• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I'm not against him signing, but just don't see the need. Surely it makes sense to have 2 senior CBs and 2 coming through. Adding in Alderweireld just means we will either not play Fazio all year or completely hinder the development of Dier and Wimmer.

I'm not against him signing, but just don't see the need. Surely it makes sense to have 2 senior CBs and 2 coming through. Adding in Alderweireld just means we will either not play Fazio all year or completely hinder the development of Dier and Wimmer.

Yeah it doesn't quite make sense with 4 senior CBs here already and no talk of any on the verge of an exit.

Yeah it doesn't quite make sense with 4 senior CBs here already and no talk of any on the verge of an exit.

It makes sense when you look at our goals against column last season. I think Vertonghen has coasted here since his first season. I don't think he sees Fazio as a threat to his place. Bringing in Alderweirald, Wimmer and Tripper in one window, not only strengthens our depth in terms of quality of defence, but strengthens our starting XI, allowing us to play two strong senior centre-backs in tough games and put less pressure and expectation on Wimmer and Dier to develop. It also puts pressure on Vertonghen and Walker, in the same way that Rose seemed to improve dramatically when we bought Davies.

Saying that, I'd be surprised if Fazio remained if we signed Alderweirald.

I hope we sign Alderweirald as he is a ball playing centre half as well as coming from one of the best teams defensively in the prem last season.

Fazio
Chiriches and Kaboul will have to leave.

Get in a proper anchor man to play alongside Nabil a winger and a tricky striker (Perez maybe?) and we are laughing.

My ideal transfer window would be (Realistically)

Alderweirald
N'Zonzi
Mirallas
Perez.

Would be funny if we signed him and he ended up replacing Vertonghen in the line-up. I can imagine he might like the idea of playing along side him but with Wimmer, Dier and Fazio no one could clearly say they would be our best partnership.

Would be funny if we signed him and he ended up replacing Vertonghen in the line-up. I can imagine he might like the idea of playing along side him but with Wimmer, Dier and Fazio no one could clearly say they would be our best partnership.

I do not see that happening to be honest, Jan is our best CB (imo) and would expect t see Toby play alongside him.

Signing him and pairing him up with Jan would be a good thing, right? Centre-half is all about the partnership, we don't really have a good one. Fazio is very meh, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go. TA + JV, with Dier and Wimmer as backups. Fazio, Kaboul and Chiriches gone.

That's the thing though, I cannot see Fazio being sent packing after only a year with us.

On the Vertonghen-Alderweireld partnership; they played together at Ajax so have a good knowledge of eachother's game. I was very disappointed when he went to Atletico as I thought we should've been pulling all the stops out to get him.

That's the thing though, I cannot see Fazio being sent packing after only a year with us.

He was fairly cheap though wasn't he? Signed when we didn't get whoever Poch's first choice was, perhaps (I can't really remember)? Seems like the Stambouli signing to me.

If Fazio was one of the first names on the team sheet, then I'd agree with you. But iirc, he was quite often left on the bench when fit, so I'm not sure Poch considers him to be that important.

I don't think any of our defenders are safe from the chop, bar Rose.

I'm one of those fools who believes we should start any season (that we're in Europe) with five CBs to ensure adequate injury cover and rotation. In an injury-free season, one - or even two - of them would end up with fairly little game time. But you need to prepare for injuries.

I felt Veljkovic was sufficient for our fifth CB though, along with Vertonghen, Dier, Fazio and Wimmer. I assumed the (season start) pecking order would be:

Vertonghen
Fazio / Dier (depending on pre-season and training performances)
Wimmer / Veljkovic (injury back-up and early cup competition rotation)

Instead it may be that we think this is an important season for Veljkovic to get regular starts and send him on loan where that will happen. Then we need a fifth CB and instead of bringing in a new "rotation / squad" player, why not bring in a new first-teamer?

So the pecking order would be:
Vertonghen / Alderweireld - initial premier league pairing
Fazio / Dier / Wimmer - cup, roation, injury cover

Then if Veljkovic makes the step up (as many think he might), he can come in next season.

I get how you feel re: 5 CB's but there is no way we could keep them all happy and my worry is that a player like Dier who needs time to develop won't get that and will move on.

I get how you feel re: 5 CB's but there is no way we could keep them all happy and my worry is that a player like Dier who needs time to develop won't get that and will move on.
Maybe Dier or Wimmer would go out on loan for one or two seasons to a PL team. In that time we would have had the best of Fazio and towards the end of that period Dier/Wimmer would have overtaken Fazio in terms of performance/quality (assuming Poch doesn't see them as better options already)...

Maybe Dier or Wimmer would go out on loan for one or two seasons to a PL team. In that time we would have had the best of Fazio and towards the end of that period Dier/Wimmer would have overtaken Fazio in terms of performance/quality (assuming Poch doesn't see them as better options already)...

Based on last season, I am not sure that Fazio is ahead of Dier in the pecking order

If Alderweireld signs, it's more likely that Fazio will be the one leaving, with Dier and Wimmer forming the second CB pairing and then graduating up to first-choice when Alderweireld and Jan leave. 2CV will be the next one on that line, with Veljkovic presumably being shifted into the DM queue for a while before we take a call on adding him to the list of CBs we do have. Ball, however, likely will leave either way.

Bit uncomfortable when compared to a straight line of succession from Fazio-Jan to Veljkovic-2CV (with Dier and Wimmer in the middle), but not unduly difficult to pull off.

Based on last season, I am not sure that Fazio is ahead of Dier in the pecking order
Possibly, I was just going on the scenario that Dier wouldn't be getting much game time - probably due to a Fazio/Verts partnership that served us well in the past.I think Dier will be getting his fare share of game time personally....

Back