• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

talking about informed decisions - where does this idea about tim not having a system of his own come from? what kind of source do you have to support that conception? pure speculation and not in the least bit informed, but I guess that's inconvenient when you clearly have an agenda.

just because he hasn't had a book written about his football philosophy doesn't mean he's a clueless incompetent coach. just as a book and a philosophy doesn't make you a good manager.

it was stoke with lots of players missing, and having accumulated only 5 points on their travels so far.
new years day will show us what Ts and the lads are made up of.
man u will be hungry for points

Stoke had 2 players suspended and 2 injured whilst we had 1 player suspended and 6 injured.

talking about informed decisions - where does this idea about tim not having a system of his own come from? what kind of source do you have to support that conception? pure speculation and not in the least bit informed, but I guess that's inconvenient when you clearly have an agenda.

just because he hasn't had a book written about his football philosophy doesn't mean he's a clueless incompetent coach. just as a book and a philosophy doesn't make you a good manager.

NBD himself has spoken a couple of times about how football's "a simple game" which hasn't been true for a long time. There are other hints, like saying that he doesn't want training to seem like work, he wants it to be fun for the lads and how he would like to be like Redknapp, etc.

Must just be a fluke that we've created more clear cut chances in two games(Southampton and Stoke) than we'd had in the previous 16 games under AVB. I thought it had become a rule that we weren't allowed in the opposition's area.

NBD himself has spoken a couple of times about how football's "a simple game" which hasn't been true for a long time. There are other hints, like saying that he doesn't want training to seem like work, he wants it to be fun for the lads and how he would like to be like Redknapp, etc.

Do you think you're clever deliberately going out of your way not to call Sherwood by his name in every post?

Do you think you're clever deliberately going out of your way not to call Sherwood by his name in every post?

If course not, why would anyone think it clever? And it's not going out of my way, it's fewer key presses.

cant be sure about the first bit

i definately believe you on the second part of the quote above

i dont believe you on the last bit. Can you name or point to ONE significant good thing you have said about the team or "NBD" since he has taken over? obviously you dont have to but right now your negatives from my perspective outweighs your positives by 100-1

When discussing our recent matches I've described both the second half yesterday and a 20 minute spell against Southampton as very good.

you're right. we wont know....AVB could have a been a decent blagger...or he could have been the real deal. I think once he gets the hang of being a manager of men he may realise his potential. For me though he did nothing to suggest that he was special aside from talk well.

That's one more thing than the current incumbent at least.

Good start for Sherwood but, like many, not getting carried away. The quality of opposition has been poor but I've been impressed with the way he seems to want the team to play.

That said, I've been here before as a Spurs fan. Ossie started his reign very well, so did Francis, Gross won 2-0 up at Everton, Santini started well too. Jury is very much out but I'm hoping Sherwood can deliver for us.

Yeah I think he does have a clear system in mind - it's high tempo, with a pretty high line and winning the ball back quickly to ensure attacks come in waves rather than in separate moments of the game. The players need to be fit to carry it out and they need to be able to pull off the one touch passing required around the box so that we aren't relying on slinging the ball into the box and hoping it bounces for us. He does have a system but I'm also pretty sure he's pulling off the Harry trick of making himself more 'everyman' in how he talks about the game so it gets the fans onside.

With regards to yesterday, obviously it's pleasing to win so convincingly but taking on a gung-ho system means I would expect us to win our home games against easy opposition anyway - I never doubted we would under TS, and the West Brom draw therefore was really disappointing. But the good thing about it is he's identified the clear weakness in our team in every match, the clear point of improvement required to carry out what he wants, and then in the next game we've gone and done it. So that's good. If we can put a consistent run together for the second half of the season, then it will be impressive. I fully expect us to win our home games convincingly and if we can win our away games too then all will be well. If all we have done is employed someone that allows us to win games we would have won anyway by a bigger margin while having our away form suffer, it won't be good. I'm not saying that's what will happen, but that's what we should be waiting to see.

Man United is a big test. I don't expect a win. I don't even expect a draw. I do expect us to perform well though.

cant be sure about the first bit

i definately believe you on the second part of the quote above

i dont believe you on the last bit. Can you name or point to ONE significant good thing you have said about the team or "NBD" since he has taken over? obviously you dont have to but right now your negatives from my perspective outweighs your positives by 100-1

you're right. we wont know....AVB could have a been a decent blagger...or he could have been the real deal. I think once he gets the hang of being a manager of men he may realise his potential. For me though he did nothing to suggest that he was special aside from talk well.

felt exactly the same about AVB funny enough. what a coincidence

I don't think AVB needs to get the hang of being a manager of men. I think he has that down fine. At Porto the players loved him, and here the players backed him right until the end. The Ade, Benny examples and similar situations at Chelsea are examples of him wanting a squad full of players comitted to the team, rather than as an individual. He wants a certain personality type running through the squad and doesn't want deviation from that. I think someone like Van Gaal would be the same. It's not a question of his capability to manage men, it's whether or not he wants certain types of men in his squad.

I think what AVB needs is a club that trusts him in the same way that Liverpool trust Rodgers and Everton trust Martinez. He may like a DOF to do the negotiating for him but he needs to get the players that will make his very clear ideas work in practice so he doesn't have to deviate too much. He probably won't find that in England.

Anyway he's gone, hopefully we can all back Sherwood or at least discuss Sherwood without using the 'if only AVB did this' or 'this shows what a plonker AVB was' or some other such thing. They had different ideas which would require different decisions to be made, and both can work if backed. Not aimed at you but in general.

Interesting I was reading Harry's book last night, page 178 he is talking about how when managers leave clubs there is always talk about what the next guy has said about you after you've gone. At Bournemouth he would hear from people 'Tony Pulis said this, Tony Pulis said that' and it was 'supposedly the same at Tottenham with Tim Sherwood, who everyone said had the ear of Chairman Daniel Levy'.

Now I don't know if he is saying Sherwood was talking him down after he left, or what, but it's another back up to the story that he has the ear of Levy.

Ultimately my judgement will be left to trophies and end of season results.

Its easy to spin a situation, we beat Southampton away but did not beat West Brom at home which could be argued as a bad result all things considered. But as I say I will leave my judgement to overall success.

I do see abit of Harry Redknapp in his ethos though, get the ball out wide quickly, high tempo and sliding balls into the box...I remember tons of the "fast out the traps" games under Harry and Tim has the same feel

However poor Stoke were kudos to Sherwood for changing things up yesterday formation and personnel-wise.

With the way Pauli was playing TS could have easily left him out and gone with eriksen dembele central but he stuck Pauli in there and got a great performance.

I also like eriksen in the left mid role that modric started with us, drifting in from the left with an overlaping full back-a throw back to harrys style before bale became a left wing star.

think this should be the formation for the rest of the season- even when townsend is back, he and chadli can fight for azza's place on the RW, holtby and siggy can fight for eriksens place on the LW, dembele capoue sandro and pauli can fight for the CM places. Lamela for me should be swapping in up front for soldadi.

Now if we buy an out and out left winger like say salah of basel fame, id be tempted to move on siggy as the spare part in the team. That said i dont think levy will let Sherwood make any moves in the winter window, targetting the summer one for an overhaul.

the big difference since avbs departure had been ade starting consistently upfront slongside soldado. However good avb is or was this one blind spot of his to refuse to play ade when his other strikers were misfiring surely added to his undoing. And its worked in our favour as ade now has something to prove. I would still like to see someone bought in ad competition, be that the rumoured Gomis or shane long, but that one change alone has made us a better team.

Back