• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur FC v Burnley ***

Think this is a sensible approach. I don’t expect Ange to do any better this season than Mourinho or Conte. They are more accomplished managers than him. However, it will be a far better watch as we’re already seeing. And that’s good enough for me - top 8 somewhere and good football.

I’m hoping we don’t have fans who think Ange is some sort of genius who has unlocked the secret of football and don’t ever expect to get beaten again.

I think we have a better/different team than either of those managers had so don't see a reason to have their performance as a measure.

I think we have a better/different team than either of those managers had so don't see a reason to have their performance as a measure.

They are both very good managers and Conte particularly did well results wise. If Ange does as well in terms of results, he’ll have been successful. It’s still a massive ask for Ange to do better than both of them in terms of results.

As others have said we are a club who are trying to re-establish ourselves as a very good side who can play good football. So far under Ange we have made good strides towards that. However it will not be done overnight and it will take time to achieve that ( probably). But we have played some lovely stuff this season and that is down to Ange and his belief in his way of doing so, thankfully the players have ( so far) bought into it and you can see that they are enjoying their football once again.

Long may it continue.

It’s all going really well, plenty of credit all round, but we’ve played 4 really brick teams so far.

Not only brick, but naive ones that have played into our hands too.

Tougher games to come.

They are both very good managers and Conte particularly did well results wise. If Ange does as well in terms of results, he’ll have been successful. It’s still a massive ask for Ange to do better than both of them in terms of results.

That kinda just misses the point I'm making wrt this being a different team. Sons the only player getting a starting XI place that Mourinho was playing, for example, so how he fared here has no relation to whether or not AP is doing a good job or not.

That kinda just misses the point I'm making wrt this being a different team. Sons the only player getting a starting XI place that Mourinho was playing, for example, so how he fared here has no relation to whether or not AP is doing a good job or not.

And my point is around expectations. If people are expecting us to challenge for the league or get top 4, it’s unlikely this season IMO. I would hate to see fans get on their backs when the inevitable run of bad results comes.

And my point is around expectations. If people are expecting us to challenge for the league or get top 4, it’s unlikely this season IMO. I would hate to see fans get on their backs when the inevitable run of bad results comes.

We can manage expectations but I don't see the logic in using different managers with different teams as the basis.

If we're going to look back in order to gauge expectations then I'd probably compare the teams rather than managers first.

We can manage expectations but I don't see the logic in using different managers with different teams as the basis.

If we're going to look back in order to gauge expectations then I'd probably compare the teams rather than managers first.

Managers always get compared to predecessors. Happens at every club.

The potential danger, as I see it, is that people expect that better football will automatically result in better outcomes. And if we don’t finish top 4, I’d fear that some fans will say “well hang on, Conte got fourth and he was a disaster. This fella can’t be much good.”

Maybe I’m underestimating some of our fanbase but when you have some of them booing the team off on Tuesday in a League Cup tie, you have to wonder.

Think this is a sensible approach. I don’t expect Ange to do any better this season than Mourinho or Conte. They are more accomplished managers than him. However, it will be a far better watch as we’re already seeing. And that’s good enough for me - top 8 somewhere and good football.

I’m hoping we don’t have fans who think Ange is some sort of genius who has unlocked the secret of football and don’t ever expect to get beaten again.
That's all fine and well, but unless Woolwich beast United by 6 goals today, we're going into the international break sitting in 2nd place. :p

Managers always get compared to predecessors. Happens at every club.

The potential danger, as I see it, is that people expect that better football will automatically result in better outcomes. And if we don’t finish top 4, I’d fear that some fans will say “well hang on, Conte got fourth and he was a disaster. This fella can’t be much good.”

Maybe I’m underestimating some of our fanbase but when you have some of them booing the team off on Tuesday in a League Cup tie, you have to wonder.

I think it's impossible to underestimate some of our fanbase.

Yeah but the answer is we have only beaten brick teams. That’s the blanket view of those who haven’t watched us

That may, or may not be true… we will see

but the key for us is it builds confidence

I’ve watched every game, still reckon those teams are brick.

Lot of brick in the PL this year.

Vicario 7 - maybe deserves more for that deflected looped save. Got his foot to the first goal shot, but was neigh impossible to save, as was their second into the corner. 7.5

Porro 7 - should be an 8 but defensively he was beaten. Looks like quite a player that 18 yo. Maybe we hadn't prepared for the Italian and Porro was caught cold, he had Porro on toast. Porro gets a 7 because of the beaut of a pass for Son, and his attacking contributions. Many on here said he couldn't play RB! :D Not only does he fit with Anges way of playing (Royal does not), he will get better defensively. It is not his instinctive game, but he is improving.

Romero 10 - not sure what else you could ask for?

VDV - 8 - love the way he compliments Romero. 1-1 he is as good as they come. Has confidence in his pace and strength and can snuff out anyone. He was too quick for one of their goals and went past the ball!

Udogie 8.5 - is there a better LB in the league? I don't think so. This system also suits him.

Last edited:
Yeah but the answer is we have only beaten brick teams. That’s the blanket view of those who haven’t watched us

That may, or may not be true… we will see

but the key for us is it builds confidence

It certainly worked for Arse last season. The momentum they gained from their incredibly easy start to the season, was a pretty big factor in their overall title challenge, IMO.

Not at all claiming we will challenge for the title, but a good starting momentum could be beneficial for us too, regardless of the quality of the teams we beat.

It certainly worked for Arse last season. The momentum they gained from their incredibly easy start to the season, was a pretty big factor in their overall title challenge, IMO.

Not at all claiming we will challenge for the title, but a good starting momentum could be beneficial for us too, regardless of the quality of the teams we beat.

If you can beat those you should be beating, that's where you pick the most points up. The rest is a bonus

Back