• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

There are many reasons some people won't be able to go to home games in MK mate. Here's a couple. Imagine a Dad with younger kids. Gets the dispensation to go to the Lane as he's back by, say, 6-6.30. Add two hours onto that for MK. Kibosh! Probably has to negotiate for half the amount of home games he could go to before. Financial is a big factor too, like it or not. It would be a great gesture if the club could make a deal with one of our many sponsors to offset the train costs for, say, ST holders and members. You know, a tenner off each day return train ticket on match days. Would not be hard to put into action. What you have to remember is that even if someone has a limited budget and has chosen to forgo any other 'pleasures' so as they can go to the Lane every two weeks, the extra 25-30 quid a home match, added with the time, could well be a backbreaker. It is what it is, we all want the better stadium especially as it is in the same area/location as our proper spiritual home, but there is no doubt at all that MK is going to be a tricky one and that it isn't black and white as to who will/won't go...

But its swings and roundabouts Steff, we have a mate who lives in Bedford who we pick up when we travel north for the games. If you use the same instance you suggest it takes him around two hours to get to the Lane so he misses the mid week games, now if we go to MK it will only take him 30 minutes max so he will be able go to them.

It might be a good thing to get some fresh blood going to games. Some of the 'old guard' do nothing but moan anyway.

(Edit - that post is not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation)

Was thinking that there'd be plenty of MK fans to make up the numbers midweek who'd want to see some European football should we be getting some unfashionable group game stage games

Well I guess this is a wait and see job. Truth is that I have not decided. I know my nephew will not be able to go to as many games, so I'm at a loss to work out what the best thing to do is. I will need to find someone else to take my second season ticket! I think the truth is that it will depend on how I feel about the team and if I can find another person to take with me!

But its swings and roundabouts Steff, we have a mate who lives in Bedford who we pick up when we travel north for the games. If you use the same instance you suggest it takes him around two hours to get to the Lane so he misses the mid week games, now if we go to MK it will only take him 30 minutes max so he will be able go to them.

And it isn't me

The key is surely that if people can't go to !K because if their circumstances then that's fair enough and as long as that gets recognised in a fair way when moving back so be it

What a move there would do is open they door to plenty of fans who are hardcore Spurs in surrounding areas (we had over 250 from Bedford in our fan club and at its peak had about 100 going down on the train at an agreed time). But more importantly for the club it opens doors to marginal fans and new supporters plus of course a different corporate market with all the companies that are moving to MK (plenty are moving from London to MK)

It's short term pain for some but for long term gain.

Wembley could come off but I doubt it personally. MK is they most likely in that they would bite out hand off to get us in.

What we do know is that we as fans have no control over what will be available (please don't mention the THST) and what will happen will force us all into making short term decisions

Well I guess this is a wait and see job. Truth is that I have not decided. I know my nephew will not be able to go to as many games, so I'm at a loss to work out what the best thing to do is. I will need to find someone else to take my second season ticket! I think the truth is that it will depend on how I feel about the team and if I can find another person to take with me!

I'm sure the club will allow you to park your season ticket for the away season

I'd much prefer Wembley. Just as easy to drive to (as long as you avoid all the IKEA tossers), but it's got a hotel right on its doorstep.

Would make my life much easier.

It has little or nothing to do with extra costs for me personally. Time's an issue, because it would mean I'd have to get to work earlier so as to be able to leave in time for evening games (and hence travel closer to peak times, which I'm not willing to do unless I absolutely have to). It would be doable, but enough of an irritation that I'm not realistically going to want to bother.

I just can't be аrsеd with the travelling and I'm disinclined to put myself through it. I'd dread the packed tube journey to Wembley every game; I'll do it on special occasions, but the thought of enduring it every other week? Forget it, and MK would almost certainly be even more onerous, even if I went in the car. Anyway, I'm not about to pay the congestion charge, so for evening kick-offs, that would mean I'd have to make a detour home first if I wanted to do that.

I could kid myself I'll just go on the motorcycle, but that's not going to be fun in ѕhіt weather either, plus I'd be lumbered with all my gear. Basically, if it's not practical for me to walk or push-bike it, and it takes more than 20 or 30 minutes, it ain't happening.

I'm not bіtching in the slightest, by the way; I'm quite happy to take a sabbatical and forego all that grief. It also means I don't have to care what the final decision is on the venue.

Last edited:
I don't mind MK purely because its 16 miles up the road from me, very quick up the A5 via Dunstable and through Bletchley. But it will be a nightmare for anyone from London. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being disinginueos. Some of the die harders will still make the effort but the cost and time impact is a real issue for them. How being worried about cost and time is a sign of not being a proper fan is beyond logical.

MK will be a pain, but I would say the silence means that other options are being looked at. I think @mudshark has hit the tickle my balls with a feather in terms of his view. Take it or leave it if it does happen, but we will be going into an absolutely awesome stadium. A small price to pay for the stadium, but let's hope we do get Wembley. I'm not sure how Chelsea will get their planning in place that early. I'm sure there are a lot of newts in that area!

My thoughts are that I am more than happy for THFC to spend a single season at Stadium MK if an alternative stadium in London is not an option. The problem is that we're unlikely to ever know the full story here in terms of whether other options were not available or were just too expensive (and if the latter then too expensive by how much exactly).

I'm sure we will find that our fans in the Midlands and locals around MK will ensure the stadium is full/close to full for each game. However there will be a reasonable section of our existing supporter base that will find it very difficult to attend. My sons for example are now at that age where they go to Spurs games with their friends from school, they have all been lapping up the Carling Cup and UEFA Cup games the past season or two due to the cheap and available tickets. They are still too young to drive so have to use public transport. I think both the cost and the sort of time they'd be getting home at night would put paid to them being able to attend. I know MK might end up being a necessary evil, but I hope that the club do all they can to avoid this even if that results in a negative impact on our finances.

It has little or nothing to do with extra costs for me personally. Time's an issue, because it would mean I'd have to get to work earlier so as to be able to leave in time for evening games (and hence travel closer to peak times, which I'm not willing to do unless I absolutely have to). It would be doable, but enough of an irritation that I'm not realistically going to want to bother.

I just can't be аrsеd with the travelling and I'm disinclined to put myself through it. I'd dread the packed tube journey to Wembley every game; I'll do it on special occasions, but the thought of enduring it every other week? Forget it, and MK would almost certainly be even more onerous, even if I went in the car. Anyway, I'm not about to pay the congestion charge, so for evening kick-offs, that would mean I'd have to make a detour home first if I wanted to do that.

I could kid myself I'll just go on the motorcycle, but that's not going to be fun in ѕhіt weather either, plus I'd be lumbered with all my gear. Basically, if it's not practical for me to walk or push-bike it, and it takes more than 20 or 30 minutes, it ain't happening.

I'm not bіtching in the slightest, by the way; I'm quite happy to take a sabbatical and forego all that grief. It also means I don't have to care what the final decision is on the venue.

Well at least you are being honest about it, unlike some who use all the excuses going.

Was thinking that there'd be plenty of MK fans to make up the numbers midweek who'd want to see some European football should we be getting some unfashionable group game stage games
Yeah I never thought of that. I guess you could suck in a few neutrals if the price was not exorbitant.

You have to think though that this is plan C , with Plan A being Wembley and Plan B being the Olympic stadium. And with both of those other options Levy has leverage of one kind or another. I see MK as pretty unlikely.

It might be a good thing to get some fresh blood going to games. Some of the 'old guard' do nothing but moan anyway.

(Edit - that post is not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general observation)

Well if it gets rid of the brain dead macarons (who start to bitch the moment the whistle goes) that sit near me that"s a good enough reason to move to MK to start with.

My thoughts are that I am more than happy for THFC to spend a single season at Stadium MK if an alternative stadium in London is not an option. The problem is that we're unlikely to ever know the full story here in terms of whether other options were not available or were just too expensive (and if the latter then too expensive by how much exactly).

I'm sure we will find that our fans in the Midlands and locals around MK will ensure the stadium is full/close to full for each game. However there will be a reasonable section of our existing supporter base that will find it very difficult to attend. My sons for example are now at that age where they go to Spurs games with their friends from school, they have all been lapping up the Carling Cup and UEFA Cup games the past season or two due to the cheap and available tickets. They are still too young to drive so have to use public transport. I think both the cost and the sort of time they'd be getting home at night would put paid to them being able to attend. I know MK might end up being a necessary evil, but I hope that the club do all they can to avoid this even if that results in a negative impact on our finances.

Completely understand that. It wouldn't surprise me if the club puts on some coaches or works out some help with travel arrangements. It's in their interests to as it would not be good to play in a neutral stadium with a neutral atmosphere. Having said that, some of our players may prefer that!

So your mate "cant be bothered" to support his team if his trip is too long?

Thinking laterally, how about QPR, Charlton, Fulham, Millwall, Palace? Would that be easier to get to via tube etc?

Charlton have got a decent ground, 27k capacity, nearly in Woolwich!

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/AreaMap.asp?view=ENGLAND

Seems to me like the Olympic Stadium is the obvious answer, it is in the correct vicinity, great transport links, taxpayer owned, desperate for cash (for the good PR) and those renters can't stop us if we get a groundswell of support from the public and politicians.

So your mate "cant be bothered" to support his team if his trip is too long?

Read the post again the point is by the time he gets home from work he will not have enough time to get to the Lane for kick off for the mid week games. For you information "my mate" is a ST holder and hardly ever misses a game. Obviously you never read the post correctly.

Read the post again the point is by the time he gets home from work he will not have enough time to get to the Lane for kick off for the mid week games. For you information "my mate" is a ST holder and hardly ever misses a game. Obviously you never read the post correctly.

I read your post fine, thank you.
You are not being consistent in your view.

Anyone else who can't get to a game for logistical reasons cant be bothered to support the Club, but if it's your mate, then then its because he simply doesnt have time to get there.

Back