co.uk might be complete before our new stadium! Hopefully TFL decide to go with the regional plan, including Tottenham Hale and Northumberland Park on the route, which would be a fillip for the whole area.

Pickles is the Secretary of State, any decision by the planning authority can be called in to him and ultimately he will have the final say. It makes perfect sense for Tottenham to lobby Pickles in case Haringey Councillors/officers do not have the bottle to pass a major infrastructure development like this.

Back