• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

For all his faults (i.e. just finishing) Werner is a bargain at 15m

I'd happily sell Solomon for 5-10m and bring Werner in with a view to signing a proper left-footed left winger as well (or at least an exceptional dribber like nico Williams, Summerville, etc.)

We're also clearing 180kpw of perisic from the wage bill this summer which will help with Werner's wages
I really like Summerville, I assumed he was English but is Dutch.

Very good dribbler who would keep defenders occupied. Will be interested to see how he fares in the PL, there are so many Championship players with the potential to make the step up....

All Spurs players are better than everyone else's. The league standings and cup competitions year in year out are just mere anomalies. City, Liverpool and Arsenal (and especially Villa of late) are actually really average and we are way better, but it's just about luck really.

In seriousness Richy vs Jesus is an interesting one, they are very different players. Of course I'd back my boy Richy but at the end of the day Jesus has been part of some very effective teams. I don't think defenders love playing against either even if both don't absolutely crush it in terms of goals / assists on the regular.

Great impact from Werner though as Ange has mentioned. We are super light in forward areas without him and when him + Johnson are on it, it's a lot to deal with for the opposition.

Players fit systems

- Richi is a better striker than Jesus, that isn't a debate unless you are a Scum nutter. Jesus is more of that false 9 thing, huge work rate, floats more than Richi, team player, is an absolute pain that isn't elite because his finishing is fudging horrendous.
- Lots of players in Pool, City, Arsenal I don't think would work in Spurs, doesn't mean we are better as a side, all three of those sides are extremely well drilled over a minimum of 4 seasons to a single system where a group of good players that suit the system, supplemented by a few world class players make it work.
- Spurs have neither the amount of established WC players (compared to Pool or City) or time with manager/system and enough windows to buy system fit players to really compete

Werner is a great example, he fits our system, his speed/work rate/ability to both get wide, get cross in and be at back post for when opposite winger puts cross in is elite, his finishing isn't but he fits our system and I'd be stunned if we didn't pick him up for £15M

If you want a true view of a player, the question would be
- Does their club think they need to be upgraded? for Arsenal, Jesus/Martinelli/anyone playing a "striker" role for them is a priority upgrade and has been for a couple of windows (hence all rumours re Toney/etc.)

I really like Summerville, I assumed he was English but is Dutch.

Very good dribbler who would keep defenders occupied. Will be interested to see how he fares in the PL, there are so many Championship players with the potential to make the step up....
You mean like the lad at West Ham that we never went for but they did

Players fit systems

- Richi is a better striker than Jesus, that isn't a debate unless you are a Scum nutter. Jesus is more of that false 9 thing, huge work rate, floats more than Richi, team player, is an absolute pain that isn't elite because his finishing is fudging horrendous.
- Lots of players in Pool, City, Arsenal I don't think would work in Spurs, doesn't mean we are better as a side, all three of those sides are extremely well drilled over a minimum of 4 seasons to a single system where a group of good players that suit the system, supplemented by a few world class players make it work.
- Spurs have neither the amount of established WC players (compared to Pool or City) or time with manager/system and enough windows to buy system fit players to really compete

Werner is a great example, he fits our system, his speed/work rate/ability to both get wide, get cross in and be at back post for when opposite winger puts cross in is elite, his finishing isn't but he fits our system and I'd be stunned if we didn't pick him up for £15M

If you want a true view of a player, the question would be
- Does their club think they need to be upgraded? for Arsenal, Jesus/Martinelli/anyone playing a "striker" role for them is a priority upgrade and has been for a couple of windows (hence all rumours re Toney/etc.)
In terms of upgrade I already think Werner needs to be upgraded hence my reticence in wanting to buy him. Again if he's the backup option for LWF then ok, but if the primary then please no. He's simply not of the standard we require.

He hasn't done. He's often picked but there have been games they went with Nketiah earlier in the season and games recently when he was back and for when they went with Havertz.
When he was fit or when he was coming back from injury?

It's not the right argument saying would player x get as many goals as other players in the top 3, Werner wouldn't get in the top 3 clubs etc it's about whether he works in our system.

Luis Diaz, 28 PL appearances 7 goals and 3 assists . No one would have complained had we dropped around three times the price Werner will cost, yet is he performing on another level? No, Werner's stats would be much better for assists with the same amount of games and a similar amount of goals if you want to be really harsh then say he would get 1 or 2 less. But Diaz still works in Liverpools system and Werner does in ours.

He's constantly creative and is playing as a wide left winger not a striker so whilst it would be lovely if he could be this all singing all dancing Salah clone he still offers plenty for us and is a snip at 17m. His finishing can be criticised but it's not as bad or as big an issue as some like to get hung up on and in our system creating chances is as big a thing as scoring because the system ensures all players are chipping in with goals....

Last edited:
When he was fit or when he was coming back from injury?
When he was fit. I remember there was a big furore in the Arsenal lot because it was a game they drew or lost and they were screaming about why the hell was Nkethia starting instead of Jesus.

It's not the same right argument saying would player x get as many goals as other players in the top 3, Werner wouldn't get in the top 3 clubs etc it's about whether he works in our system.

Luis Diaz, 28 PL appearances 7 goals and 3 assists . No one would have complained had we dropped around three times the price Werner will cost, yet is he performing on another level? No, Werner's stats would be much better for assists with the same amount of games and a similar amount of goals if you want to be really harsh then say he would get 1 or 2 less. But Diaz still works in Liverpools system and Werner does in ours.

He's constantly creative and is playing as a wide left winger not a striker so whilst it would be lovely if he could be in his all singing all dancing Salah clone he still offers plenty for us and is a snip at 17m. His finishing can be criticised but it's not as bad or as big an issue as some like to get hung up on and in our system creating chances is as big a thing as scoring because the system ensures all players are chipping in with goals....
Cool, just don't complain when we aren't winning or challenging for the league in part because our forwards aren't up to snuff.

No one has said he’s not good enough to be backup. Quite the opposite, almost everyone has said he’d be a good backup, just that we need better as a starter. Not an outrageous opinion.

I think this is the point

- Ideally we would buy an upgrade (if available), Werner would provide a decent option while that person adapts to us and/or backup.

Personally I don't see it as a priority unless our plan is to leave Son in center. Biggest issue to @Bedfordspurs comment is we need more cover in midfield to cut the GA out.

Back