• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Torres

Yes I do.

Justice was served with the sending off. I said that earlier in this thread.

It should have been a straight red at the time but I should have won the lottery tonight.
I presumed you referring to the above video where Mourinho is spouting self serving nonsense. If I've misunderstood you my apologies. If you are agreeing with him then no apology. If you believe the FA are protecting then integrity of the game with the Torres decision then I think you unequivocally wrong.

Unbelievable.

[video=youtube;5yVMQO8yxXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVMQO8yxXM[/video]

His comment is self-serving, but that doesn't mean it's without merit.

I'd agree with him if it weren't for the fingernails. That part of it added a twist of violence to the incident that just pushing someone in the face wouldn't have had. But in general JM's point is an astute one - English football culture is harsher on dishonourable acts like dangerous tackles and diving than it is on heat-of-the-moment handbagging that might look dramatic or violent but aren't actually going to hurt anyone. They get this balance horribly wrong in Spain and it seriously disrupts my enjoyment of La Liga.

Ah come on now. I'm an office monkey. The two aren't comparable. If someone did it to me though I wouldn't go running to the police.

Id either smack him or, if I knew that would get me a beating, give him some verbals.

Your reaction would be the same as mine but I wouldn't care about getting a beating back lol At least we agree punishment should be given back. What form that is taken in doesn't matter as long as it does.

Its not about running to police though, its about whats right and wrong when something happens in the public domain. Lets hope not one kid that saw that thinks its ok to do it on a football field and injures another kid, worse case, actually gauges the eye. If that happens on a Rugby pitch they get banned for 10 games.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas on the FA's decision not to ban Chelsea's Fernando Torres for scratching Jan Vertonghen's face during last Saturday's 1-1 draw: "Obviously, it is almost a farcical decision. It doesn't matter to me which player or club is involved.

"Neither do I want to with my words put into question Fernando's integrity; neither their manager's, in trying to defend what is our position. I think the FA has made a decision almost a joke. It looks incredible.

"How can you see the images, pretty clear, and come out without punishment, on something [which] overtakes all professional behaviour? I think the decision is a disgrace. We don't want Fernando suspended because it can make them weaker, because their bench is so strong, but I think the FA has lost all opportunity to put some sense into the images everybody saw."

Brave by AVB for coming out openly against the FA. But can see him being charged for that instead. Don't think he will mind that.

Since the FA decided not to act against Torres, can see all the dirty players scratching each other from now on.:lol:

I'd agree with him if it weren't for the fingernails. That part of it added a twist of violence to the incident that just pushing someone in the face wouldn't have had. But in general JM's point is an astute one - English football culture is harsher on dishonourable acts like dangerous tackles and diving than it is on heat-of-the-moment handbagging that might look dramatic or violent but aren't actually going to hurt anyone. They get this balance horribly wrong in Spain and it seriously disrupts my enjoyment of La Liga.

But the fingernails are irrelevant aren't they? Doesn't the FA punish simply on raising your hand to someone else's face? Sure that was the context last year.

Yes I do.

Justice was served with the sending off. I said that earlier in this thread.

It should have been a straight red at the time but I should have won the lottery tonight.

Justice was not served.

1. In our match (side point). He got sent off with a lot less time on the clock, after they had scored. This is not justice.

2. Suspensions. For two yellows he gets one match. For a direct red for violent conduct he would have gotten 3 games automatically. Had he gotten that direct red card there's also a very real chance he would have gotten another game or two on top of that. Getting a one match suspension when he deserved at least 3, possibly more. This is not justice.

Justice was not served.

1. In our match (side point). He got sent off with a lot less time on the clock, after they had scored. This is not justice.
2. Suspensions. For two yellows he gets one match. For a direct red for violent conduct he would have gotten 3 games automatically. Had he gotten that direct red card there's also a very real chance he would have gotten another game or two on top of that. Getting a one match suspension when he deserved at least 3, possibly more. This is not justice.

This is they key point, in the second half we were on the back foot for the vast majority, once he was finally sent off we pushed for the win, but we only had 10 mins left.... If he was sent off after 55/60mins (or was it still 1.0?) as he should have been we could have won the game!

the failure in sending him off was critical to the final score.....

Torres should have been given a harsher ban...

The FA's reasoning is shockingly poor... they are a corrupt self serving **** each other other amatuer body....

I'm with you on the difference in culture between the PL and La Liga but that is a red herring in this discussion, IMHO. Mourinho's comments serve only to deflect from the incident by cleverly attempting to mask Torres action in a shroud of British bulldog spirit. He implies that the different nature of the English game is somehow protected by the FA in their decision and I would argue the opposite. This decision does nothing but erode the integrity of the game in what is a pretty clear violent conduct incident.

Justice was not served.

=D> If only the FA had anyone capable of this level of (relatively straightforward) reasoning.

Brave by AVB for coming out openly against the FA. But can see him being charged for that instead.

I thought that as well. But then I realised that the FA should actually charge themselves with bringing the game into disrepute by their farcical application of the rules.

Neither do I want to with my words put into question Fernando's integrity; neither their manager's, in trying to defend what is our position.

What's that about? Mourinho had no problems calling vertonghen's integrity into doubt. AVB needs to man up and call Torres a disgrace rather than just taking the easy option of slamming the FA. Although I agree their decision is a disgrace.

Having thought about this for a bit I think AVB did the right thing.

He slams the decision by the FA from an objective viewpoint, something that just about everyone can see including a former referee, journalists and fans of other teams. A to me almost unassailable position.

He specifically states that he's not getting dragged into some poop-flinging match with Mourinho. He doesn't want to stoop to his level. He even points his finger at Mourinho for going there in the first place and he refuses to go there himself. He stays objective and he stays professional, as he so often does.

Brave by AVB for coming out openly against the FA. But can see him being charged for that instead. Don't think he will mind that.

Since the FA decided not to act against Torres, can see all the dirty players scratching each other from now on.:lol:

Could be of course. If the FA had a chant it should be "we rule how we want". However, looking at managers that have come out against referees AVB is walking the tightrope of criticism with a good sense of balance I think. He only talked objectively about the decision in isolation. Had he, like some of us have, said or insinuated that Torres only got away with it because he's at a big club, or because his manager is Mourinho or something like that he would almost certainly have been punished. But being critical about a single decision in isolation has, as far as I can remember, never been punished. And I don't think it will be this time either.

you can't isolate both incidents.

1. if torres would have been sent off for the first offence, there would not be a second incident

2. when the ref doesn't address such obvious matters, it is not unreasonable to expect that the player would.

Back