• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur FC v Burnley ***

You must be proper enjoying this given your advocacy for Ange. I was very, very skeptical but he’s winning me over.

Maybe I have to reevaluate my opinion that Aussies know nothing about proper football :D

I'll ignore the dig ;)

Of course, very, very happy. I think some may have thought my advocacy was just a blind faith 'backing an Aussie who's won a few things' kind of thing but from watching him and his teams for 10 or so years it was clear he was a great fit. What I didn't expect was his style to have such an immediate impact - we dominate games, get the results and it's fudging fun to watch.

I still think there are tough results coming and we'll get a spanking soon (hopefully not arsenal or the Liverpool match I'll be at) but I think we can all agree things are looking very positive.

I have to say, this is like supporting a different club. The misery of the conte and mourinho years made me become completely indifferent towards football and the only time I have really felt that before were the dark days of Christian Gross, Gerry Francis and George Graham (although we did win a cup with Graham).

You look at the way we are playing, the feel good factor, the togetherness, the fact that they are buying into everything Ange says and does - it’s akin to how it was under Poch in his first few seasosns. This feels different though. Ange has a little bit of a bite about him, a bit of ruthlessness that keeps the players in edge. If things are not working, he isn’t afraid to make early substitutions, he doesn’t seem to give a brick about ego or reputations.

The feelgood factor is back at our club, I am enjoying watching us again - and I can’t wait for Daws to rub Mersons bitter and twisted nose in it with his “bottom half without Kane” comment. Merson has to be the most clueless pundit on TV.

I have to say, this is like supporting a different club. The misery of the conte and mourinho years made me become completely indifferent towards football and the only time I have really felt that before were the dark days of Christian Gross, Gerry Francis and George Graham (although we did win a cup with Graham).

You look at the way we are playing, the feel good factor, the togetherness, the fact that they are buying into everything Ange says and does - it’s akin to how it was under Poch in his first few seasosns. This feels different though. Ange has a little bit of a bite about him, a bit of ruthlessness that keeps the players in edge. If things are not working, he isn’t afraid to make early substitutions, he doesn’t seem to give a brick about ego or reputations.

The feelgood factor is back at our club, I am enjoying watching us again - and I can’t wait for Daws to rub Mersons bitter and twisted nose in it with his “bottom half without Kane” comment. Merson has to be the most clueless pundit on TV.

Agree completely, I do believe we will surprise people because that toxicity, lack of connection costed us on the field, same as the feel good will pay off on the field

Agree totally, but to be fair to Merson there were people on here saying the same thing - in fact even worse about how we could be in a relegation struggle without Kane.

Said it before Kane left, Ange ball is about all players contributing to the attack. Kane was great for us but all our play centred around him, everyone contributes equally now - we already have 7 or 8 different scorers 4 games into the season. Whilst Kane is my favourite ever Spurs player, it is far better for us long term not to be so reliant on one player....

Ha ha, just the 5 managers that made you hate football.
Oh yeah, and Santini. And Ramos. Oh and Sherwood of course. And when we just passed it back and forth under AVB. Apart from that, Spurs have been great. Oh yeah, and Stellini, that was chaos. But apart from that...

Ha ha, just the 5 managers that made you hate football.
Oh yeah, and Santini. And Ramos. Oh and Sherwood of course. And when we just passed it back and forth under AVB. Apart from that, Spurs have been great. Oh yeah, and Stellini, that was chaos. But apart from that...
No club gets it right all the time, the important thing is you get it right sometimes. I would rather dwell on Jol, Redknapp, and Pochettino (and hopefully now Postecoglou).

Agree totally, but to be fair to Merson there were people on here saying the same thing - in fact even worse about how we could be in a relegation struggle without Kane.

Said it before Kane left, Ange ball is about all players contributing to the attack. Kane was great for us but all our play centred around him, everyone contributes equally now - we already have 7 or 8 different scorers 4 games into the season. Whilst Kane is my favourite ever Spurs player, it is far better for us long term not to be so reliant on one player....

Key thing to understand here though - under conte without Kane we would be in deep shizzle. His system was built around blocking out the life of the game and hoping Kane or Son would conjure something.

Amazing that he didn't get picked up for that earlier in his career really.

A guy who works for me is merse's best friend, he's actually a decent guy who has a massively flawed character - gambling, drugs etc are a nightmare for him - he plays his role on sky very well, namely to talksport poke all the spurs fans into interacting with their advertising machine website and channels.

Merson seems a good guy to be fair. Has a great sense of humour and has obviously battled some severe demons. Respect to him for that.

I don’t take him seriously as a pundit for two reasons. Firstly, by his own admission, he isn’t particularly bright. Secondly, he’s a Chelsea fan and he played his best spell at Woolwich. So he hates us and his opinions are coloured by that. I’m fine with that…football is about tribalism.

Great post and agree with every word. I’m trying to remain level headed and not get too carried away, I’m just enjoying the style of play and the togetherness around the club, players, fans etc. As you say, he seems to have a ruthless streak about him and hasn’t been afraid to completely leave players out who were mainstays in the team for the last few years.

A guy who works for me is merse's best friend, he's actually a decent guy who has a massively flawed character - gambling, drugs etc are a nightmare for him - he plays his role on sky very well, namely to talksport poke all the spurs fans into interacting with their advertising machine website and channels.

Yeh my old man worked with his brother Gary at Société General yonks back and even he said the same thing. Saif he was flawed and would bet on what rain drop would reach the bottom of the window, such were his issues. But a top bloke

A fun watch but I'm not going to get carried away just yet. I've seen teams looking bright and scoring goals for fun early season, until they get worked out and put back in their box. Meanwhile, our defence is a soft touch, and that can be a hard tag to lose. Let's see where we are in another couple of months.

This is the football I loved, watched and played, it was about scoring more goals than your opponents not letting in less. That was far too simpler game and no need for a panel of arseholes to explain why that goal should not have been scored and this team had % of possession and 57 touches in a part of the field, who cares at the end of the day I want to see two teams trying to play not just trying to stop the other playing.

Last edited:
A fun watch but I'm not going to get carried away just yet. I've seen teams looking bright and scoring goals for fun early season, until they get worked out and put back in their box. Meanwhile, our defence is a soft touch, and that can be a hard tag to lose. Let's see where we are in another couple of months.

Think this is a sensible approach. I don’t expect Ange to do any better this season than Mourinho or Conte. They are more accomplished managers than him. However, it will be a far better watch as we’re already seeing. And that’s good enough for me - top 8 somewhere and good football.

I’m hoping we don’t have fans who think Ange is some sort of genius who has unlocked the secret of football and don’t ever expect to get beaten again.

Back