• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

No of course not.....If your a smart manager you take care of the here and now and also make plans for the future.

I would love to have a manager that lasted......no it doesnt have to be timmy because although I want him to have his chance I am as unsure about him as the next guy.

I think he can plan for a bit if things go well.....we are a cusp club...potentially we can hit the big time or fall to obscurity. yes there are more tempting jobs out there than managing us but not bucket loads....I see no reason why we cant at least have a manager for 5 years...if they are good enough........ground on the way (hopefully) world class facilities bags of young potential, solid senior pro's.....Baldini's contact's.....maybe or maybe not timmy but I see no reason why a half decent manager couldnt hang around with us for 5 years......

I thought that this was an interesting read on managerial targets and rewards

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/9099873/An-Innovative-Solution-To-Rewarding-Managerial-Failure

I wonder if with us and WBA giving our new managers 18 month contracts might be a change in direction and we could see more of this kind of thing in the future

We made inquiries and the answer was he would only consider it if we were in the CL and he had a transfer budget.

And therein lies the rub. Not only does he spend a fortune building this teams, but they play truly mind numbing football. And then there's the moaning and the cheating to gain any advantage.

And therein lies the rub. Not only does he spend a fortune building this teams, but they play truly mind numbing football. And then there's the moaning and the cheating to gain any advantage.

And he would have no interest in bringing through our youth players. I cannot imagine that he and Levy would get on like a house on fire either

I think to a certain extent D Levy 'trusts' Tim Sherwood, maybe not enough to give him that 10 year contract that timmy wanted...but the 18 month contract says to me that Levy trusts him enough to 'give him a chance'.....I think Levy will be scarred by certain appointments and has had his faith shook by the AVB saga. The 18 months says to me here's your opportunity but I will make contingency plans if things dont go well.

The fact that Tim & Levy get on could be a major plus point for us fans, they have years worth of discussions behind them means they hopefully have a bond and will work effectively together to ensure we keep progressing...imagine if timmy goes to Levy and demands another striker.....maybe he will curry Levy's favour where others have failed...of course I think Baldini is the interesting factor in all of this going by he was the previous managers wish.

Just a word of caution re Levy and Sherwood getting along together....

Levy & Redknapp were very pally for years. Harry was often a guest at WHL and bent Levy's ear for a few years until eventually he gave him the job. That didn't stop them falling out within 3 years. Similarly AVB & Levy seemed to get on very well for 12 months and then the relationship soured.
To me Levy gets on with people when things are going well and/or they don't want much from him. When managers start talking about big cash investment, a player they particularly want or they dip from previous performance peaks he seems to get itchy feet and turns cold towards them. How many times have we seen articles saying that Levy and Manager X don't get on? At somepoint the perception has to change that it is an issue with our Chairman rather than the arrogance of successive managers.

Since Tim took charge:

Pos
Team
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Emirates Marketing Project
Manchester United
Arsenal
Everton
Sunderland
Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Liverpool
West Bromwich Albion
Southampton
Fulham
Hull City
Aston Villa
West Ham United
Crystal Palace
Stoke City
Norwich City
Swansea City
Cardiff City
Pld
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

The above table makes for decent reading but there are many battles ahead.

We must get to the stage where tim can get us flying out the blocks.....too many slow starts and today Tim & his team got lucky to not be punished.

Tim must also try to get a tune from Soldado who seems to have had another unproductive day. A positive is that we got the result and his half time talk had the desired effect....outweighing the negative of a slow start and a poor first half.

We may have got lucky but thats back to back wins at home and we now have positive goal difference.....We are still in the mix with two more difficult games to come in January. Tim and the coaching staff deserve some credit for our premier league form....the win at Old Trafford the high point so far.

That makes good reading that table but it's a) incredibly small sample size and b) our fixtures have been kind to him- three very winnable home games, an away trip to Man Utd at the absolute right time to play them and Southampton away when they had no first choice defenders or goalkeeper.

I'm aware we've had injuries too though so I'll give him credit for our results. Still think our performances have been a real mix of good and bad and it's a black mark that we've been knocked out of two trophies by our two biggest rivals.

There are positives from his reign so far, but let's not get carried away (yet).

First half was just awful today, he has to get them starting games much better. Good subs though and whatever he said to them at half-time seemed to give the players a boost.

Performance wise, we look poor at the back. But we are creating more goal-scoring chances. Still a long way to go before I can confidently say he's doing well, but it's going in the right direction in terms of league results.

That makes good reading that table but it's a) incredibly small sample size and b) our fixtures have been kind to him- three very winnable home games, an away trip to Man Utd at the absolute right time to
and Southampton away when they had no first choice defenders or goalkeeper.

I'm aware we've had injuries too though so I'll give him credit for our results. Still think our performances have been a real mix of good and bad and it's a black mark that we've been knocked out of two trophies by our two biggest rivals.

There are positives from his reign so far, but let's not get carried away (yet).

Agreed, apart from perhaps on Man Utd who have 4 of the last 5 apart from losing to us, but in the context of inheriting a fortunate 7th place and sinking I think we've seen solid and objective improvement. The way we were playing pre-Sherwood I think we were looking at 6 points max from those games, 8th place, 8 points off 4th and season more or less dead.

I think that if Tim is going to persist in playing Ade & Solly then the coaching staff need to get stuck into those two players.....if they are not working their asses off then we will struggle with 4 in midfield.....(compare the workrate of Dzeko & Negredo the other night) I do worry against Swansea and certainly Emirates Marketing Project........that we will fail if we cant get workrate from ade & solly, well just a peformance from solly would be nice.....

loads to do on the training pitch.....hopefully we will get to a scenario in the future where we can try Lamela off a striker.......either way if we play the two strikers they must put in the work otherwise more clinical teams than Palace will make us look poor.

I think that if Tim is going to persist in playing Ade & Solly then the coaching staff need to get stuck into those two players.....if they are not working their asses off then we will struggle with 4 in midfield.....(compare the workrate of Dzeko & Negredo the other night) I do worry against Swansea and certainly Emirates Marketing Project........that we will fail if we cant get workrate from ade & solly, well just a peformance from solly would be nice.....

loads to do on the training pitch.....hopefully we will get to a scenario in the future where we can try Lamela off a striker.......either way if we play the two strikers they must put in the work otherwise more clinical teams than Palace will make us look poor.

Hopefully, it was just a blip for Soldado and Ade today. Their work rate under Sherwood has been good so far, hopefully it was just a bad day at the office.

I don't think that Lamela has the physical attributes or the work rate to play centrally yet and both AVB and Sherwood have said that he is taking time to settle in England, so I don't think that we are going to see him featuring regularly for a while.

A couple of positives after today -- currently, on our longest unbeaten run in the league so far this season with 5 games. Also, this is the first time this season that we have managed to win 3 league games in a row.

Since Tim took charge:

Pos
Team
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea
Emirates Marketing Project
Manchester United
Arsenal
Everton
Sunderland
Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Liverpool
West Bromwich Albion
Southampton
Fulham
Hull City
Aston Villa
West Ham United
Crystal Palace
Stoke City
Norwich City
Swansea City
Cardiff City
Pld
W
D
L
F
A
Pts

Only negative so far has been going out of 2 cup competitions rather limply. Do hope he has us doing better in Europa league. Obviously not as important to the future of the club as getting top 4 but still we are a club with a proud history of doing well in the cups and I am still an old fashioned fan.

Not sure if it has been posted here or elsewhere already, but I thought this was a decent article with some real quotes from Sherwood:

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham/spurs_boss_considers_change_of_style_to_incorporate_chadli_and_lamela_1_3199838

Sherwood said: “We’ve got Nacer Chadli - for me his best position is going to be off the front - and Erik Lamela. I think he will play in the hole behind the main striker.

“They haven’t played really so it’s hard to judge them. I don’t see it as a risk. I won’t be banging on the door saying ‘I need this player or that one’. Whoever you bring in would be a risk anyway because he has got to settle.

“These boys are halfway through the settling-in period so I don’t want to bring somebody else in and knock them back.

“We will crack on with what we have got – and I believe in them. I believe they can do a job and we will change the way we play, maybe.

“I’m looking for a change of style, possibly, to freshen it up - and we have the options within the squad already.”

When Sherwood was asked whether he means he is developing a Plan B, in addition to the 4-4-2 system he has preferred so far, he replied: “Not a plan B.

“A lot is made of formations. I see it quoted in papers and the pundits making a lot of it - either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3. It’s all a load of rubbish.

“It’s all about principles of how you play - shuffling across, being responsible in defensive areas, filling up in the middle of the park and having attacking options when you go forward.

“It doesn’t matter about formations. Football formations don’t win games, football players win games. I keep saying it so it’s boring, but it really is as simple as that.

“What did Manchester United play under Fergie [Sir Alex Ferguson]? 4-4-2? I think so. That’s what everybody said and they won everything.

“Arsenal, who are probably one of the best football teams at the moment, what do they play? 4-3-3? Who knows?

“When you’re out of possession, you’re always out of balance. It’s about how you shuffle back in and defend it.”

Not sure if it has been posted here or elsewhere already, but I thought this was a decent article with some real quotes from Sherwood:

http://www.london24.com/sport/tottenham/spurs_boss_considers_change_of_style_to_incorporate_chadli_and_lamela_1_3199838

Thats why I like Timmy boy - he doesnt get bogged down in formations and as I have said in the other thread - its merely about a mindset of players. Implementing a set of instructions such as defend and attack.

Thats why I like Timmy boy - he doesnt get bogged down in formations and as I have said in the other thread - its merely about a mindset of players. Implementing a set of instructions such as defend and attack.

I don't think that he is saying that

Back