• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Torres

His comment is self-serving, but that doesn't mean it's without merit.

I'd agree with him if it weren't for the fingernails. That part of it added a twist of violence to the incident that just pushing someone in the face wouldn't have had. But in general JM's point is an astute one - English football culture is harsher on dishonourable acts like dangerous tackles and diving than it is on heat-of-the-moment handbagging that might look dramatic or violent but aren't actually going to hurt anyone. They get this balance horribly wrong in Spain and it seriously disrupts my enjoyment of La Liga.

It's also sanctimonious when it comes to cheating. If John Terry had done what Suarez did in South Africa 3 years ago, the English media would have portrayed him as a hero.

Diving is a "foreign disease" which has only "crept into the game with the foreign influx to the Premier League" even though English players have dived for decades.

It's also sanctimonious when it comes to cheating. If John Terry had done what Suarez did in South Africa 3 years ago, the English media would have portrayed him as a hero.

Diving is a "foreign disease" which has only "crept into the game with the foreign influx to the Premier League" even though English players have dived for decades.

I don't think this foreign influx is true, Personally I think its a case of European competition has brought it in with clubs deciding to fight fire with fire and then in the premiership it is a case of win at all costs so its slowly cultivated itself there too.

I don't think this foreign influx is true, Personally I think its a case of European competition has brought it in with clubs deciding to fight fire with fire and then in the premiership it is a case of win at all costs so its slowly cultivated itself there too.

Yeah but even before the Premier League era, players like Rodney Marsh and Gary Linekar still dived.

Having thought about this for a bit I think AVB did the right thing.

He slams the decision by the FA from an objective viewpoint, something that just about everyone can see including a former referee, journalists and fans of other teams. A to me almost unassailable position.

He specifically states that he's not getting dragged into some poop-flinging match with Mourinho. He doesn't want to stoop to his level. He even points his finger at Mourinho for going there in the first place and he refuses to go there himself. He stays objective and he stays professional, as he so often does.
I agree with you to a point. My problem is the timing of AVB's intervention. Mourinho effectively made the running with this one by his comments after the game. The next day most observers including several posters on this board were talking about Vertonghen and the wrongful sending off, masking Torres' despicable actions. There is no point AVB going on the offensive against the FA now that will only get himself into trouble, he should have condemned Torres at the time that's not imo sinking to the special cnut's level, it is protecting your player. Mourinho has effectively succeeded in casting Vertonghen as a villain. Any way as other posters have said - we move on.

Back