• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Does anyone know/remember what's happening with the old west stand gates?

They going in the museum or will they be used in as part of the Nicholson statue to replicate the famous photo of him holding them open?

Does anyone know/remember what's happening with the old west stand gates?

They going in the museum or will they be used in as part of the Nicholson statue to replicate the famous photo of him holding them open?
They will be placed by the stairs leading up to the south stand podium, next to the Tottenham experience/shop.

Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question. I'm talking about the area hidden by the cladding in this image to the right of the main entrance. You can't see in this picture if there are more panels and glazing beneath the exterior. I guess there must be a drawing somewhere showing the elevation of the finished building without the cladding/veil installed.

Edit: got it (here if you are interested)

I was going to post that then realised the west entrance has been updated since those renders so they are out of date.

Does anyone else think that the West stand is awfully close to the road and traffic? Can’t be safe from vehicles and stuff.

It’s most likely going to have pillars and things bordering it off but it’ll still be close.

Does anyone else think that the West stand is awfully close to the road and traffic? Can’t be safe from vehicles and stuff.

It’s most likely going to have pillars and things bordering it off but it’ll still be close.

That's partly why the south stand concourse and the podium area are such a focus for fan congregation. I suspect before the game you'll be directed not to loiter around there, either enter to the west stand atrium or head to the north/south areas. And of course post game the road will be closed off

I was going to post that then realised the west entrance has been updated since those renders so they are out of date.
Check down that page a little further. The new entrance is in the drawings along with an elevations showing the panelling and glazing on the stadium without the perforated cladding (the colourful pictures).

Last edited:
If Shrewsbury get promoted this spring, it will bring the issue to a head in England
Not next season it won't. As things stand Shrewsbury will be obliged either to oblige fans to sit in their safe standing area seats or leave them vacant.

'Following promotion (to the Championship) clubs have three years in which to convert their ground to all seated. If a club is relegated before that three year deadline the countdown to the all seated requirement stops. In other words if a club is relegated at the end of the first season, one year of the three year deadline has expired. If that club subsequently secures promotion in the future it would have just two years remaining in which to meet the all seated deadline.

Where a club has not met the all seated deadline at the end of three years the decision as to whether or not to restrict the admission of spectators to just the seated accommodation is taken by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. Before taking that decision the Secretary of State consults the FLA. We in turn consult the club and the local authority responsible for issuing the safety certificate to the ground to ask if there are any reasons why they feel the club should be granted a dispensation from meeting the all seated requirement. Such dispensations have been granted for one or more years where, at the end of the three year deadline, a club is in the process of building a new all seated ground. In such cases it would be unreasonable to expect the club to spend money on converting its existing ground in addition to that spent developing a new ground.

If a club does not request a dispensation, or requests one which is not granted, any remaining terracing has to be taken out of use. If the club then continued to admit spectators to that standing accommodation it would be in breach of the licence issued by the FLA under the provisions of the Football Spectators Act 1989. In such cases the club would be liable to prosecution and if convicted could be fined. To date no club has sought to breach its licence conditions.'​

As things stand Shrewsbury will not be able to appeal for a dispensation until the full three seasons are up. Even then they would not be able to meet the test of 'reasonable' grounds.

Last edited:
So with that in mind a good two maybe even 3 seasons at least as it is? Or is it the opposite and Shrewsbury’s position has no bearing on it?
I've just edited my post but the bolded bit of your reply is correct. Whether to stand or sit in the safe standing area will be irrelevant for the first three seasons. There will be nothing for Shrewsbury to make an appeal about until and unless they remain in the Championship for a fourth season.

If Shrewsbury get promoted this spring, it will bring the issue to a head in England
According to Wikipedia, New Meadow, Shrewsbury's ground, was built in 2007 as an all-seater stadium, but in June 2017 the club applied for permission for some safe standing conversion, at a cost of £75,000, which may or may not have been completed. If they can convert to safe standing, I suspect they can change it back. Either way it doesn't appear to be the massive problem you are implying.

According to Wikipedia, New Meadow, Shrewsbury's ground, was built in 2007 as an all-seater stadium, but in June 2017 the club applied for permission for some safe standing conversion, at a cost of £75,000, which may or may not have been completed. If they can convert to safe standing, I suspect they can change it back. Either way it doesn't appear to be the massive problem you are implying.

If they have converted to safe standing, i.e. rail seating, why would they have to convert it back? Isn't that exactly what we will have in NWHL - a future safe standing area where you currently have to be seated? Or would we have to do something extra should safe standing become permitted?

So with that in mind a good two maybe even 3 seasons at least as it is? Or is it the opposite and Shrewsbury’s position has no bearing on it?

Do you mean would the Shrewsbury situation have any bearing on whether safe standing would be allowed in the Championship/PL if Shrewsbury were promoted? If so, then no, I don't think it would.
Even if there were lots of support for it and politicians were minded to approve it into law (and I don't think we are anywhere near that level of support yet), parliamentary time is likely to be pretty full over the next few years with Brexit legislative work. I can't see priority being given to something like this. Not for football.

Back