• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Scaramanga, you said Spurs should be walking "all these types of games" we have coming up, even if we have a brain dead chimp in charge... yet Wenger's Ars.anal just drew with Swansea. How does that happen?

Scaramanga, you said Spurs should be walking "all these types of games" we have coming up, even if we have a brain dead chimp in charge... yet Wenger's Ars.anal just drew with Swansea. How does that happen?

That's twofold.

Matches don't always go to plan; should ≠ will. That's why sport is exciting.

I believe Arsenal are very low on confidence. Whilst we have been dingdonged a few times this season, none of us expected any better than 4th - we've been dingdonged by teams in positions we didn't expect to get near. Arsenal fans and probably a few players thought they were going to win the league. The match against Chelsea pretty much ended their league season and there's very little to play for.

That's twofold.

I believe Arsenal are very low on confidence. Whilst we have been dingdonged a few times this season, none of us expected any better than 4th - we've been dingdonged by teams in positions we didn't expect to get near. Arsenal fans and probably a few players thought they were going to win the league. The match against Chelsea pretty much ended their league season and there's very little to play for.

Excuse me..". Arsnl have very little to play for". What!??!

At this rate they could well be caught for fourth by Everton ( cough ) and maybe even us! Their next game is against City and I believe they have yet to go to Everton. Still plenty to play for.

That's twofold.

Behave:lol: If Spurs lost to one of the lesser sides in the league would you come out with the 'matches don't always go to plan' speech in defence of Sherwood? Of course you wouldn't. As has been proven for the past few seasons now, anyone can beat anyone in this league there are no guaranteed 3pointer games like there used to be and you saying we should be walking all these sorts of games discredits your football knowledge more than it does Sherwood if he fails to do so.....

So a memory based on a memory supported by another memory but you are not willing to make any attempt whatsoever to provide any facts to support these memories?

Nope.

Timmeh's own gloating has been based on shouting he's been doing at half time, your point was that he's doing too much shouting before the game. You're shifting those goal posts again.

No, my point is that he's doing too much shouting (and not enough thinking).

We'll if your not going to take any steps to back up your own opinion and you don't respect mine enough to even discuss it then the discussion can't go any further.......................On a board for discussing matters relating to Tottenham Hotspur..............Which is run by you.

A strange stance there from you do you not think?

To find that strange would be to underestimate my laziness and to massively overestimate the value I attribute to other people's opinions.

A fair point and not one I disagreed with, although in order to control a game you need to keep possession, and in order to keep possession in the premier league you need to pass the ball quickly and crisply, and in order to do that from the beginning you have to start quickly.

I don't think a team needs to start quickly to keep the ball, they need to be agile of mind and body but that's not what I'd call starting quickly.

No-matter what environment is created the risk of human error never goes away completely. My issue is not with you believing that it is Tim Sherwood's fault, it is with your refusal to recognise the possibility that it could be nothing to do with him.

It's always something to do with him, he's the manager - he's where the blame lands. That's the nature of the job.

Whether he failed to ask for an upgrade in Jan, failed to create an environment where thinking is valued, failed to work on keeping concentration, failed to work on the weak points of individual players, failed to ensure that tactically there was always cover for our weaker players or all of the above, it's still his fault.

Oh the players are still the same so the problems are ones he inherited.

Strange thought process.

What if I took over the team and got them playing in the "everyone stand next to the corner flag" formation. Is it still an inherited problem when they lose?

The players are still the same, right?

Behave:lol: If Spurs lost to one of the lesser sides in the league would you come out with the 'matches don't always go to plan' speech in defence of Sherwood? Of course you wouldn't. As has been proven for the past few seasons now, anyone can beat anyone in this league there are no guaranteed 3pointer games like there used to be and you saying we should be walking all these sorts of games discredits your football knowledge more than it does Sherwood if he fails to do so.....

I think you're confusing should with will.

Anyone who is even moderately interested in football (barring pessimistic Spurs fans) would expect us to comfortably win those matches. Just because we should, doesn't mean we will. In fact, with Timmeh doing all he can to break everyone's confidence, tactical awareness and positioning I'd be incredibly surprised if we did win all of them.

That doesn't change the fact that before the season started almost all of us would have put wins in the BBC predictor for those matches.

You're right about the 2nd Chelsea goal, sorry. That's 6 in 3 - I count Rosicky's goal as it was due to our defence being completely out of shape.

Let's not count it, let's call it 5 in 3 matches leading to goals - that's still way over anything I've seen before (barring the late 90s maybe, but the less said about them, the better).

Er....how about:

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H) - Paulinho gives the ball away carelessly, Saudi Sportswashing Machine play Remy through on goal who scores
Emirates Marketing Project (A) - At least three goals down to poor individual mistakes
Man Utd (H) - Walker sets the ball up nicely for Rooney for the first, then Lloris gave away a penalty for the second

That's 6 goals in 3 games conceded to very poor individual errors, but that was ages ago right? Oh no wait it was earlier this season in the "good old days" when we had a proper manager who could coach all this stuff out of this wonderful group of players.

Tactically, Sherwood has had his good and bad moments. I've seen enough to be convinced that he's no-where near as bad tactically as AVB was though, which is an improvement. Where I think Sherwood struggles is in the way he communicates things. Sometimes, his messages don't seem to be "sticking" with the players. His response to that seemed to be to shout and scream at them, which can work well every once in a while (Ferguson hairdryer etc), but if it happens too often it loses its effect and either just ****es people off or makes them scared to make mistakes. There was a point a couple of weeks ago where it looked as though nobody was enjoying their football at the club - nobody was trying any fancy tricks or flicks, audacious attempts on goal, quick one-touch passes etc, but the performances are getting better and the players look as though their confidence is coming back. If Sherwood can keep morale high now that it's coming back up, we can finish the season strongly and I hope he can win over some of the doubters.

I'm yet to be convinced that we should keep him next season. I've seen potential in Sherwood, but I think this job may have come a little early for him as he needs some more media and man management experience for sure. He's certainly done a lot better than I ever thought he would when I put my head in my hands on hearing he'd been appointed full time. A lot of football fans seem to promote stats when they prove their point and try to discredit them when they don't, but here are a few facts that I think are worth bringing up:

1. Sherwood has the best points per game record in the league of ANY MANAGER WE HAVE EVER HAD. That's from I think a reasonable, reflective sample of 15 games that have included trips to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, St Marys and St James Park, as well as having Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project come to White Hart Lane.

2. Sherwood has the best goals scored per game record in the league of any manager we have had since Peter Shreeves left in 1986.

3. Only in one league game have we taken the lead but failed to win the game (West Brom at home, his second game), that shows a good ability to close games out. Whereas we've gained seven points from losing positions which shows a never say die attitude and a determination to get back into games when we fall behind. I know there was the West Ham cup game too. But there was also the Dnipro fightback and the Benfica fightback, in which we were a poor refereeing decision away from being the first team since Barcelona a year and a half ago to beat them on their own turf.

4. Mauricio Pochettino has gained lots of praise for his tactical innovation and the good football he plays with a talented Southampton side. There are only two managers who have been able to do the "double" over him in his time in English football - Jose Mourinho and Tim Sherwood. It should be noted that in both of Sherwood's victories, we not only deserved the win, but Sherwood used very different tactical approaches to get the results.

5. All of this with a horrific injury list to deal with, other managers coming out declaring that they want his job, the media constantly talking about how unstable his position is and unsettling the squad, several insultingly bad refereeing decisions going against us, having to work with a squad containing plenty of players he's had to use that he clearly doesn't rate, our rivals for a top 4 spot hitting ridiculous form, and of course, huge segments of the fan base being completely against him from the very start, no matter how well he does, undermining his every move, discrediting what he does well, not turning up to games, fuelling further speculation that his job is untenable and he'll be gone by the end of the season.

Remember how bad Chelsea were when Benitez took over last season? Their fans all screaming about how they didn't want him there etc? It was only when he said he was going to leave at the end of the season that the fans accepted he was only there for the short term, got behind him (or at least got off his back) and the team put a run of form together to finish 3rd and win the Europa League. I wonder what would happen if, even if you don't think he's the long term solution or he'll be here next season, our fan base actually got behind Sherwood for the rest of the season.

So because arsenal draw with swansea its ok for spurs to do the same? Because arsenal are better?

I don't understand this! Are you surrending to the notion that arsenal are still better than Spurs? Why shouldn't we be the better of the two?

So because arsenal draw with swansea its ok for spurs to do the same? Because arsenal are better?

I don't understand this! Are you surrending to the notion that arsenal are still better than Spurs? Why shouldn't we be the better of the two?

I don't think he's saying that at all, just that it goes to show that no manager is ever going to win all the games that he should win. Just as how Fergie would always have a few slip ups during a season. So saying we should win all these games, even with a brain dead chimp in charge is an unrealistic statement.

That really isn't what he's implying.

Well I have to conclude from that there was no evidence that it was a weakness in Naughton's game previous to the Southampton match therefore it is unreasonable to have expected TS to have coached it out of him.

No, my point is that he's doing too much shouting (and not enough thinking).

Your original question was 'concentration vs 1990s Dave Basset motivational shoutiness. Do you think that can have an effect on individual errors?' to which I responded TS must have an incredibly loud voice as he was in the stands when KN made the error. You then corrected me with;

'I'm talking about how they were sent out, not what's happening during the match. I think the advice being given by Ramsey during the match is probably quite good based on what I've heard about him.'

So your point was that Tim Sherwood's pre-match team talk caused KN's error. Not that he' doing too much shouting and not enough thinking. You're shifting the goalposts again.

To find that strange would be to underestimate my laziness and to massively overestimate the value I attribute to other people's opinions.

Lazyness is a fairly good excuse when you know that if you look into the data you will be proven wrong. It really wouldn't take that much effort. I'll tell you what, pick any five games from the ones I've listed and we'll look at the goals conceded.

I don't think a team needs to start quickly to keep the ball, they need to be agile of mind and body but that's not what I'd call starting quickly.

I think you are mis-understanding what I mean by 'starting quickly'. I don't mean we go out, run about and look busy and try and pepper the oppositions goal with as many shots as possible. I mean you go out sharp, ready to take on what comes at you and make the best of early opportunities, in order to do so, you need to be of agile body and mind and in order to do that you need to start quickly.

It's always something to do with him, he's the manager - he's where the blame lands. That's the nature of the job.

Whether he failed to ask for an upgrade in Jan, failed to create an environment where thinking is valued, failed to work on keeping concentration, failed to work on the weak points of individual players, failed to ensure that tactically there was always cover for our weaker players or all of the above, it's still his fault.

1. 'Something to do with him' is not equal to 'that is where the blame lands'. Yes of course it's always something to do with him, he's the manager. I can accept that, but I can't accept that you can put full blame on TS because a professional footballer makes a one off mistake that would not happen once if the same situation was presented 100 times.

2. You've defended AVB's record because he had an un-settled team. By your logic, that's his fault.

Er....how about:

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H) - Paulinho gives the ball away carelessly, Saudi Sportswashing Machine play Remy through on goal who scores
Emirates Marketing Project (A) - At least three goals down to poor individual mistakes
Man Utd (H) - Walker sets the ball up nicely for Rooney for the first, then Lloris gave away a penalty for the second

That's 6 goals in 3 games conceded to very poor individual errors, but that was ages ago right? Oh no wait it was earlier this season in the "good old days" when we had a proper manager who could coach all this stuff out of this wonderful group of players.

Tactically, Sherwood has had his good and bad moments. I've seen enough to be convinced that he's no-where near as bad tactically as AVB was though, which is an improvement. Where I think Sherwood struggles is in the way he communicates things. Sometimes, his messages don't seem to be "sticking" with the players. His response to that seemed to be to shout and scream at them, which can work well every once in a while (Ferguson hairdryer etc), but if it happens too often it loses its effect and either just ****es people off or makes them scared to make mistakes. There was a point a couple of weeks ago where it looked as though nobody was enjoying their football at the club - nobody was trying any fancy tricks or flicks, audacious attempts on goal, quick one-touch passes etc, but the performances are getting better and the players look as though their confidence is coming back. If Sherwood can keep morale high now that it's coming back up, we can finish the season strongly and I hope he can win over some of the doubters.

I'm yet to be convinced that we should keep him next season. I've seen potential in Sherwood, but I think this job may have come a little early for him as he needs some more media and man management experience for sure. He's certainly done a lot better than I ever thought he would when I put my head in my hands on hearing he'd been appointed full time. A lot of football fans seem to promote stats when they prove their point and try to discredit them when they don't, but here are a few facts that I think are worth bringing up:

1. Sherwood has the best points per game record in the league of ANY MANAGER WE HAVE EVER HAD. That's from I think a reasonable, reflective sample of 15 games that have included trips to Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, St Marys and St James Park, as well as having Arsenal and Emirates Marketing Project come to White Hart Lane.

2. Sherwood has the best goals scored per game record in the league of any manager we have had since Peter Shreeves left in 1986.

3. Only in one league game have we taken the lead but failed to win the game (West Brom at home, his second game), that shows a good ability to close games out. Whereas we've gained seven points from losing positions which shows a never say die attitude and a determination to get back into games when we fall behind. I know there was the West Ham cup game too. But there was also the Dnipro fightback and the Benfica fightback, in which we were a poor refereeing decision away from being the first team since Barcelona a year and a half ago to beat them on their own turf.

4. Mauricio Pochettino has gained lots of praise for his tactical innovation and the good football he plays with a talented Southampton side. There are only two managers who have been able to do the "double" over him in his time in English football - Jose Mourinho and Tim Sherwood. It should be noted that in both of Sherwood's victories, we not only deserved the win, but Sherwood used very different tactical approaches to get the results.

5. All of this with a horrific injury list to deal with, other managers coming out declaring that they want his job, the media constantly talking about how unstable his position is and unsettling the squad, several insultingly bad refereeing decisions going against us, having to work with a squad containing plenty of players he's had to use that he clearly doesn't rate, our rivals for a top 4 spot hitting ridiculous form, and of course, huge segments of the fan base being completely against him from the very start, no matter how well he does, undermining his every move, discrediting what he does well, not turning up to games, fuelling further speculation that his job is untenable and he'll be gone by the end of the season.

Remember how bad Chelsea were when Benitez took over last season? Their fans all screaming about how they didn't want him there etc? It was only when he said he was going to leave at the end of the season that the fans accepted he was only there for the short term, got behind him (or at least got off his back) and the team put a run of form together to finish 3rd and win the Europa League. I wonder what would happen if, even if you don't think he's the long term solution or he'll be here next season, our fan base actually got behind Sherwood for the rest of the season.

Well said. Great post.

Er....how about:

exactly

Going into the Liverpool game on Sunday...

P468_zps66269ea0.png

Or 60.4% if we lose.

Just as a comparison SAF's career record at Man U was 67.18% (P 1500, W 895, D 338, L 267, Total pts 3023, Possible Pts 4500)

Last edited:

Christ, it's BS hour again ..

How about somebody take those stats and remove the drop off that got each manager fired (since we are measuring TS's prime period with everyone else's prime +drop off)

The other thing you should notice is each manager got a better win % than the last, does it mean AVB was a better manager for us than Harry? absolutely not, what it means is as our revival/improvement has continued, we have had more money and hence better squads, while TS may not have the WC players (Modric/Bale), he has a larger and more capable squad in general (may not be balanced, but all those managers had squad balance issues).

And TS's issue is, like AVB and unlike Harry and BMJ, he might be getting results but we look and play like ****.

Christ, it's BS hour again ..

How about somebody take those stats and remove the drop off that got each manager fired (since we are measuring TS's prime period with everyone else's prime +drop off)

The other thing you should notice is each manager got a better win % than the last, does it mean AVB was a better manager for us than Harry? absolutely not, what it means is as our revival/improvement has continued, we have had more money and hence better squads, while TS may not have the WC players (Modric/Bale), he has a larger and more capable squad in general (may not be balanced, but all those managers had squad balance issues).

And TS's issue is, like AVB and unlike Harry and BMJ, he might be getting results but we look and play like ****.

We've lost 3 of our last 5 and could well lose again at the weekend I think we may have hit our dropoff point.

As for the squad being more capable I'd disagree, IMHO when we had Bale and Modric we were better than we are now.

As for it being BS hour, just because the stats don't backup your hatred of TS that doesn't make them invalid. :)

Back