• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

At his age he wants the biggest payday he can get, all players give it the "I want to win things" gonads but it's the money they want.

The money will always be a factor and even though Mourinho is a clam and a dinosaur, they have a better chance of winning trophies whilst he is than we do there nevermind the resources they have compared to us. They may be playing with little identity or much of a plan going forward but they're still a huge club and 99% of players would still view them as a step up from us.

At his age he wants the biggest payday he can get, all players give it the "I want to win things" gonads but it's the money they want.

Easy for me to say, of course, but I like to think that if my options were (a) earn amazing money playing for a young team on the rise and (b) earn insane money playing for a team in turmoil with an unstable manager, I'd go for (a).

Even playing for us, I'm sure Toby makes more than 99 percent of the world's population.

In my employment I met many people of "celebrity" status and most had a completly different mind set than your normal person, what to you and me would be an amazing lifestyle is their minimum expectancy.

In fairness, I doubt many of us compare our earnings to those of the rest of the world's population. We compare against our peers, and our sense of our own value.
So when comparing with peers who are further up the salary scale, it's natural to want some semblance of parity.
And if you are after a final payday, then a club on the rise may be less attractive than a club already risen, as it were.

I agree many of us live to a far higher standard than the rest of the world but not to the obscene level of top footballers,

I don't disagree that (some) footballers earn extraordinary amounts of money. What irks me is that top footballers seem to be called out frequently for their high salaries, unlike top film stars, or top stars of other sports. In both of those there is often a lot more money than earned by top footballers. (poor things :) )

I don't disagree that (some) footballers earn extraordinary amounts of money. What irks me is that top footballers seem to be called out frequently for their high salaries, unlike top film stars, or top stars of other sports. In both of those there is often a lot more money than earned by top footballers. (poor things :) )

Who cares about any particular film or whether a star is in it or not? A football club is about love to most fans, thats why we expect more from the players.

You’d feel differently about your annual income if you had no prospects of earning a tenth as much after your mid-30s, and you needed to plan for the next 60 years of supporting your family.

Well, if you have already made £25 million or so in your career so far - which for Toby I believe is a modest estimate - and is likely to earn another £20 million before your mid thirties with a new contract at Spurs, you'd have enough money for a luxurious and comfortable life for yourself and your extended family. Even if you invested the money poorly. It's not like he'll have to settle for a modest house in a working class neighbourhood when he retires. Although he might not be able to afford a private jet, the poor thing.

I get the point about comparing wages with your peers, @Glenda's Legs, and of course he is used to a lifestyle I probably couldn't even imagine - but still. No sympathy from me.

Well, if you have already made £25 million or so in your career so far - which for Toby I believe is a modest estimate - and is likely to earn another £20 million before your mid thirties with a new contract at Spurs, you'd have enough money for a luxurious and comfortable life for yourself and your extended family. Even if you invested the money poorly. It's not like he'll have to settle for a modest house in a working class neighbourhood when he retires. Although he might not be able to afford a private jet, the poor thing.

I get the point about comparing wages with your peers, @Glenda's Legs, and of course he is used to a lifestyle I probably couldn't even imagine - but still. No sympathy from me.
I think you are underestimating the amount of hair product he uses.

Made a shaky start, I counted four passes that went astray in the first 15 mins or so, but second half, so many brilliantly timed tackles.

WE GOT OUR TOBY BACK!

Both cb’s got turned around a lot, a few lunges and tackles needed as well, considering what a donkey Lukaku is there were too many chances given up.

Back