• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I stand by that - would have happily moved him on if it meant we were able to strengthen where needed.

If poch reintegrates him and we get a new contract out of it all the better but in the summer that didn't look a possibility- lets revisit next summer and see if he ends up at either Arsenal or Chelsea and whether people are still happy to make a point over not selling him to United

Why the hell would he go to arsenal.

Absolutely absurd statement.

The £25m release clause effectively makes him a free agent, so largely it's a matter of which club needs a CB and pays the most.

European clubs ranked by wage bill, below. Why is Arsenal particularly unlikely?

View attachment 4935
That is an interesting table. We pay just below the league average where our competitors (in this league) pay twice the league average, give or take.

The £25m release clause effectively makes him a free agent, so largely it's a matter of which club needs a CB and pays the most.

European clubs ranked by wage bill, below. Why is Arsenal particularly unlikely?

View attachment 4935

Why is it down to who pays him the most?

Surely at least two of the top clubs in the world will come in for him and assuming arsenal offered him more money, you're saying he would potentially choose them!?!?!?

I shouldn't have to waste my time logging in and replying to such utter nonesense.

I can see him signing a new contract. Why would he have been selected ahead of Sanchez last night otherwise? Last season when it seemed inevitable that Alderweireld would leave, he was dropped and left out of the side even when fit. So I assume that the stance has changed even if no official news has been, or will be announced, until contract is signed. Pochettino tends not to favour players whose head is elsewhere and who do not want to pledge their futures to the club.

I can see him signing a new contract. Why would he have been selected ahead of Sanchez last night otherwise? Last season when it seemed inevitable that Alderweireld would leave, he was dropped and left out of the side even when fit. So I assume that the stance has changed even if no official news has been, or will be announced, until contract is signed. Pochettino tends not to favour players whose head is elsewhere and who do not want to pledge their futures to the club.
Not entirely the case. He recalled Walker for a couple of games towards the end of the 2016/17 season despite the player having made it clear he wanted out.

Imo he would have gone to united if Martial was allowed to come the other way. We were at an impasse with United so no deal.

Looking at United last night to sell toby to them, even for more money, would 100% be strengthening them, and also we would need to line someone else up.

Toby staying has big plusses, formation switches, Dier more likely not required at CB and Sanchez,Foyth learning from an experienced professional. If that means £25m then so be it.

Let's also realise, and be happy that the days of Man Utd bending us over....have ended.

Hope you're right. Could also be that things have been handled amicably and all parties agree to wait to see what the future brings. Not selecting him would probably if anything just convince him further that he needs to leave. Get him on the pitch, try to get a new contract if possible. If not possible get the best out of him for his last season.

Alderweireld and Vertonghen is the best footballing choice for the centre back positions and I'm sure that influences Pochettino's decisions too.

Back