• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I've often thought in the past that a 4-5-1/4-3-3 was the best way to go against them lot but in all honesty our best performance in recent years against them was the 2-1 win at home in 09/10. Granted it was at home but we played like an away side on the counter. Two compact banks of four - let them have the ball in front of us, deny space in behind, two strikers working hard and pressing hard to prevent out balls (Defoe/Pav) and hit them hard and strong on the break, punishing their mistakes. They had loads of the ball but looked toothless and we were well worth the win.

If you match up against them, to some extent you have to be better than them at their own game, which frankly, we're not.

Also we've tried a few formations against them in recent years. When we came back to win 3-2 we were playing Lennon wide and VDV off Crouch in a 4-4-1-1/4-5-1 in the 1st half and were out of it at 0-2, 2nd half VDV went wide and Defoe came on. We ran out winners, yet the following season Harry started off like that and we were basically murdered but lucky to be level at WHL so we took VDV off and ended up winning. It depends on the day, the mental attitude of the players, fatigue/injuries and most importantly, taking your chances when they come along. If Eriksen takes that big, big chance at the start then I suspect its a very different game.

A very good post, well worth everyone reading and thinking about.

442 = tactical dunce
433 = tactical guru

That about sums it up doesn't it? Stick them in a 433 and you're suddenly a progressive, forward-thinking tactical mastermind.

442 = tactical dunce
433 = tactical guru

That about sums it up doesn't it? Stick them in a 433 and you're suddenly a progressive, forward-thinking tactical mastermind.

4-4-2 with Ade so often becomes 4-4-1.

4-4-2 with two wingers hugging the touchline is close to suicide against any team that packs the centre of midfield, but if you play with Eriksen roaming, is it really 4-4-2?

4-4-2 with Ade so often becomes 4-4-1.

4-4-2 with two wingers hugging the touchline is close to suicide against any team that packs the centre of midfield, but if you play with Eriksen roaming, is it really 4-4-2?

Depends whether you have an agenda or not I guess.

Depends whether you have an agenda or not I guess.

4-4-2 for me is playing with two banks of 4. We only did that against West Ham IMO. Since then we've tried to adopt a more fluid system, but the players aren't quite up to speed yet and I don't think Ade/Soldado is the way to go if I'm understanding what Tim wants to do correctly.

I agree, this is the orthodox British 442

4rfFPzs.jpg

We obviously haven't played like that but whilst we still play two forwards then the Sherwood haters will still carry on with their Mike Bassett 442 schtick.

4-4-2 for me is playing with two banks of 4. We only did that against West Ham IMO. Since then we've tried to adopt a more fluid system, but the players aren't quite up to speed yet and I don't think Ade/Soldado is the way to go if I'm understanding what Tim wants to do correctly.

Good post.

I honestly think Sherwood was brave and did alright yesterday. Two strikers and Bentaleb was risky and we were always going to be a bit exposed against a good Arsenal side. The fact is that with the form they're in there's no team we could have set out that would have completely stopped them from creating chances. Particularly with some of our injuries.

A couple of "almost" situations that could have changed the outcome of the match.

no one is calling it good today, are they? maybe they are and i am missing it but i accept that it was a bad day at the office ..... the idea that the one game sort of takes away everything else and proves people right is wrong for me

it would be interesting to get the results over wenger's tenure when we have gone to their ground and come away even playing well let alone a result

I don't think this game takes away everything else and proves people right...I still back Tim and place no blame at his door for yesterday really. I think the players didn't impose themselves, probably because they were knackered at playing lots of games with lots of injuries in the squad.

But people are saying that was good, or at least they're looking at it as a 'if only that shot from 20 yards out went in it could have turned the game' sort of way. And absolutely no way would people have been saying that had the previous regime been in charge. Hypocrisy that you saw during AVB's reign following Harry, I see it now that he is gone.

Eriksen chance, Soldado dragging a 20 yard shot wide and Ade falling over while trying to volley during a 360 degree turn. If these were our main chances in a match in November the analysis of the game would be plenty different, I'm sure of it.

I'm not saying this to call out Tim, because I completely back him.

I don't think this game takes away everything else and proves people right...I still back Tim and place no blame at his door for yesterday really. I think the players didn't impose themselves, probably because they were knackered at playing lots of games with lots of injuries in the squad.

But people are saying that was good, or at least they're looking at it as a 'if only that shot from 20 yards out went in it could have turned the game' sort of way. And absolutely no way would people have been saying that had the previous regime been in charge. Hypocrisy that you saw during AVB's reign following Harry, I see it now that he is gone.

Eriksen chance, Soldado dragging a 20 yard shot wide and Ade falling over while trying to volley during a 360 degree turn. If these were our main chances in a match in November the analysis of the game would be plenty different, I'm sure of it.

I'm not saying this to call out Tim, because I completely back him.

Spot on. No-one has even dared argue with you on this point that you've raised several times about yesterday.
Quite frankly because nobody can

The issue is not 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but using the best formation for the quality of players available. Anyone with some nous would have predicted that there is NO F**** WAY that a midfield of Lennon - Bentaleb - Dembele - Eriksen would live with Arsenal's thoroughbreds, their passing and their movement. That is where Sherwood was a tactical dunce. The only hope was to play deep, pack the middle and then hit them on the counter using pacy wingers. But he went there with football's equivalent of the Charge of the Light phalanx. He was naive to believe his own hype that the tactics that brought a win at Old Trafford - determined by suicidal defending by a Utd team whose midfield is their weakest for decades - could give the same results at the Emirates when it was patently obvious that it would not. His only hope was to pack the midfield, with a threesome of decent tacklers in Capoue, Dembele and Eriksen and two speedy wingers in Lennon and Chadli, with the latter covering Rose and his known defensive liabilities.

But having made a stick for his own back in ridiculing AVB, he couldn't bring himself to do that and use his nemesis's formation and tactics...

I was starting to warm to Sherwood despite a mountain of reservations but this has put me back to square one.

The issue is not 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 but using the best formation for the quality of players available. Anyone with some nous would have predicted that there is NO F**** WAY that a midfield of Lennon - Bentaleb - Dembele - Eriksen would live with Arsenal's thoroughbreds, their passing and their movement. That is where Sherwood was a tactical dunce. The only hope was to play deep, pack the middle and then hit them on the counter using pacy wingers. But he went there with football's equivalent of the Charge of the Light phalanx. He was naive to believe his own hype that the tactics that brought a win at Old Trafford - determined by suicidal defending by a Utd team whose midfield is their weakest for decades - could give the same results at the Emirates when it was patently obvious that it would not. His only hope was to pack the midfield, with a threesome of decent tacklers in Capoue, Dembele and Eriksen and two speedy wingers in Lennon and Chadli, with the latter covering Rose and his known defensive liabilities.

But having made a stick for his own back in ridiculing AVB, he couldn't bring himself to do that and use his nemesis's formation and tactics...

I was starting to warm to Sherwood despite a mountain of reservations but this has put me back to square one.

Interesting...

When did Sherwood ridicule AVB?

With regards to the rest, maybe he does not feel that he is at a stage where he can chop and change formation with every game, particularly with such a lengthy injury list. I don't think that we would have had an issue with being outnumbered in the centre if Ade had had a similar performance to the one he put in at Old Trafford. Winning there would still have been a big ask but we would have had more of a chance.

to all those wanting a manager with experience, anyone for Davie Moyes ????:ross:.....plenty of experience there

Agree Milo. And despite the certainty of the Falcon, we'll never know if packing the middle would have worked. It might have handed them the initiative to build attack after attack. Rather than be worried about us scoring. Which we had chances to. Many teams have tried packing the middle and been unsuccessful. Good points never the less.

We can't have it both ways as fans. We can't blame Sherwood entirely for yesterday and give him no credit for Man United.

The strategy at United was sound, and it worked. That's down to Tim as much as it is down to our players carrying it out and United players playing poorly. We have to be fair and give credit where it's due.

**** took their few chances, we scuffed ours....it was actually a tight game. I dont think either side played to their potential tbh

Back