• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

Pickles is the Secretary of State, any decision by the planning authority can be called in to him and ultimately he will have the final say. It makes perfect sense for Tottenham to lobby Pickles in case Haringey Councillors/officers do not have the bottle to pass a major infrastructure development like this.

Harringey have already passed the development. They also recommended the CPO. The next step is for that to be ratified by the Secretary of State and that is Pickles job.

Does anyone know when he is due to announce it? Do you think he would answer an email on when he is going to do it?

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/11288883.Businesses_voice_concerns_over_new_White_Hart_Lane_station/

Businesses voice concerns over new White Hart Lane station

Traders have voiced concerns over plans to move a train station as part of the Spurs stadium redevelopment.

Traders on the west side of Tottenham High Road have said that the plan to move White Hart Lane station further up the road deprives their shops of match-day footfall.

The move is part of the wider regeneration project surrounding the building of the new Spurs stadium in Tottenham, which is set to have a walkway connecting it directly with the newly located station.

Patricia Pearcy, vice-chairman of the Tottenham Business Group, said moving the station had always been a “non-negotiable” part of the redevelopment, despite resistance from local business owners.

She said: “When the regeneration scheme was announced we all thought it was wonderful. We’d needed extra footfall for years, and then we had riots.

"But moving the station means that those extra customers funnelled straight through the walkway, so that the council and Spurs maintain control of the extra retail traffic.

"It deprives the businesses who are allowed to remain on the High Road of that extra business. The other thing is that it will bring thousands of people all out into this one spot.

"What’s going to happen when they all immediately try to cross the road? Is the traffic going to be stopped for them all?

She added that the group were all keen to see White Hart Lane station improved in order to transport Spurs fans, but that they wanted it to remain in its current location.

“The station has been in White Hart Lane for decades and the footfall had never been a problem. The crowd dissipated as it walked along the High Street.

“Originally they were going to just remodel the station and keep it where it is now. Local people have been saying, ‘yes, of course, remodel it and make it bigger and better, but leave it where it is’.

“Increased footfall on the High Road is a good thing, but it has to be a good thing for the businesses and the community that is already here.

“We don’t want that community moved out and not to benefit from the regeneration.”

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/11288883.Businesses_voice_concerns_over_new_White_Hart_Lane_station/

Businesses voice concerns over new White Hart Lane station

Traders have voiced concerns over plans to move a train station as part of the Spurs stadium redevelopment.

Traders on the west side of Tottenham High Road have said that the plan to move White Hart Lane station further up the road deprives their shops of match-day footfall.

The move is part of the wider regeneration project surrounding the building of the new Spurs stadium in Tottenham, which is set to have a walkway connecting it directly with the newly located station.

Patricia Pearcy, vice-chairman of the Tottenham Business Group, said moving the station had always been a “non-negotiable” part of the redevelopment, despite resistance from local business owners.

She said: “When the regeneration scheme was announced we all thought it was wonderful. We’d needed extra footfall for years, and then we had riots.

"But moving the station means that those extra customers funnelled straight through the walkway, so that the council and Spurs maintain control of the extra retail traffic.

"It deprives the businesses who are allowed to remain on the High Road of that extra business. The other thing is that it will bring thousands of people all out into this one spot.

"What’s going to happen when they all immediately try to cross the road? Is the traffic going to be stopped for them all?

She added that the group were all keen to see White Hart Lane station improved in order to transport Spurs fans, but that they wanted it to remain in its current location.

“The station has been in White Hart Lane for decades and the footfall had never been a problem. The crowd dissipated as it walked along the High Street.

“Originally they were going to just remodel the station and keep it where it is now. Local people have been saying, ‘yes, of course, remodel it and make it bigger and better, but leave it where it is’.

“Increased footfall on the High Road is a good thing, but it has to be a good thing for the businesses and the community that is already here.

“We don’t want that community moved out and not to benefit from the regeneration.”

This already happens.

David Lammy has tabled a written parliamentary question to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government asking when he expects to reach a decision on the Paxton Road CPO.

David Lammy has tabled a written parliamentary question to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government asking when he expects to reach a decision on the Paxton Road CPO.

I am seriously warming to Mr Lammy....

At this rate I might even go against all my principles and give him my vote for Mayor! (assuming he stands).

This already happens.

Yeah, the argument is a poor one I think. The traders are unhappy because the current route from the station to the ground results in people passing their businesses, whereas the new proposed route would result in that no longer being the case. That is fair enough (although I doubt that will be enough to allow them to quash the proposal).

However the other arguments all make no sense. Currently everybody gets on/off the train on WHL and walks down what is a reasonably main road with small pavements and those people then have to cross the same High Road to get to the stadium as they will with the new walkway.

I would imagine the real concern from the existing businesses is that Spurs will be able to line the new proposed walkway with pop up catering outlets, thus taking customers away from them.

IMO however the local businesses should look to embrace the fact that there will be an increase of 20,000 potential customers on every football match day, as well as a decent increase in customers for them every day during the construction of the stadium.

Yeah, the argument is a poor one I think. The traders are unhappy because the current route from the station to the ground results in people passing their businesses, whereas the new proposed route would result in that no longer being the case. That is fair enough (although I doubt that will be enough to allow them to quash the proposal).

However the other arguments all make no sense. Currently everybody gets on/off the train on WHL and walks down what is a reasonably main road with small pavements and those people then have to cross the same High Road to get to the stadium as they will with the new walkway.

I would imagine the real concern from the existing businesses is that Spurs will be able to line the new proposed walkway with pop up catering outlets, thus taking customers away from them.

IMO however the local businesses should look to embrace the fact that there will be an increase of 20,000 potential customers on every football match day, as well as a decent increase in customers for them every day during the construction of the stadium.

They're missing the bigger picture, surely, of the 100's of new homes that will be built giving them a 365 day captive customer base... THFC are NOT there to subsidise their businesses.

You know what, I don't give a toss about them people that are all wanting a slice of the cake... they are idiots.

Instead of moaning they should be proactive in supporting, with that support maybe comes getting hold of the better outlets where the new station walkway will be. That's what I would be doing. Going to the bank, raising the capital, putting together a business plan to make sure. That's what my energy would be going into.

The summary of the reply from Nick Boles (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Planning) is that the the average length of time the DCLG takes to make a decision on opposed CPOs is 10 to 11 weeks. They have been considering the Haringey CPO for more than 21 months. They hope to issue their decision shortly!

Here is the full text:

Mr Lammy: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what the average length of time is taken by his Department to issue a Compulsory Purchase Order to a local authority. [201047]

Nick Boles: Since May 2012 (when the National Planning Casework Unit took responsibility for this area of work) the average length of time to make a decision on opposed planning Compulsory Purchase Orders is 10 to 11 weeks.

Mr Lammy: To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (1) when he expects to reach a decision on whether Haringey Council will be issued with a Compulsory Purchase Order in relation to the site of 1-3 Paxton Road, London N17 0PB; [201048]

(2) when his Department received the application from Haringey Council for a Compulsory Purchase Order to be issued for the site of 1-3 Paxton Road, London, N17 0PB. [201046]

Nick Boles: We are currently considering whether to confirm a Compulsory Purchase Order known as The London Borough of Haringey (Northumberland Development Project) (No 1) submitted by Haringey Council which includes the site of 1-3 Paxton Road. The Order was received in the Department on 5 September 2012.

This is a complex case. After the close of the inquiry there were matters in respect of which further views of the interested parties were sought and considered. This has delayed the decision in this case.

We hope to issue the decision on this shortly. It is not appropriate to comment further as to do so may prejudice the Secretary of State’s decision.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201415/cmhansrd/cm140623/text/140623w0004.htm#14062411000001

If they decline the whole of Tottenham should stand up and riot once more. Fcuking idiots in charge. If I was Lammy I would be organising **** in the media, I would be organising **** with the mayor, stuff with Cameron & Clegg, exercising so the public knows that 1 CPO here compaired to CPOs at Arsenal (over 50 I believe), Olympic Stadium and even Brentford and accuse them of an agenda.

I honestly believe this is payback for what happened with the supposed bugging of Council and parliamentary people in the OPLC.. you scratch my back malarkey. Less not forget Pickles constituency is right next door to those that many would have been on that committee.

Without being a lawyer, I'll take a stab at answering.

The CPO is being requested so a private business can made a development. The Spurs development (and planning permission) precedes the riots and the wider regeneration plan, which makes the public interest arguments more difficult to make. It could also be subject to a European state aid appeal (e.g. like Newham and West Ham for the Olympic stadium). There is no point rushing the CPO and ending up with lengthy legal entanglements. It is clearly better to try and solve all the problems before giving the CPO.

Without being a lawyer, I'll take a stab at answering.

The CPO is being requested so a private business can made a development. The Spurs development (and planning permission) precedes the riots and the wider regeneration plan, which makes the public interest arguments more difficult to make. It could also be subject to a European state aid appeal (e.g. like Newham and West Ham for the Olympic stadium). There is no point rushing the CPO and ending up with lengthy legal entanglements. It is clearly better to try and solve all the problems before giving the CPO.

Sorry not sure if I am missing something, but why do you feel that this CPO could constitute 'state aid'? Isn't this just a case where Spurs have asked Harringey to issue a CPO. with Harringey approving this and it then going through to the secretary of state for final approval?

Spurs would then be required to pay (an independently set) commerical price for the aquisition of the land. Where is the state aid in this?

West Ham's case regarding the Olympic bid was very different in the fact that their bid involved a sizeable element of funding from Newham council which was to be given on very favourable terms. That same offer was not being made to other bidders.

Last edited:

I do not think a CPO could be state aid because they do CPO's when they want to build a new bypass or something like that. The CPO is to create an environment where Tottenham (the area) can improve create jobs and bring money into the Borough.

I am amazed it is taking so long but as others have said above best to get right first time.

Back