• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

The results are most important and they've been excellent, but I'm just enjoying watching us again. We're getting players into the opposition's box and attacking with intent, not just prodding and probing and attacking at various points in the game.

Interesting his thoughts on Chadli & Lamela.....

so when defoe has left we will be left with

Soldado,Ade,Kane cf's

Chadli,Eriksen & Lamela support striker/attacking midfielders.

I have been an advocate of giving Tim a chance....I am also impressed so far with how he is talking...common sense with no bull or usual football cliche's.

I do think we have some serious work to do on the training ground for the rest of January with only two league games left for this month, that ties in with getting crucial players back from injury and integrated back into the team.
-keep building up hugo's confidence...try and work on him regarding set pieces as he still looks shaky
-We must work on the defensive side as we are taking risks still with Daws & Vlad playing a high line.....more so if we are not pressurising man on the ball
-We must start games better, and be in a better frame of mind
-work on understanding so we can play a higher tempo passing game
-move heaven & earth to get Solly firing and to keep up Ade's motivation levels.

I actually think with players back Tim will play:

Hugo

Walker Dawson Verts Rose

Lennon Sandro Paulie Townsend

Ade Solly

with defoe gone we can go

Lamela/Chadli/Eriksen

Ade/Solly/Kane

up front.

very pleased with todays win but am not getting carried away......what my eyes are telling me is that we have LOADS to do on the training ground and we are going to have to improve an awful lot to finish amongst the big boys.

Last edited:

It’s all about principles of how you play - shuffling across, being responsible in defensive areas, filling up in the middle of the park and having attacking options when you go forward.

“It doesn’t matter about formations. Football formations don’t win games, football players win games. I keep saying it so it’s boring, but it really is as simple as that.

_______

I think this is the key part of what he said. I read that as having the right blend of players who know their responsibilities when attacking and defending. And those players better be good ones if you want to win things.

On paper, there might only be two centre midfielders. But what if Eriksen "shuffles across"? Or a striker drops deep? Now there's 3 or 4 players in central midfield, and this goes for other areas of the pitch too I guess. The blend of players with complimentary attributes is what matters then, rather than labelling the system. (??)

It’s all about principles of how you play - shuffling across, being responsible in defensive areas, filling up in the middle of the park and having attacking options when you go forward.

“It doesn’t matter about formations. Football formations don’t win games, football players win games. I keep saying it so it’s boring, but it really is as simple as that.

_______

I think this is the key part of what he said. I read that as having the right blend of players who know their responsibilities when attacking and defending. And those players better be good ones if you want to win things.

On paper, there might only be two centre midfielders. But what if Eriksen "shuffles across"? Or a striker drops deep? Now there's 3 or 4 players in central midfield, and this goes for other areas of the pitch too I guess. The blend of players with complimentary attributes is what matters then, rather than labelling the system. (??)

I get that...unfortunately with ade & sollly in the first half we were playing 4-4-0!!!!

Both need to work a damn sight harder for the team we cant carry them against more clinical opposition.

So the quetsion becomes, if we aim to play with one striker and two supporting players where does that leave our midfield balance wise? Are we dropping a winger or are we playing with one striker and one of Lamela/Chadli creating a kind of wonky 433? In those quotes he says what we have all been saying about Lamela playing in an advanced creative slot whilst Chadli is the wide outlet. Is he speaking about progressing back to the shape people say he played back with the development sides or something new altogether?

So the quetsion becomes, if we aim to play with one striker and two supporting players where does that leave our midfield balance wise? Are we dropping a winger or are we playing with one striker and one of Lamela/Chadli creating a kind of wonky 433? In those quotes he says what we have all been saying about Lamela playing in an advanced creative slot whilst Chadli is the wide outlet. Is he speaking about progressing back to the shape people say he played back with the development sides or something new altogether?

Well im guessing timmy will always want to play with width.... I am thinking he would like to try Lennon & Townsend as wingers against certain teams for the 'pace' factor.......that leaves Eriksen to be fitted in behind a striker...the two cms being Paulie & Sandro.....we shall see....

at this point going on the Palace peformance I will be very worried if Ade & Solly start at home vs City......as a partnership for me they took two steps back today.

not clear to me that sherwood is making the right decisions with the team so far.
we've been attacking more, but we've certainly been vulnerable at the back.
real test coming up with some real team...i do anticipate that we're looking at a couple more trashings if we continue with that defensive system which feels as if it hasn't been modified to suit the changes made up front.

I think we've got a good chance at Swansea, but Emirates Marketing Project are gonna tear us several new ones the way we're playing at the moment.

Well im guessing timmy will always want to play with width.... I am thinking he would like to try Lennon & Townsend as wingers against certain teams for the 'pace' factor.......that leaves Eriksen to be fitted in behind a striker...the two cms being Paulie & Sandro.....we shall see....

at this point going on the Palace peformance I will be very worried if Ade & Solly start at home vs City......as a partnership for me they took two steps back today.

I'd be surprised if he dropped Eriksen for Townsend. Two out and out wingers would leave us even more exposed in central midfield and Eriksen has played well and benefitted from a run in the team.

not clear to me that sherwood is making the right decisions with the team so far.
real test coming up with some real team...i do anticipate that we're looking at a couple more trashings if we continue with that defensive system which feels as if it hasn't been modified to suit the changes made up front.

I have similar concerns, hopefully it's all part of a long term plan or down to available personnel and not just the way he intends it to be

early days still

Defensively we do look a bit of a shambles but dont forget Timmy has had one weeks training with them - last week was the first week without a game where he could train the players etc. Also at the moment he has sandro and Paulinho injured, Verts and Kaboul injured and NOW has Walker injured. We were also shambolic defensively before he took over.

All of those issues combined would result in a few deficiencies within the team. I am gathering he had to work on one area at a time and at present with the players we have available its so much simpler to get the attack sorted than the defending.

More vulnerable than when we got spanked 5-0 3-0 at home 6-0 away? I agree we look anything but water tight, but certainly no worse than the last stretch under AVB.

Myself and others were adamant at the time that the only reason we had that stretch of what on paper were good defensive performances, was because teams were affording us too much respect.

Add Verts back into the mix and we'll instantly look stronger defensively too.

What 'real' teams are you talking about. So far under Sherwood we have played Arsenal and Man Utd away. They're real teams aren't they :-k

Plus we can't have it both ways I suppose: we want to attack more and if at the same time were going to blood youngsters like Bentaleb then there's going to be defensive side effects.

I think that if Tim is going to persist in playing Ade & Solly then the coaching staff need to get stuck into those two players.....if they are not working their asses off then we will struggle with 4 in midfield.....(compare the workrate of Dzeko & Negredo the other night) I do worry against Swansea and certainly Emirates Marketing Project........that we will fail if we cant get workrate from ade & solly, well just a peformance from solly would be nice.....

loads to do on the training pitch.....hopefully we will get to a scenario in the future where we can try Lamela off a striker.......either way if we play the two strikers they must put in the work otherwise more clinical teams than Palace will make us look poor.

I agree with that. We must get much more out of our strikers. New striking coach perhaps?

The results are most important and they've been excellent, but I'm just enjoying watching us again. We're getting players into the opposition's box and attacking with intent, not just prodding and probing and attacking at various points in the game.

Here here. Me too !

More vulnerable than when we got spanked 5-0 3-0 at home 6-0 away? I agree we look anything but water tight, but certainly no worse than the last stretch under AVB.

Myself and others were adamant at the time that the only reason we had that stretch of what on paper were good defensive performances, was because teams were affording us too much respect.

Add Verts back into the mix and we'll instantly look stronger defensively too.

What 'real' teams are you talking about. So far under Sherwood we have played Arsenal and Man Utd away. They're real teams aren't they :-k

Plus we can't have it both ways I suppose: we want to attack more and if at the same time were going to blood youngsters like Bentaleb then there's going to be defensive side effects.

Well said. Early days but encouraging signs under TS.

To be honest I think the fact we have given up on the high line is also part of why we look shakier. It was exactly as AVB said, the high line is low risk in some situations, but it does compress play.

Under TS we have seen the defence stay deeper in possession and the midfield become more involved, the passing has been somewhat better but I definately think we are helped by having a players who likes to keep things ticking over in the middle (Bentaleb & to a lesser extent Eriksen). We aren't seeing our centre backs having to make decisions on who to play it forward to because there is now space and movement of players into that space to aim for. Unfortunately when moves break down that space is then available to the opposition, but I think this is a case of where we can't have it both ways. Some of our tackling in midfield was aweful yesterday though and we looked an improved side in the second half, individual errors played a large part in our problems yesterday.

I'm a little worried by what Sherwood is saying to be honest. Of course transitions are hugely important in football and freedom to play is great but that doesn't mean there shouldn't also be some kind of structure and rigidity. Part of the reason the top managers are the top managers is because they have systems in place and can coach players to know where other players are supposed to be. Football is much easier when you can play being fully confident in where your teammates are.

And yes players win matches but if we're going to punch above our weight, we're going to need something a bit more than just that.

I'm a little worried by what Sherwood is saying to be honest. Of course transitions are hugely important in football and freedom to play is great but that doesn't mean there shouldn't also be some kind of structure and rigidity. Part of the reason the top managers are the top managers is because they have systems in place and can coach players to know where other players are supposed to be. Football is much easier when you can play being fully confident in where your teammates are.

And yes players win matches but if we're going to punch above our weight, we're going to need something a bit more than just that.

Not worried at this point. Between Sherwood, Freund and Ramsey there's a lot of knowledge about football. Did you read the article linked by JerusalemMan above? I think Sherwood has shown that there's a lot more to him than he's presenting in the media.

Like Redknapp, and unlike AVB, Sherwood knows what the media in England want and he wants to keep them on his side so he's providing them the quotes they're after.

I'm sure he has a system in mind, with the number of games we've had so far and the number of injuries he's had to deal with along with being thrown in at the deep end when we had some real and obvious issues I don't think too much can be learned from what has gone on so far on the pitch. Will be interesting to see what happens throughout January with more rest between matches and players returning from injury.

Back