• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Temporary Tim

Tim's got a good result today, and I liked what we did in their half, at least in the last 45 minutes. But I have to admit I was scared to death everytime they got in decent poistions - and that wasnt just in the first half. Bentaleb did ever so well, but we would been destroyed by a top team today. We lost possesion way to much, were all over the place for at least four-five times - and got lucky with the own goal (that was something wasn't it? :) ) If the plan is to "go out an express yourselves", I can surely say we wont get CL next season, not even EL. Hopes for the best, but for me Tim is just a gap stop.

Started writing this in the Lamela thread, but not really sure where it should go:

Should Lamela be given a run because he cost so much when players like Lennon and Chadli have arguably done better? There's obviously not room for all of them, so how do you decide who to use more sparingly?

If Paulinho and Capoue really were AVB's choices and Eriksen and Lamela was Baldini, will Sherwood seek to marginalise the former two?

If there is one thing I hate about managers it's when the selection of players isn't based on ability, but to prove points or just pure favoritism.

Lamela should play because he has the most talent, that talent won't be realised whilst sitting on the bench.

Lamela should play because he has the most talent, that talent won't be realised whilst sitting on the bench.

I don't see why he should be starting when it's not being realised on the pitch either. Give him some sub appearances and let him prove he's ready first.

I don't see why he should be starting when it's not being realised on the pitch either. Give him some sub appearances and let him prove he's ready first.

There's only so much a player can do from the bench. Give him a run of games and see how he does. Lennon is too injury prone and doesn't get enough goals. Would hate to lose him, but he shouldn't be automatic first choice anymore.

you could argue that tims man management & trust in ade brought out a belter of a peformance today......why not the same for Lamela?????

My opinion and from what I have seen is the guy is a massive talent and has massive potential.......the situation with handling him is critical to us.......I say play him and tell him we believe in his abilities....

Started writing this in the Lamela thread, but not really sure where it should go:

Should Lamela be given a run because he cost so much when players like Lennon and Chadli have arguably done better? There's obviously not room for all of them, so how do you decide who to use more sparingly?

If Paulinho and Capoue really were AVB's choices and Eriksen and Lamela was Baldini, will Sherwood seek to marginalise the former two?

If there is one thing I hate about managers it's when the selection of players isn't based on ability, but to prove points or just pure favoritism.

Eriksen is better than Holtby and should be getting the majority of the starts, form permitting. All in my opinion of course.

I know what you mean, but I think Sherwood talks slightly faster than his brain thinks; I suspect he will answer questions very quickly, very honestly, thinking of the next joke, keeping it light hearted but could easily let something out that he shouldn't.

I could imagine him saying I played [X] because [Y] isn't as good defensively, or team [Z] don't have much to play for, or just some small quip which is out in 2 seconds and can't be taken back again.

For now the press love him and will keep it light, but if they decide to get the knives out I could imagine his quick quippery backfiring with some bad headlines.

Nobody can answer so freely, honestly, with jokes, without sitting on the fence, without saying the wrong thing at some point, which will be pounced on.

Sometimes it's best to keep it a bit more circumspect.

Like when he was saying he doesn't want the job for 5 minutes, I was cringing and thinking what a massive, massive moment in his life that was, but he was onto the next joke within 2 seconds.

Sorry to quote myself, but I was just reading TT's comments on the bbc:

'Hopefully I will speak to the chairman tonight. I don't want it (the job) on a temporary basis. I want it for the long term. It's got huge tradition but at the end of the day its got to be right for me.'
'I never said I wanted the job and I never said I don't want the job,' Sherwood told Sky Sports 1.
'I've got to talk to the chairman and see where they want to take this football club.'
Asked when that will be, Sherwood said: 'Sooner rather than later as these players need a manager
'Ideal for me is to have a chat with the chairman and see what's best for the football club moving forward.
'I need to know what they're thinking moving forwards. I don't want this job for five minutes. That's no interest to me.
'It is either are we going to move it forward or not? That's where we are. There are some great candidates out there for this job. It's a massive club with history and tradition.
'It is fantastic, a great honour to represent them, but it needs to be right for me and, first and foremost, right for the football club.
'I need to talk to the chairman and see what he's got planned. I'll see him tomorrow because I'm in at the training ground. I'm sure it won't be before that.'
'Whoever takes this job is in a good position,' Sherwood said. 'Andre has left the club in a good state, to be honest. There's nothing wrong with the job he's done.

So he says hopefully he will speak to the chairman tonight, then seconds later he says I'll see him tomorrow and I'm sure it won't be before that.

This isn't a big deal whatsoever, but just makes me think he speaks faster than a brain can think.

Also his final line saying "there is nothing wrong with the job he [Andre] has done" isn't a big deal, but the papers could easily whip up a headline saying Sherwood thinks Levy sacked AVB for no reason.

It is dangerous to talk so freely and candidly to the British Football Press.

As I posted in the ratings thread:

Sherwood has achieved two important things that AVB has not this season - scoring 3 goals in a league game and beating a team in the top half of the table. Southampton have been excellent at home since Pochettino took over just under a year ago, to put things into perspective Arsene Wenger, Brendan Rodgers, Manuel Pellegrini, Rafa Benitez, Roberto Mancini and David Moyes have all tried and all failed to beat him at St Mary's, but Sherwood succeeded today.

This kind of gung-ho all out attack tactics is not sustainable in the long run. If it was, there would be no such thing as defensive players, and we have of course conceded two goals in both games we've played under Sherwood, that number could have been more if the opposition had been a bit more clinical (yes I know the opposition misses chances in every game). But today it worked, Southampton were expecting us to play with two up front but not to have such an attacking midfield, they didn't have a clue how to deal with us. We need to find the balance though. Personally, I think we should do what I've been saying all season, which is start ONE out of Sandro, Paulinho and Capoue. Not two (especially not if Dembele is the third CM).

Tim's got a good result today, and I liked what we did in their half, at least in the last 45 minutes. But I have to admit I was scared to death everytime they got in decent poistions - and that wasnt just in the first half. Bentaleb did ever so well, but we would been destroyed by a top team today. We lost possesion way to much, were all over the place for at least four-five times - and got lucky with the own goal (that was something wasn't it? :) ) If the plan is to "go out an express yourselves", I can surely say we wont get CL next season, not even EL. Hopes for the best, but for me Tim is just a gap stop.

Thats the hangover from the previous regime though. People say we were solid defensively but we actually werent. We were defensively frail. Right now Timmy is working on one aspect at a time. He cant work on every position of the team in less than a week. I very much doubt he will just confine defence to the back of his mind, he will be thinking about it.

it looks like time just asked them to play classic 4-4-2; i don't think there was much in the tactics. or is it just me?

No English coach has won anything of note since Howard Wilkinson in the late 80s/early 90s.

I'd love an English coach, but like English players, they aren't schooled well enough and they don't go out and learn from other cultures (Roy Hodson and Bobby Robson excepted).

Hmm... the FA Cup isn't a major trophy anymore?

it looks like time just asked them to play classic 4-4-2; i don't think there was much in the tactics. or is it just me?

Depends how you define classic, this was the average position of the players:

lWunLZX.jpg

actually that graphic shows the one problem with how we played yesterday. The space in front of the two centrebacks and between them that LLalana kept taking advantage of without a defensive minded midfielder playing in that space.

I did suggest it looked like a 4-1-3-2 yesterday. Would obviously look better with a proper DM. Do one of those double pivot thingies and it's a 4-2-2-2.

I have to admit that after yesterday Tim definitely became one of my candidates. The West Ham game has to have a line drawn under it, F all time to prepare for it, injuries and suspensions. He showed great balls to go a place where, as SUIYHA noted, not one of the big boys has won at while Mauricio Pochettino has been in charge and play 4-4-2.

There are the obvious negatives such as the fact he has no previous experience whatsoever but he ha nothing to lose he also knows the club from top to bottom and I think he would be very good at integrating the youth players ino the first team squad, something I think we should start to look into as there is a possibility that we won't need to a player again for a while because there does seem to be an abundance of talent coming through.

Sorry to quote myself, but I was just reading TT's comments on the bbc:

'Hopefully I will speak to the chairman tonight. I don't want it (the job) on a temporary basis. I want it for the long term. It's got huge tradition but at the end of the day its got to be right for me.'
'I never said I wanted the job and I never said I don't want the job,' Sherwood told Sky Sports 1.
'I've got to talk to the chairman and see where they want to take this football club.'
Asked when that will be, Sherwood said: 'Sooner rather than later as these players need a manager
'Ideal for me is to have a chat with the chairman and see what's best for the football club moving forward.
'I need to know what they're thinking moving forwards. I don't want this job for five minutes. That's no interest to me.
'It is either are we going to move it forward or not? That's where we are. There are some great candidates out there for this job. It's a massive club with history and tradition.
'It is fantastic, a great honour to represent them, but it needs to be right for me and, first and foremost, right for the football club.
'I need to talk to the chairman and see what he's got planned. I'll see him tomorrow because I'm in at the training ground. I'm sure it won't be before that.'
'Whoever takes this job is in a good position,' Sherwood said. 'Andre has left the club in a good state, to be honest. There's nothing wrong with the job he's done.

So he says hopefully he will speak to the chairman tonight, then seconds later he says I'll see him tomorrow and I'm sure it won't be before that.

This isn't a big deal whatsoever, but just makes me think he speaks faster than a brain can think.

Also his final line saying "there is nothing wrong with the job he [Andre] has done" isn't a big deal, but the papers could easily whip up a headline saying Sherwood thinks Levy sacked AVB for no reason.

It is dangerous to talk so freely and candidly to the British Football Press.

Yep the way he talks to the press it's like Redknapp mark 2.
Also,I think he comes across as a big shot after one result, albeit a lucky one, as we can all agree Southampton were slack.

Ok, he has a premier league winners medal but most foreign stars would never have heard of him so it's case of Tim who?

Yep the way he talks to the press it's like Redknapp mark 2.
Also,I think he comes across as a big shot after one result, albeit a lucky one, as we can all agree Southampton were slack.

Ok, he has a premier league winners medal but most foreign stars would never have heard of him so it's case of Tim who?

I don't think it's luck, it's just regression to mean.

We are better than SCIB, we have been for as long as I can remember. Our away form is good (in general) and we should expect a minimum of a point away at mid-table teams.

We've had a couple of underperforming matches and they were over performing at the start of the season.

Back