• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

I think it matters massively. The last thing the club will want to do is allow the number of ST holders to drop and risk those people not then buying one the next season when the whole economic model will depend upon 40 odd thousand season tickets being sold. In fact it wouldn't surprise me to see the club look to sell a few thousand more season tickets in the one or two years before we play in the new stadium.

I think any stadium we play at for a season will definitely have a capacity of over 30,000.

I don't think that to be true any more now the club has an extra 40m in tv rights every year.

I don't think that to be true any more now the club has an extra 40m in tv rights every year.

If that was true, we wouldn't be going to all the expense, hassle and time of building a new stadium with greatly increased capacity.

Surely if Wembley can have unlimited events for upto 50k then we would go there. Can't see us going anywhere else tbh. The FA are still paying off Wembley so would like a season of club football there. Not to mention 50k would be a nice stepping stone for us from 36k to to 56k. Would allow a few more season tickets to be brought before we move into the new stadium. Rather than 10-15k season tickets released at once. Sounds just like Levy's business method to slowly release season tickets as well rather than just flood the market with them.

This would allow us to maybe have 1-2 games at 90k like Arsenal.

Agreed with all of that.

Milton Keynes is a horrible idea.

Anywhere that isn't in London is a horrible idea.

According to this page...

http://www.sportmapworld.com/distance/milton-keynes-dons/tottenham-hotspur/

...MK Dons stadium is 40 miles to WHL as the crow flies and 52 miles by road. Much too far away from our spiritual home. Besides, at 32K, it's just not big enough. As for suggestions that Brentford's proposed 20K stadium would be suitable, I hardly know where to begin! Far, far too small. On the wrong side of London. And the residents of Chiswick would be up in arms! Never in a million years will that happen.

The original plan was for Spurs to stay at WHL while the new stadium is two thirds built. It only makes sense to change that plan if it will benefit the club financially. And given that we will have to pay rent wherever we make our temporary move and given that there are few alternatives that offer at least the same revenue generating potential as WHL, then Wembley or the Olympic stadium really are the only sensible options.

If we can't have either of those, then I reckon we'll stick to the original plan.

Would equally be dismayed if we ended up at MK but are you sure a 32k capacity would really be so inadequate? It's only 4k less than WHL and given there is no direct rail link from north London I imagine a fair few wouldn't bother attempting the trip.

Besides, look at what has happened to Coventry's gates since moving their home games to Northampton, down from 10,800 in 2012/13 to just 2,300 in 2013/14. Even allowing for the disaffection of fans over the choice od Northampton for their home games, that's a pretty devastating drop.

Would equally be dismayed if we ended up at MK but are you sure a 32k capacity would really be so inadequate? It's only 4k less than WHL and given there is no direct rail link from north London I imagine a fair few wouldn't bother attempting the trip.

Besides, look at what has happened to Coventry's gates since moving their home games to Northampton, down from 10,800 in 2012/13 to just 2,300 in 2013/14. Even allowing for the disaffection of fans over the choice od Northampton for their home games, that's a pretty devastating drop.

Coventry's case is slightly different however as their move is not a temporary one while they build a new ground but an enforced one after being evicted by the landlords of the Ricoh. That being said I think there is very little chance indeed of us opting to play at Stadium MK. As Jimmy says I think it will be either Wembley (with top tier not in use), the Olympic stadium or playing in our own two thirds completed stadium for a year.

Аrѕe played their home games at WHL during the war. I wonder whether the possibility of their returning the favour has been explored...

The idea of a 100 mi round-trip for home games is too ridiculous IMO and, were they to present it as a fait-accompli, the club would surely, in fairness, have to offer ST holders the opportunity to suspend their memberships.

Аrѕe played their home games at WHL during the war. I wonder whether the possibility of their returning the favour has been explored...

The idea of a 100 mi round-trip for home games is too ridiculous IMO and, were they to present it as a fait-accompli, the club would surely, in fairness, have to offer ST holders the opportunity to suspend their memberships.

I can't see it happening.... They don't need the money, I doubt they would want to help us in any way and politically it would be dangerous (suicide?) for the board of directors at both clubs. As Jimmy says Wembley, Olympic stadium or playing at a two thirds completed new WHL.

Didn't we play at Highbury during WWI? So them playing at WHL was returning the favour.

[Edit: Yes we did]

On this day during the 1st World War Tottenham scored ten goals at Highbury.

Tottenham on this Day

31st March, 1917

Sadly, the ten goals that Spurs scored at Highbury on this day in 1917 were not against Arsenal. The goals came in the London Football Combination match against Portsmouth.

Tottenham Hotspur 10 Portsmouth 0

Scorers: Elliott, Bassett, Banks (5), Thwaites (2), Hulme (o.g)

Team: Jacques; Clay, Ralston; Darnell, Elliott, Barton; Lloyd, Bassett, Banks, Thwaites, Hannaford

During the 1st World War, Spurs played the majority of their home games at Highbury because White Hart Lane was not available as it was being used as part of the war effort. According to PastScape website, the ground was used as a rifle range. Some matches were played at Homerton and others were played at Upton Park and Stamford Bridge in the three seasons from 1916-17.

http://hotspurhq.com/2014/03/31/tottenham-day-spurs-score-10-ten-highbury/
I doubt the boards of the clubs are a hostile as the fans. Didn't a Dein offspring marry one from a Spurs board member? If we needed to play a few games at the beginning or end of a season to lengthen the summer building window, I don't think either boards would have intrinsic objections, if the right business deal could be done. They might avoid it for political reasons, but if Wembley wasn't available I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Last edited:

If that was true, we wouldn't be going to all the expense, hassle and time of building a new stadium with greatly increased capacity.

So that it pushes us past teams like City and Chelsea. I am talking from the standpoint that the club is not reliant on season ticket holders money to get the stadium done, although I agree the whole package pushes us past the likes of Chelsea and City hopefully. For certain we would have to seriously fook up to do a Southampton.

The point I was trying to get at is why would we go to the trouble and expense of paying significant rent to play home games at a different stadium that is: 52 miles away by road; 4K smaller than WHL and lacking even half Spurs' corporate hospitality capacity when we have the option of staying at WHL and then moving into a partially complete stadium that will have an initial capacity of at least 37K?

So I stand by what I said, that the only options that make sense are Wembley or the Olympic stadium.

The point I was trying to get at is why would we go to the trouble and expense of paying significant rent to play home games at a different stadium that is: 52 miles away by road; 4K smaller than WHL and lacking even half Spurs' corporate hospitality capacity when we have the option of staying at WHL and then moving into a partially complete stadium that will have an initial capacity of at least 37K?

So I stand by what I said, that the only options that make sense are Wembley or the Olympic stadium.

Weren't there rumors floating around about a redesign of the initial proposals, with a new capacity of 65k being projected? If true, then the case could easily be made that a project of that magnitude would mean that playing in a half-finished stadium for more than just a year: maybe we would have to spend two seasons doing so. Whereas moving elsewhere and letting the construction teams work unimpeded and with their own designs (free from the necessity of fully completing a section and then moving on the other ones) could still see us move into the whole thing in 2018. Sound reasonable?

Weren't there rumors floating around about a redesign of the initial proposals, with a new capacity of 65k being projected? If true, then the case could easily be made that a project of that magnitude would mean that playing in a half-finished stadium for more than just a year: maybe we would have to spend two seasons doing so. Whereas moving elsewhere and letting the construction teams work unimpeded and with their own designs (free from the necessity of fully completing a section and then moving on the other ones) could still see us move into the whole thing in 2018. Sound reasonable?

I had thought about that possibility but, as far as I'm aware, the suggestion at the moment is only that Spurs will ground share for one year. But in your scenario, Spurs would have to ground share for two years. There's no way that the stadium could be fully built within 15 months.

nice effort by the club and all

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...rp-arms-reprieve-from-developers-9423014.html [h=1]Spurs step in to give much-loved Tottenham pub the Antwerp Arms reprieve from developers[/h]

Antwerp-arms.jpg

Reprieve: the Antwerp Arms was saved by last minute donations
Robin de Peyer
Published: 23 May 2014
Updated: 09:45, 23 May 2014

An historic London pub has been given a reprieve from redevelopment after a flood of last minute donations.

Shares were offered in the Antwerp Arms in Tottenham after it was put up for sale by its owner in June.

Locals feared the site would be converted into flats, and so set about raising funds by selling shares in the pub to punters.

For the pub to have a chance of staying open, investors needed to raise £125,000 by yesterday lunchtime.

And campaigners reached their target with just hours to spare after donations from Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and local MP David Lammy, among other secret investors.

To mark yesterday's milestone, Spurs legend Gary Mabbutt turned out to pull a pint at the pub.

A Tottenham club spokesman said: "As a Club with strong ties to its local community and fan base, we recognise the important role that the Antwerp Arms plays in terms of providing a popular meeting place for supporters on a matchday, as well as being part of the area’s heritage.

"The Club, along with our Supporters Trust, is therefore delighted to have shown its support for the Antwerp Arms Association.”

I had thought about that possibility but, as far as I'm aware, the suggestion at the moment is only that Spurs will ground share for one year. But in your scenario, Spurs would have to ground share for two years. There's no way that the stadium could be fully built within 15 months.

I don't think that's what he's saying?

The stadium wouldn't have to be fully built within 15 months. The original plans were that much of the construction work would happen whilst the old stadium was still in place I think? That could still happen, but the final phase of the construction process might happen quicker with a ground share in that final season?

nice effort by the club and all

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...rp-arms-reprieve-from-developers-9423014.html [h=1]Spurs step in to give much-loved Tottenham pub the Antwerp Arms reprieve from developers[/h]

Antwerp-arms.jpg

Reprieve: the Antwerp Arms was saved by last minute donations
Robin de Peyer
Published: 23 May 2014
Updated: 09:45, 23 May 2014

An historic London pub has been given a reprieve from redevelopment after a flood of last minute donations.

Shares were offered in the Antwerp Arms in Tottenham after it was put up for sale by its owner in June.

Locals feared the site would be converted into flats, and so set about raising funds by selling shares in the pub to punters.

For the pub to have a chance of staying open, investors needed to raise £125,000 by yesterday lunchtime.

And campaigners reached their target with just hours to spare after donations from Tottenham Hotspur Football Club and local MP David Lammy, among other secret investors.

To mark yesterday's milestone, Spurs legend Gary Mabbutt turned out to pull a pint at the pub.

A Tottenham club spokesman said: "As a Club with strong ties to its local community and fan base, we recognise the important role that the Antwerp Arms plays in terms of providing a popular meeting place for supporters on a matchday, as well as being part of the area’s heritage.

"The Club, along with our Supporters Trust, is therefore delighted to have shown its support for the Antwerp Arms Association.”

So, will there be a tunnel from the ground for the STHs ?

I don't think that's what he's saying?

The stadium wouldn't have to be fully built within 15 months. The original plans were that much of the construction work would happen whilst the old stadium was still in place I think? That could still happen, but the final phase of the construction process might happen quicker with a ground share in that final season?

I got the impression that it was what Dubai was saying when he wrote: "moving elsewhere and letting the construction teams work unimpeded and with their own designs (free from the necessity of fully completing a section and then moving on the other ones)".

I could understand if Spurs wanted to relocate for the entire duration of the construction. That would save us a year. But to move out just for the final stage of construction makes little sense to me. It won't save us any time and it's fairly common to complete a stadium while the remainder is in use - as at Bilbao currently, for example, and when either end of the current WHL was being redeveloped back in the mid / late 90's.

Back