• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

have had horrible dreams that Wenger leaves to be replaced with LVG....oh how that would go down a treat on here.

one could argue AVB was too rigid and Timbo tinkers too much...we require a happy medium.

Pochettino will be at Arsenal within 15 months IMO. He's much more the type of manager they need (consistency from Wenger), whereas LVG is much more what we need (experience, winning mentality, uncompromising).

Interesting, I first heard about it from this Tweet

[TWEET]453156508092862465[/TWEET]

He's being saying for a few weeks that it is not working. I (naively) thought that this gave the story a little credence.

I cannot see Levy taking kindly to it if the story can be traced back to Sherwood and if a bunch of chancers on a message board can do it then the Spurs press office should be able to get a lot more info.

Quite.
Trust me, they will already be well aware. As we've seen in the past, we're careful not to get dragged through the gutter in these sorts of things. This is now all about seeing what can be done in the final 5 games of the season and getting to summer. My biggest hope is that the players we want to keep are up to speed, and that the likes of Paulinho (in whom I believe lies a great player under the right manager) might be persuaded to stick around and work with the next incoming...

P475_zps88dda466.png

Tottenham Hotspur Manager's Records & Statistics 1898-2014

There is so much context lacking I don't even know where to start...

The context is very simple.

What percentage of the available Premier League points were won by these four Spurs managers (all the other managers we've had were less than 50%).

In fact, as Sherwood never had the luxury of having a pre-season to organise his squad, his achievement is even more noteworthy.

What percentage of the available Premier League points were won by these four Spurs managers (all the other managers we've had were less than 50%).

In fact, as Sherwood never had the luxury of having a pre-season to organise his squad, his achievement is even more noteworthy.

But it really isn't…what you've done here is explained the premise of the graphic you posted. I understood that. What that graphic clearly does not do, is bring into account other mitigating factors around a manager's performance which might count against them. With regards to your pre-season comment, Sherwood actually had the tremendous luxury of being able to observe the pre-season and everything else about the squad from inside at close-range and with every bit of information necessary available to him. He has done some notable stuff, for example bringing Ade back in from the cold and blooding Bentaleb, but he has also been at the helm for some miserable, confusing and depressing moments.

tickle my balls with a feather. Sherwood has a decent PPG this season and so, actually, has AVB. In fact, the team are 6th on 59 points with a run of relatively easy games to finish the season. Hardly the disaster on paper that this season seems to many.

But its when you watch the team play that the real pain lies this season. We have so much individual talent, but as a collective, its practically non-existent. It's like we have been relying on individuals to do something for ages. Both AVB and Sherwood have proven absolutely incapable of constructing a TEAM. Even in AVB's first season the football was terrible, but we relied on Bale turning into a force of nature. There was no team, it was Bale and 10 strangers.

We've just beaten Sunderland 5-1 but a lot of that was down to Eriksen producing moments of individual quality. At various times under Sherwood we've mainly relied on Eriksen's set-up play and Adebayor's finishing to win us games. There is little or no structure to our play and against the good teams, our lack of tactical training and set up has been exposed time and again.

Just as under AVB we relied totally on Bale's genius to win us games. We had no tactic other than "Give it to Gareth" and when it didn't work we didn't win. It's the same for every team, Hell I remember back in the early 80's there were times that if Hoddle was ****e the whole team was.

For me the difference was that I understood what AVB was doing - the journey we were taking and what the end point would be. There was logic to it, even if he was over cautious (i.e. not implementing 4-3-3 and building strictly from the back rather than working more on the final third in tandem). In contrast Sherwood is clearly winging it and doesn't have any clear vision of how to progress.

We did also win a lot of our big matches under AVB. The two that got him the sack obviously stand out, but aside from that he did genuinely go toe-to-toe with our rivals during his reign.

Definitely LVG without a DoF.

But I don't think it will happen. LVG doesn't like transfers, he finds them disruptive to the organic growth that he focuses on. He's never worked without a DoF, including his most recent club roles at AZ and Bayern.
but in the 18 months under AVB we had problems against the lesser teams, struggling to score, struggling to break them down.....its not essential to be have a great record against big teams in order to be successful. IIrc Man Utd won the league one season with a very poor record against their top 4 rivals. Arsanal qualified for the CL despite gaining the lowest points from their top4 competitors. What matters is the final total. Where those points come from is irrelevant. There are 90 points available from the clubs in 6th place to 20th

oh and LVG does like transfers....he signed quite a few big names in his first spell at Barca and spent nearly 70 mill in his first season at Bayern

Such limited context to be almost meaningless.

We aren't constant in our squad quality so it isn't a fair comparison. Jol's squad was light years behind the current lot so perhaps Jol did better to get those points? Dead Wood Walking and AvB have the most expensive squad we've ever had, haven't they, so should be getting more points than the bunch of journeymen that Jol inherited from a decade of shambles?

And the other teams aren't constant. The top 4 or 5 have improved but there has never been such a divide in the EPL as this season with 10 teams cut adrift in such a manner, 6 poor team and 4 very, very poor teams plus the southamptons and newscastle mid table drifters, so we should be getting more points per game anyway no matter tha manager.

Deadwood also hasn't played everyone home and away so that would make some of the comparison questionable as well. Maybe he has had an easier configuration of fixtures.

Players get one, not the managers.

And to the answer the other point that AVB also couldn't compete with the big teams, it's like people are ignoring last season, where we beat United, City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and drew with Chelsea. Those wins were not just because we 'gave the ball to Bale' but because we were well drilled, motivated and executed a plan.

What's the difference this season? A massive core of the squad has been sold and replaced with foreigners. It's not like AVB will have forgotten how to prepare against the big teams, he simply had different players that needed moulding. I would even say the squad this year is better than last year, and will probably show it next season, but it will take time for them to get used to this league, the club and their team-mates.

oh and LVG does like transfers....he signed quite a few big names in his first spell at Barca and spent nearly 70 mill in his first season at Bayern

More like their many presidents and directors brought in the usual marquee signings.

Back