• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Re: Northumberland Development Project

I think the Conservative have good reason to invest in Tottenham. They will never win in Tottenham but the Mayor of London has become a high profile position and Boris allows them to claim a major city. Boris can demonstrate (or at least argue) that he cares about poor areas. Investment in Tottenham can help him get re-elected (if allowed?) or gain more nation prominence. He is remarkably popular for his rather right-wing positions on most things and this can help his image. More generally, the Conservatives need to be able to win the Mayors position and there are enough areas close to Tottenham where they do have legitimate chances.

Given the publicity around the Tottenham scheme, it would be staggering if he wasn't putting pressure on Pickles to approve the CPO.

To an extent I agree with the latter part because the CPO will not cost the government anything but a small compnesation which i expect they would pass onto us. So boris will want that passed, but when it comes to actual money and I know we received a little, I would not expect Tottenham to get bugger all.

To an extent I agree with the latter part because the CPO will not cost the government anything but a small compnesation which i expect they would pass onto us. So boris will want that passed, but when it comes to actual money and I know we received a little, I would not expect Tottenham to get bugger all.

The only improvement I can see any government making in the Tottenham area is in transport, so that "hard working people" (cheap labour) can be moved in and out of the city and west end. Which would have a knock on effect for Spurs

Completely agree. Whilst studying Politics I met a few people from the third sector and they said to get a real chance of receiving the full amount you need nothing betters having the same party for the council, seat and government, anything else and you'll be relying upon on luck.

Sums up why I can't stand party Politics, even one of America's founding fathers John Adam's absolutely despised it.

Yeah, i can't stand party politics for the same reasons. What I can't stand is that whenever the party in power puts forward a policy, the opposition almost feel obliged to criticise it in a petty/childish way or imply that the policy shows that the party in power is 'out of touch'/'unfit to govern' etc.

I long for the day when a policy is put forward and all the parties go "actually, this is a pretty good policy, i like it".

I hate the stupid point scoring and the fact that the houses of parliament resemble a bunch of 5 year olds squabbling over who gets to ride the new tricycle at nursery school.

Politicians care more about making sure they get re-elected than actually doing anything useful.

not sure about North and East. But the East and West could easily be knocked down and increased to much larger stands. I think they only hold 16,000 of the current total. so an East that could hold 20.000 and a West that could hold 20,000 would get the ground up to 60,000 and it would not be an identikit stadium. The west has plenty of space behind it and im sure that Worcestor road could be claimed to a certain degree?
I may be completely wrong but I thought the east stand facade was listed or protected somehow which is why a redevelopment was never an option.
I'm happy to be corrected on that.

I may be completely wrong but I thought the east stand facade was listed or protected somehow which is why a redevelopment was never an option.
I'm happy to be corrected on that.

Surely if it was protected the current project would've rejected by the planning authorities?

Another problem would be WHL's pitch dimensions, it is the second smallest in the league and it is believed the club want to increase pitch dimensions. With both the Paxton and Park Lane being so close the pitch it would be hard to increase the length if you were to just rebuild the East and West stands.

Also, Levy has stated on many occasions that he does not want to lose any matchday revenues during a capacity increase and as a result redevelopment of the current site is not an option. If the CPO is rejected then I get the feeling we'll be looking for another site with an over all delay of 4-6 years as a result of having to find a new site, possibly a new design because of the surrounding area and local demands, planning, potentially another CPO, funding, tender, construction etc etc etc.

I think it's harder to fill a larger ground now that so many matches are shown live.

Also, so many fixtures are away from our traditional times - Sat 3pm & Wed 7:30. Such changes often at 3wks notice.

It's bad enough for the locals, but those planning trips in the impact is re-organising entire weekends. For those with kids it is a nightmare.

I suspect after the initial flurry any large stadium would only have a large take-up following some success on the field.

Tottenham has suffered from the fact that as it is a labour strong hold labour will never spend money on it as they would rather target seats they do not hold but could win. When we have a tory government like we do now they will never spend money on Tottenham because they see it as lost money as they can not win the seat.

It is the same in all safe seats no matter who is in power.

Maybe all such areas should start nationwide riots.

Last edited:

I think it's harder to fill a larger ground now that so many matches are shown live.

Also, so many fixtures are away from our traditional times - Sat 3pm & Wed 7:30. Such changes often at 3wks notice.

It's bad enough for the locals, but those planning trips in the impact is re-organising entire weekends. For those with kids it is a nightmare.

I suspect after the initial flurry any large stadium would only have a large take-up following some success on the field.

Five seasons ago Brighton were averaging 6.4k in a 8.9k capacity stadium in League 1. Since gaining promotion and moving into the Amex, they've been averaging 27k in a 30k capacity.

So, if a provincial town the size of Brighton (pop 156k) can average 27k in the Championship is it really so fanciful to expect a big-city club like Tottenham to average at least double that in the PL?

Five seasons ago Brighton were averaging 6.4k in a 8.9k capacity stadium in League 1. Since gaining promotion and moving into the Amex, they've been averaging 27k in a 30k capacity.

So, if a provincial town the size of Brighton (pop 156k) can average 27k in the Championship is it really so fanciful to expect a big-city club like Tottenham to average at least double that in the PL?

Like a beach volleyball team, those are interesting figures. I've always assumed we'll have no problem filling any new ground but that's some good info to have to support my view, cheers.

The withdean where Brighton played before the Amex was awful, it had an athletics track and was pretty open so you used to get soaked when it rained.

Brighton have always been quite well supported, when they were in the old 4th division as was they used to get gates of 30,000 apparently.

I agree that we could fill out a 60,000 stadium, we would have to sell some tickets a little cheaper I guess. I would probably go more often if i thought i could get a ticket in the area I want to sit with out to much hassle.

I need cheering up, can someone please post that GIF of Levy with a wheelbarrow falling flat on his ****?

I need cheering up, can someone please post that GIF of Levy with a wheelbarrow falling flat on his ****?

With pleasure.

Levy+Wheelbarrow.gif

This is where the promotion (which you might call 'success') comes into play. Also they have fan coaches from outlying areas that don't suffer the repeated re-scheduling of matches.

Sort of backs what I said.

Other local factors with Brighton - only sizeable club in Sussex, no neighbouring clubs (unless they play in the French leagues), ground built next to (new?rebuilt) railway station, recently given City status, green council (no green race riots to date). Oops - getting a bit flippant there.

This is where the promotion (which you might call 'success') comes into play. Also they have fan coaches from outlying areas that don't suffer the repeated re-scheduling of matches.

Other local factors with Brighton - only sizeable club in Sussex, no neighbouring clubs (unless they play in the French leagues), ground built next to (new?rebuilt) railway station, recently given City status, green council (no green race riots to date). Oops - getting a bit flippant there.

It was built on land sold to them by the University of Brighton, in fact my first year living on campus was the year construction began and they knocked down our SU bar #-o

On the other side of the tracks, and motorway, is the University of Sussex. You'd think with it being sandwiched between university campuses there'd be hell on Earth but on the whole it's actually been a great mix with no complaints.

Another thing to note about this project is that like our one it was desogned by KSS Design and met with loads of delays, worse than ours. From Wikipedia

Planning permission was given by the unitary authority of Brighton and Hove in June 2002, with the intention of the stadium being ready for the 2005–06 season.[4] The plans for the stadium were fought by neighbouring Lewes District Council and local residents.

Didn't open until 2011 :eek:

Will not be a green council for much longer Mr Kitkat(the leader) yes that is his real name has faced 2 votes of no confidence and has just passed with the help of the local tories a ridiculous bill to spend 35m on a tower on the seafront, utter madness.

Also there green politician in Brighton Caroline whatever has 3 homes yet lectures others on multiple home ownership, she should not even be able to stand at the next election after getting arrested at the fracking protests, people holding a criminal record should not be allowed to be politicians.

Thought it might interest some to know what was really going on, not that this has a lot to do with Tottenham and I agree with the point we can fill a bigger stadium but the price of tickets will certainly come down for some games.

Will not be a green council for much longer Mr Kitkat(the leader) yes that is his real name has faced 2 votes of no confidence and has just passed with the help of the local tories a ridiculous bill to spend 35m on a tower on the seafront, utter madness.

Also there green politician in Brighton Caroline whatever has 3 homes yet lectures others on multiple home ownership, she should not even be able to stand at the next election after getting arrested at the fracking protests, people holding a criminal record should not be allowed to be politicians.

Thought it might interest some to know what was really going on, not that this has a lot to do with Tottenham and I agree with the point we can fill a bigger stadium but the price of tickets will certainly come down for some games.

Met her once, can't fracking stand her.

Whilst studying Politics we were given a unique opportunity in the run up to the general election to have a Q & A with her. Whilst many licked her ass I asked her the following:

"If you were proven wrong by recent research in the arctic and other parts of the World that global warming was in fact just another cycle in Earth's life and not man made, would change your approach or policies?"

She looked stunned, then went onto say how that couldn't even be answered as her lot had already been proven right and it was a pointless question. Although my lecturer was impressed by it, especially as it had turned into a brown nose contest. Further more after the Q & A she spoke and shook hands with all the students, as I spoke to her she looked as if some had p!ssed on her chips. All politicians have to have their defense mechanisms due to the meticulous approach of finding weaknesses in argument and sometimes character but f@ck me she's the Thatcher of the left, disagree with her and you're wrong, end of story.

Back to the Politics of our own stadium, is there word on when the CPO decision will be made?

Back