• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

This was in the Sunday Times today as well. I think he's quite good but not obvious to me that we need another CB

Apparently the guy is saying he is signing for us:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/21/totte...-hes-told-friends-hes-joining-spurs-5256136/?

But then he also said something similar in 2013!

Soton will be tinkleed off big time if true :D

Wonder where he would play if true??? Seems too short for a central defender...

if this goes thru its another defensive player since Poch arrived.......Vorm, Davies, Dier, Fazio, Stambouli, Yedlin, Wimmer, Trippier, Alderweireld

dont we want to sign an attacking player?:confused: :)

We don't need another CB: I dearly wanted Alderweireld a month or so ago (ticked all the right boxes: experienced in the PL, buds with Jan, entering the prime of his career), but since then we've spent our customary 'cheap punt' money on Wimmer, and I'm inclined to give that lad (and Vejkovic/2CV further down the line) time.Plus, I wouldn't like to see Fazio leave: I like the guy and feel that his obvious strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

We don't need another CB: I dearly wanted Alderweireld a month or so ago (ticked all the right boxes: experienced in the PL, buds with Jan, entering the prime of his career), but since then we've spent our customary 'cheap punt' money on Wimmer, and I'm inclined to give that lad (and Vejkovic/2CV further down the line) time.Plus, I wouldn't like to see Fazio leave: I like the guy and feel that his obvious strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

Poch might feel the opposite. He seemed to have more faith in Dier in the second half of last season.

If we are looking to sell Walker, as was mentioned in todays press, the Alderweireld can also cover as an emergency right back.

Didn't expect this. He seems to be a pretty decent player, but with Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Wimmer and Veljkovic, I would have thought we had enough players in that position (with the latter two initially being used as cover / rotation). But our defensive frailties were obvious last season, so I'm not sure I'd complain about getting another quality CB into the club, but it does lessen the chance that Veljkovic will get game time and I think he's a pretty good prospect (though I guess a loan to Norwich / Watford wouldn't be a terrible idea if he was guaranteed regular Premier League playing time)

To throw some conspiracy theories out there. This could be us putting pressure on Southampton to accept our bid for Schneiderlin, in which case we leave Alderweireld alone, or it's from his agent in an attempt to get bigger clubs interested, ie. Chelsea.

Just a wild punt. But wasnt he playing in midfield for Soton? maybe Poch wants him to play there instead of signing Schneiderlin???? ITs a wild punt as I cant even be sure he was playing in midfield as I did not catch many Soton games.

Just a wild punt. But wasnt he playing in midfield for Soton? maybe Poch wants him to play there instead of signing Schneiderlin???? ITs a wild punt as I cant even be sure he was playing in midfield as I did not catch many Soton games.
No he played at centre back.

I remember him playing midfield a coupple of times when wanyama was out, with yoshida playing cb with fonte. But he mostly played cb.

Including against us I think, which is why people will think that

I prefer Fazio to Alderweireld myself. There's not much between them - similar pace and quality, but Fazio's more dominant in the air

There was something in the press at teh weekend saying that one of Alderweireld's priorities about moving is getting comfort from the new manager that he'll be used as a CB and only a CB ie didnt like being shifted around all the time.

Would be odd if we sold Fazio given that it would seem that he was a Poch signing

He has played in CM and also as a FB, but his main position is at CB and he is very good at it ( imo).

Back