• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

Re: Carroll

Not at this point as the minimum is 8 home grown players. Zeki Fryers is 20 and won't have to be registered, meaning that we could sell one more of the players you listed and still have 8 home grown players over the age of 21 as of January first this year meaning that we could register a full 25 man squad. Although I'm not 100% sure about Europe as there's also a need for 4 of those 8 to have been home grown within the club. Not sure who qualifies tbh.

Also in Europe U21 players must have been with the club for at least 2 years to qualify for the B-list (unlimited registration). Meaning that Lamela and Eriksen won't have to be a part of the 25 man squad for us in the league, but for the EL they have to be a part of that 25 man squad. This difference in rules was the reason for VdV being left out of our EL squad back in 2011.

I imagine the club is well on top of this and no important players will be left out due to these regulations and that we will have enough players to get us through the season :)

I don't think we need 25 players with all the youngsters we have. Chelsea and Wigan have registered less than 20 on some occasions.

Not at this point as the minimum is 8 home grown players. Zeki Fryers is 20 and won't have to be registered, meaning that we could sell one more of the players you listed and still have 8 home grown players over the age of 21 as of January first this year meaning that we could register a full 25 man squad. Although I'm not 100% sure about Europe as there's also a need for 4 of those 8 to have been home grown within the club. Not sure who qualifies tbh.

Also in Europe U21 players must have been with the club for at least 2 years to qualify for the B-list (unlimited registration). Meaning that Lamela and Eriksen won't have to be a part of the 25 man squad for us in the league, but for the EL they have to be a part of that 25 man squad. This difference in rules was the reason for VdV being left out of our EL squad back in 2011.

I imagine the club is well on top of this and no important players will be left out due to these regulations and that we will have enough players to get us through the season :)

I think AVB wants a smaller squad tbh. There's always talk of him wanting 22 players. I dont think he really cares about squeezing as many players as possible into the premier league squad.

My main thought on Carroll going on loan is that AVB must see Eriksen as creative central midfield option.

And Palace is the perfect club for him. He doesnt have to move, their manager has a history of playing good football and they play with a 3 man central midfield which will suit him.

I don't think we need 25 players with all the youngsters we have. Chelsea and Wigan have registered less than 20 on some occasions.

I think AVB wants a smaller squad tbh. There's always talk of him wanting 22 players. I dont think he really cares about squeezing as many players as possible into the premier league squad.

I agree, but it would be a shame to either have to leave someone out or panic-sell on deadline day because there's no room.

I agree, but it would be a shame to either have to leave someone out or panic-sell on deadline day because there's no room.

The limit is 17 non-homegrown players.
We currently have 15 non-homegrown players including Gomes, Ade and BAE. You'd expect at least one of them to go before the end of the window if we're bring anyone else in after the 3 we have in the pipeline.

Last edited:

The limit is 18 non-homegrown players.
We currently have 15 non-homegrown players including Gomes, Ade and BAE. You'd expect at least one of them to go before the end of the window if we're bring anyone else in after the 3 we have in the pipeline.

The limit is 17 actually.

We should probably move this to the home grown players thread to avoid taking this further off topic. I wrote a post there earlier today highlighting why I think we might struggle to fit everyone in the EL squad even though we look fine for the PL squad.

Fryers also need to be registered as a senior player in Europa, due to the rule about having been with the club for 2 years.
Our club trained players involved with the first team are: Rose, Lennon, Bale and Townsend.
Obika and Dawkins also qualify, but not sure how much we'd like those to be in the squad.
Bale gone means we'll only be allowed 24 senior players in UEFA comp. Hence we're unlikely to get rid of Lennon, Rose and Townsend.

Another fine game from him tonight.

Those two chipped passes over their back 4 were just lovely. His touch before the shot in the first half after Holtby's (?) shot was blocked, instant control from that was just brilliant.

He probably deserves a PL loan to get regular football to keep improving.

Every time I have seen him hes pulled the strings.

A loan would probably be best but Id love him to stay around and play the cups.

Loan him out, let him play and develop. He has so much potential. I think he'll represent England soon, probably whilst with his loan club.

Genuinely talented with both feet and has great vision.

If he ends up going to CP he could end up being the biggest reason they stay up. Plays a ton of forward passes and would surely fit in well with how Holloway likes to play. Would also be a great opportunity for him to show us what he's really got in the Prem. A bit like what Rose and Walker have done on loan to prove themselves (though most still not convinced on Rose).

I'd only give him a loan if he was going to get first team games, otherwise I'd keep him until January and play him in the Europa and look to loan him out in the second half of the season. I can see Harry being interested in taking him to QPR.

Loan him out, let him play and develop. He has so much potential. I think he'll represent England soon, probably whilst with his loan club.

Possibly, not looking to restart the whole "England national team/development" debate, but it's telling that he only has a (small) handful of youth appearances for England whereas Jack Rodwell has dozens. In the trend of Michael Carrick only having 29 caps whilst Owen Hargreaves has 42 despite having his career cut short by injuries (all numbers from wiki, who knows, they might actually be correct).

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar trend continued for just a bit longer....

I'd only give him a loan if he was going to get first team games, otherwise I'd keep him until January and play him in the Europa and look to loan him out in the second half of the season. I can see Harry being interested in taking him to QPR.

That's obviously the problem. Impossible to know if they will actually play him, they might intend to, but if it doesn't work out straight away and Crystal Palace (for example) find themselves in a relegation fight it's easy to turn to more experienced players.

Like you I think giving him all the EL games, the CC games and some PL match time until January might be a good option. Would also mean having him around our coaches and playing alongside very good players when actually on the pitch.

Difficult choice, but I trust our management to make a good decision.

To start with i think well he needs to play in the league above, but how many teams in the prem would give him a chance. So yeah at xmas loan him to qpr and if they come straight back up maybe he would get a prem loan with them then. I love the little fella and think he offers as much as dembele.

When dembele was at fulham i wanted us to sign him but i have not taken to him yet, carroll is the player we need in our midfield because he offers something we can not get from any other player in our squad.

Possibly, not looking to restart the whole "England national team/development" debate, but it's telling that he only has a (small) handful of youth appearances for England whereas Jack Rodwell has dozens. In the trend of Michael Carrick only having 29 caps whilst Owen Hargreaves has 42 despite having his career cut short by injuries (all numbers from wiki, who knows, they might actually be correct).

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar trend continued for just a bit longer....

Sad but true.

To start with i think well he needs to play in the league above, but how many teams in the prem would give him a chance. So yeah at xmas loan him to qpr and if they come straight back up maybe he would get a prem loan with them then.

I think that he would benefit most from first team football, if a Premier League loan wouldn't offer it, he is better off dropping down a league and playing week in week out. We can always give him a half season Championship loan and see if anyone better comes in for him in January.

Back