• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

But we have to sell Toby in order to provide us the resources, and squad space, to strengthen other areas.

Do we? Since when?

Everyone is talking about either a straight swap with Martial, or using the Toby money to buy DeLigt as a replacement (net 0 virtually).

So why would we need to sell him for resources to strengthen other areas?

And squad places - there are plenty of non HG Id see leave instead of Toby if we could keep him.

Do we? Since when?

Everyone is talking about either a straight swap with Martial, or using the Toby money to buy DeLigt as a replacement (net 0 virtually).

So why would we need to sell him for resources to strengthen other areas?

And squad places - there are plenty of non HG Id see leave instead of Toby if we could keep him.

Your point was that it's ok if Toby stays and we use our resources to strengthen other areas. My question is what resources if we don't manage to sell Toby or anyone else?

Let's take the straight swap with Martial. That's great but it shows Toby has to go there in order for Martial to come to us. Selling Toby provides the resources to buy Martial

If Toby stays, who is else is even close to moving on before the window closes to give us the resources to buy who we want?

Your point was that it's ok if Toby stays and we use our resources to strengthen other areas. My question is what resources if we don't manage to sell Toby or anyone else?

Let's take the straight swap with Martial. That's great but it shows Toby has to go there in order for Martial to come to us. Selling Toby provides the resources to buy Martial

If Toby stays, who is else is even close to moving on before the window closes to give us the resources to buy who we want?

You didnt say "or anyone else", if that was your intent it changes things a little.

Id like to think we have some money to spend, outside of sales. And I also think we have a lot of players potentially surplus to requirement which can add up to a reasonable sum. Sissoko / NKoudou / Janssen / Llorente / Dembele* could all go and bring in a decent amount all together.

*would be the only one we really need to replace IMO.

If we hold onto him - then

1 - we sell abroad after transfer window closes here for 40m stopping his agent forcing our hand to sell to Utd for the same price. This may mean that we fudge Utd over and Mourinho explodes and walks. However this would leave us short, and mean utd come straight for poch

2 - we sell in jan when there is a reduced risk of needing him depending where we are in the league, and injury situation

3 - we just let him go for 25mil next year and accept the loss as it seems only one PL team seem to want to offer over 40mil

4 - a miracle happens and he signs a new contract

1 - we sell abroad after transfer window closes here for 40m stopping his agent forcing our hand to sell to Utd for the same price. This may mean that we fudge Utd over and Mourinho explodes and walks. However this would leave us short, and mean utd come straight for poch

2 - we sell in jan when there is a reduced risk of needing him depending where we are in the league, and injury situation

3 - we just let him go for 25mil next year and accept the loss as it seems only one PL team seem to want to offer over 40mil

1) United can come for Poch all they want. We will have set a marker, and we can do the same again.

2) Probably the safest option, and the one I would prefer in that eventuality given that we can't spend any money we make after 9th August anyway.

3) Also acceptable.

4) As per @thfcsteff, he's a bad 'un, so I don't know how likely that is. Someone, either Poch or Toby, will have to apologize and make up in that eventuality.

Next year at £25m we will have more people wanting to buy him and (I may be wrong) we can still decide who we are happy to take the £25m from

Next year at £25m we will have more people wanting to buy him and (I may be wrong) we can still decide who we are happy to take the £25m from

No we can't It's a release clause and anyone who meets it can sign him If they agree terms with the player - he'll end up at Arsenal or Chelsea as he's reportedly very settled in London.

But hey we've made stand right

Interesting that Leicester are about to sign two new centre backs for a combined sum of around 40 mill, a big Croat from Zagreb and a Turk playing in Germany.

They already have Maguire, Morgan, Evans and Benalouane as centre backs

There seems to be talk that the Alderweireld transfer to Utd has been agreed and is just waiting for the green light once Spurs have found their replacement

Could it be that we are waiting for the club of our target to bring in a replacement or two?

Maguire to Spurs?

Could make sense. Only 25, English, we have scouted him heavily before when he was at Hull, is on around 40k a week at Leicester so we could more than double that and he would still fit within out wage structure. A load of England teammates at Spurs talking him into joining

Last edited:
As far as theories go that's not out of the question and makes sense if they are in for 2 other CBs - though Morgan and Evans must be winding down by now so could be nothing more than that i guess

Back