• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

It would be a big wage to get off the bill. I thought that he would sit out his contract

I meant passing quality from the back. Which is relatively rare in CBs

It should certainly be something that we look for in our CB signings. I don't think that he is particularly press resistant which I think is a problem. I'd be looking to sell two of Alderweireld, Dier and Sanchez and I'm not particularly bothered which two

I think that he's a decent defender but we need to shift players this summer and if there is a decent bid, we should accept it

Problem with that is that, at 32, we're probably not going to get much of a fee for him

Personally, I'd ideally keep him and sell Dier and Sanchez simply because if cash is as tight as it seems, it probably enables more of a rebuild, not because the other two are better, but they are younger and therefore probably worth more

That said, if he wants to go then I wouldnt stand in his way. Wonder whether we could get £10m-£15m from PSG for him....they're the most likely to overpay for him

Central one of a back three could suit him very well I'd think. Less exposed for a lack of pace. His experience and leadership ability could perhaps allow us to play two more inexperienced players either side if Rodon, Tanganga or a new signing fresh to the PL comes in.

If it's a question of keeping him, Dier or Sanches... The other two will obviously be better a year or two from now. But say we sign Tomiyasu, who would you want him to line up with to make it easier for him to get going quickly of those three? Alderweireld all day for me.

If we sign a new centre back we think can be the man we build our defence around, a leader with decent experience at least. Perhaps it's a different story.

Problem with that is that, at 32, we're probably not going to get much of a fee for him

Personally, I'd ideally keep him and sell Dier and Sanchez simply because if cash is as tight as it seems, it probably enables more of a rebuild, not because the other two are better, but they are younger and therefore probably worth more

That said, if he wants to go then I wouldnt stand in his way. Wonder whether we could get £10m-£15m from PSG for him....they're the most likely to overpay for him

I'd sell whoever we get bids for, I am not sure that we are in a position to be choosey

The other two will obviously be better a year or two from now
hmmm perhaps, though I'd suggest that it would just be form-related improvement if it does happen, rather than actual improvement of core skills - Dier is too old to see huge improvements and Sanchez just doesnt have the ability or footballing intelligence in my view

I wouldnt be surprised if we sign 2 CBs this summer, and ship 1-2 out

Central one of a back three could suit him very well I'd think. Less exposed for a lack of pace. His experience and leadership ability could perhaps allow us to play two more inexperienced players either side if Rodon, Tanganga or a new signing fresh to the PL comes in.

If it's a question of keeping him, Dier or Sanches... The other two will obviously be better a year or two from now. But say we sign Tomiyasu, who would you want him to line up with to make it easier for him to get going quickly of those three? Alderweireld all day for me.

If we sign a new centre back we think can be the man we build our defence around, a leader with decent experience at least. Perhaps it's a different story.

I think that there is a question mark about his leadership abilities. He isn't very vocal on the pitch and until recently, it was the junior player who was made to play on their wrong side to accommodate him. He's also been disruptive under the last two managers.

hmmm perhaps, though I'd suggest that it would just be form-related improvement if it does happen, rather than actual improvement of core skills - Dier is too old to see huge improvements and Sanchez just doesnt have the ability or footballing intelligence in my view

I wouldnt be surprised if we sign 2 CBs this summer, and ship 1-2 out
I was a bit unclear I think. I meant that they will be better than Alderweireld as he's likely to decline further with age. Not sure they will be better than they are now, though it could definitely still happen.
I think that there is a question mark about his leadership abilities. He isn't very vocal on the pitch and until recently, it was the junior player who was made to play on their wrong side to accommodate him. He's also been disruptive under the last two managers.
I agree that his leadership isn't great. But out of the current one's, on the pitch, who would you say is better at that? Dier?

Just thinking about who a new signing would be more likely to benefit from playing next to?

Alderweireld has been imo the only defender we've had since Vertonghen left that's made others look better with some consistency. The only player we could reasonably expect to put in a solid performance most games and contribute to us looking and feeling solid.

To put it differently. If he leaves we'll be even more desperate for leadership, consistency and experience at the back. I'd agree that we're already in need of that, but without him even more so.

If he wants to leave fine. Doubt he'll be able to find a club that will pay his wages though.

PSG. Poch likes him, he'll get a pay rise, can play in a slower league for a dominant team, win some trophies...if they give us €10m - €15m, its win/win/win

Toby has been a great player for us but he has not/is not the same player without Jan alongside him. He has also lost what pace he had and his decision making as well. If we get offers for him imo we should accept them.

Does he? Toby refused to sign a new contract with us while poch was here. Only signing after he left.

well, they had 4 seasons together. Plenty of opportunity for Poch to sell him if he didnt like him. The contract issues could well have been due to wages

Back