• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

I’ve not seen much of that criticism, but think it’s a fair comment if so.

Generally, our attitude to defending sucks. If we lose the ball I expect all bar the CF to be sprinting back to defend.
I don’t think that is the way that Ange wants the team to play. He seems to be prepared to leave some players forward so that we can take advantage of a quick transition if we turn the ball over.

I don’t think that is the way that Ange wants the team to play. He seems to be prepared to leave some players forward so that we can take advantage of a quick transition if we turn the ball over.
100%
That’s why he stays where he does
I don’t think I’d ever see a German footballer not put a shift in and not do what the manager asks

Have no issue with that, just think for a club with not an unlimited budget 17m is a snip for a guy who clearly fits in with Ange style of play regardless of his finishing. I just look at who actually creates for us, and for me since he's been here looks like one of, if not the most creative....
It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to win or challenge for the league title we need better than Werner. If you're happy just going for a top 4 finish then he's fine, he might be enough for that. I'd rather try and aim higher.

If and it's a big if, we go for someone better than him and then decide to also bring him in as a depth option I'm fine with that, but I'd rather not make honour primary LWF attacking signing summer please.

It depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to win or challenge for the league title we need better than Werner. If you're happy just going for a top 4 finish then he's fine, he might be enough for that. I'd rather try and aim higher.

If and it's a big if, we go for someone better than him and then decide to also bring him in as a depth option I'm fine with that, but I'd rather not make honour primary LWF attacking signing summer please.
Didn’t Chelsea win the CL with him in their squad?

His goal and assist numbers per 90 minutes for us are probably a right up there aren’t they?

His goal and assist numbers per 90 minutes for us are probably a right up there aren’t they?
His numbers are fine
His performances are too
The issue is he being judged against the two best finishers on the planet
His finishing should be better for a player at his level. But his other parts of his game are very good
We should always want better but I’m way more worried about the lack of clean sheets than the goal count

Chelsea were a winning machine under Abramovich regardless of who the coach was or the personnel they had. Werner was of course a part of that but I’m not sure how much of that you can attribute to him. They also sold him, granted they’ve made mistakes in the past selling players like Salah and KDB but I don’t feel they’ve been particularly stung by the sale of Werner. He’s not a bad player and I don’t think anyone is arguing he is, but he’s not elite and that’s the level we need to aim for to catch the top 3 next season.

His numbers are fine
His performances are too
The issue is he being judged against the two best finishers on the planet
His finishing should be better for a player at his level. But his other parts of his game are very good
We should always want better but I’m way more worried about the lack of clean sheets than the goal count

He’s also being judged against the forwards of the teams in the top 3. Would he get into any of their teams over the players they have? If we’re being truly honest, I don’t think you’d say he would. Maybe could add value as a squad player but what some of us are saying is he’s not going to take us to the next level.

Last edited:
There is one elite player in the PL, and we have him already.

If we can get Vinicius Jnr I’m all for it, but if we can’t pull that off I’m happy to keep Werner.

Reminds me of Perisic, in that he seems to make the right decision nearly all the time, which is a underrated commodity.

Such a shame Perisic got injured as we lack players who just do the right thing 9 times out of 10. It's 'simple' but devastatingly effective as they have both demonstrated.

I said I want to win the league not the CL. The CL is a cup competition so there are many variables to a win. You don't even need to be the best in it to win it. We even got to the final in the year when we were at our brickst.

The league shows your real level, it shows consistency over an elongated period. That's what I want to achieve, a CL can come later. I want to be the best. Winning the league is the only way to prove it.

I said I want to win the league not the CL. The CL is a cup competition so there are many variables to a win. You don't even need to be the best in it to win it. We even got to the final in the year when we were at our brickst.

The league shows your real level, it shows consistency over an elongated period. That's what I want to achieve, a CL can come later. I want to be the best. Winning the league is the only way to prove it.

I'd prefer to win the cl personally. Something the other lot have never done. Nor have we.

It's the most prestigious trophy in club football.

I understand your opinion though.

He’s also being judged against the forwards of the teams in the top 3. Would he get into any of their teams over the players they have? If we’re being truly honest, I don’t think you’d say he would. Maybe could add value as a squad player but what some of us are saying is he’s not going to take us to the next level.
His finishing is as good as Gabriel Jesus

Which isn’t a very high bar. Do you think Werner gets in the starting eleven for any of the top 3? For me Son definitely would either in LWF or CF but none of our other forwards would IMO.
Well Werner is as good as Jesus and he starts for arsenal…
I mean we can round these arguments all day long but imo
Pool have Salah, then Jota, then a void of quality finishers
City have Haaland and then I’m not sure because of the way they play
Arsenal have saka who is quality but the rest aren’t as good
I’m sure your gonna tell me that Martinelli is quality or haivertz but imo they are not better than what we have

What arsenal have is the best defence in the league to build from
City, the best possession game although that is deteriorating
Pool, have Salah

If a spurs player had missed the sitter that Haaland did last game or the one he swung at yesterday and missed the ball…our fans would murder them

And Werner is a squad player, like Trossard for arsenal. They have a huge importance

Reminds me of Perisic, in that he seems to make the right decision nearly all the time, which is a underrated commodity.

Such a shame Perisic got injured as we lack players who just do the right thing 9 times out of 10. It's 'simple' but devastatingly effective as they have both demonstrated.
Awareness? It kills a move when you have to look up once you have the ball.

Which isn’t a very high bar. Do you think Werner gets in the starting eleven for any of the top 3? For me Son definitely would either in LWF or CF but none of our other forwards would IMO.

He is every bit as good as Trossard at the very least the difference is marginal and our fans went nuts that we didn't get him for depth, I see them very similar in that respect. As I have said before, I take Werner as depth for very much the same reasons.

I think there is a sense of cynicism on him because people think rightly or wrongly (we don't know yet) that this would be a cheap option for the summer meaning we would then not go out to get added quality, where as I think its a no brainer for depth on the basis we likely get someone else of quality in that role OR CF which then sees Son and him fight it out on the LW, which for me is fine.

Back