• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

The thing with these players coming out (or reported) and saying they want to leave is they think we care?

after the last few seasons of brick they are more than welcome to leave.

I won’t shed a tear, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

same applies for 90 percent of the squad.

The thing with these players coming out (or reported) and saying they want to leave is they think we care?

after the last few seasons of brick they are more than welcome to leave.

I won’t shed a tear, don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

same applies for 90 percent of the squad.

It’s mostly agent talk I guess. I don’t take it too seriously and I doubt most of us do but it’s a reminder that whatever we invest emotionally in a player, we’re always going to be on the losing end of the relationship as fans.

I wouldn't put it past us selling Toby and only bringing in the Japanese defender whos heavily linked. Which would leave me very worried ahead of the new season

I broadly agree that he was our best CB last year (Rodon was arguably better but got very few matches), but best of our lot doesn't necessarily mean he was any good.

The decline in his performances is I think quite clear to see. He was never the best in the air but now it seems like he can't even jump. He has no place anymore, it's just kinda sad and painful watching him now because he was absolutely fantastic a few years ago.

But that's us going off in a tangent, the question was why didn't the club's who we thought would have an interest not come in for him especially with his very reasonable clause figure. I'm saying that is because those club's had detected what we hadn't quite realised yet, that he was physically declining and would not be the player he formally was.

I broadly agree that he was our best CB last year (Rodon was arguably better but got very few matches), but best of our lot doesn't necessarily mean he was any good.

The decline in his performances is I think quite clear to see. He was never the best in the air but now it seems like he can't even jump. He has no place anymore, it's just kinda sad and painful watching him now because he was absolutely fantastic a few years ago.

But that's us going off in a tangent, the question was why didn't the club's who we thought would have an interest not come in for him especially with his very reasonable clause figure. I'm saying that is because those club's had detected what we hadn't quite realised yet, that he was physically declining and would not be the player he formally was.

He's also on very big wages for a defender. Couldn't get in the team at atletico either.

At the time I thought he would have improved any of the top teams, even with the hindsight of his physical decline and him maybe not being as much of a leader his experience suggested for the price he was worth a 2 season gamble imo. It’s not even like he waited to be on a free to get a top wage increase. Maybe it was a rare case of being truly settled and happy here, not wanting any more pressure and us not offering him a deal until Mourinho overruled the previous decision not to?

As for looking for a move now, can only think it would be to go abroad for a slower league and maybe a slightly longer contract, as can’t see him getting a prem move up or down from us and would probably involve a pay cut.

Think this would be good for all parties

- I don't think any of us want to see Toby deteriorate any more, had some good moments last season, enough to remind us what he used to be.
- Last payday, a year or two and he can do his Belgium thing if he wants or retire
- We get some funds to rebuilding the side.

Paritici is a busy man, and it’s fun to watch.

Happy for Toby to go, but will so fondly remember his contributions. Easily one of our best CBs in my lifetime.
Will be remembered fondly, apparently his nickname was the business man as he just took care of business. Maybe not the grace of Jan and Ledley who I think raised the game of their playing partners but one of the most dependable we’ve had with the added bonus of the Toby diagonal ping!
I do wonder if he lost a tiny bit of recovery pace when he did his hammy against Madrid, as up until that point he’d been undroppable.

All for this, though technically he is the best centre back we have. Replacements hopefully coming sharpish or we could be lining up with Dier and Sanchez v City.

Anyone else extremely worried about the prospect of Eric fudging Dier and Davinson Sanchez aka the physically weakest CB in the league as our starting CB’s for next season? Literally as bad as it has been since the Gross/Hoddle/Pleat days.

Back