• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2014-2015

Maybe we changed out coaching structure a while back but only now are we seeing the first few years of graduates that have benefitted from following that structure from start to finish? Inglethorpe is a coach who many people on here rate highly and the guy did a lot of work between 2006 and 2012 before moving on to Liverpool. I can't claim to know a lot about this, only that whenever I read about our academy his name along with McDermott's and to a lesser extent Ramsey and Sherwood are mentionned as being the driving forces behind how we coach our youngsters.

That's exactly it, IMO.

The big change started in 2004-05, with Frank Arnesen. And then with the appointment of John McDermott. I think Ricardo Moniz was also quite influential.

Some of you might remember bankrupt, who used to post here. He managed to get an interview with McDermott 5+ years ago and wrote it up on the forum. It was a superb piece. Very encouraging reading at the time and it's fantastic now to see it becoming reality.

Inglethorpe was U18 coach, by the way. Did a great job but the credit for the overall implementation of the plan has to go to McDermott.

Thanks Jimmy. I was trying to find out when he started working for us, but could only find things saying 2009, which didn't make sense because I thought he had been with us longer than that.

The other thing is that every age group(and 1st team) is coached to play the same way with the idea being that the transition through each group and into the 1st team is seamless, there's much more emphasis now on playing "the Spurs way" than there is on results, English football is catching up and there's no reason England shouldn't be competing with the likes of Germany and Spain. Of that list I think Veljkovic could start away to Leicester and not let anyone down, he's played against the likes of Isco, Muniain, Deulofeu, Morata etc and more than held his own, it took Spain 181 minutes until they broke through a Veljkovic-led Serbia defence, the Boro loan has been such a waste but I guess the "experience" might do him some good.

If I had to pick one other player to make it from that list of names then it would be Onomah, he really could be a big player for us if it all goes right. I was stunned the first time I saw him, he's like 6'1 or so but the way he moves and his balance is that of someone much smaller, he has so much ability with the ball as well. He's not as battle-ready as Winks but I think he has a higher ceiling, not to dismiss Winks who looks a very good player himself. Marcus Edwards was described by Tim Sherwood as the most talented young player he's seen and the kind of player that makes you want to come in to work, he looks like a mini Willian in appearance and plays like a #10 version of Messi, there's never a game in which he plays where he doesn't stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest technically, whether that transfers into games in the older age groups I don't know, I think he's still 15 and has been playing with the u18s lately but for some reason wasn't in the squad for their tour to the US.

Last edited:
The other thing is that every age group is coached to play the same way with the idea being that the transition through each group and into the 1st team is seamless, there's much more emphasis now on playing "the Spurs way" than there is on results, English football is catching up and there's no reason England shouldn't be competing with the likes of Germany and Spain. Of that list I think Veljkovic could start away to Leicester and not let anyone down, he's played against the likes of Isco, Muniain, Deulofeu, Morata etc and more than held his own, it took Spain 181 minutes until they broke through a Veljkovic-led Serbia defence, the Boro loan has been such a waste but I guess the "experience" might do him some good.

If I had to pick one other player to make it from that list of names then it would be Onomah, he really could be a big player for us if it all goes right. I was stunned the first time I saw him, he's like 6'1 or so but the way he moves and his balance is that of someone much smaller, he has so much ability with the ball as well. He's not as battle-ready as Winks but I think he has a higher ceiling, not to dismiss Winks who looks a very good player himself. Marcus Edwards was described by Tim Sherwood as the most talented young player he's seen and the kind of player that makes you want to come in to work, he looks like a mini Willian in appearance and plays like a #10 version of Messi, there's never a game in which he plays where he doesn't stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest technically, whether that transfers into games in the older age groups I don't know, I think he's still 15 and has been playing with the u18s lately but for some reason wasn't in the squad for their tour to the US.

Onomah has been likened to Paul Pogba. Has a languid style but actually presses really well too. Primarily an attacking midfielder but can play box to box too. Agreed that, if full potential is realised, he probably has a higher ceiling than Winks.

Marcus Edwards is possibly an even more exciting prospect - but a couple of years younger so more opportunity for things to go wrong before he matures. Fingers crossed. Such a clever passer of the ball. Possibly didn't go to the US because he's already been away with England u17's for a while this season?

And Cameron Carter Vickers has every bit as much potential. Ridiculously good at 16. And it's not (at least, I hope it's not) just because he's so physically imposing at such a young age. He's quick and can really play too. Definitely more King (or Campbell - spit) than Caulker, IMO.

The players mentioned in the two posts cover about five years - from Dominic Ball at 20 yrs old to the likes of Marcus Edwards and Tashan Oakley-Boothe who are still eligible for the under 16's. So even though many players are mentioned, they're not concentrated in one or two years.

And, of course, only a small percentage of them are likely to make it long term at Spurs. So many reasons why some talented kids don't eventually make it while others, perhaps less talented when younger, go on to enjoy stellar careers.

Nevertheless, there can be no question that the overall quality of player coming through our youth system is now on a different level to what it was even five years ago - let alone ten or fifteen. It's all down to greater resources; vastly improved scouting; better coaches; a superior coaching philosophy; superb new facilities at Hotspur Way; and, above all, the leadership of John McDermott, IMO. Anyone who has watched Spurs youth games, even down as far as the under 9's, will tell you that they tend to have a superior skill level over their opponents even if they aren't physically superior.

So while we can't expect the whole team to be comprised of academy graduates over the coming years, it's not unreasonable, I think, to hope that a good third of the squad will be. And there will be some genuinely top class talents among them, I'm sure. I'd even expect many (of those mentioned) that don't make it at Spurs to have decent careers elsewhere.

That is a genuinely exciting prospect. [-o<

And thank you for describing Onomah and Edwards (you too, Rossi). It seems we have a lot to look forward, to youth-wise. A possible young, English Pogba, and a player more exciting than even that prospect? o_O

Wow. Just....wow.

And thank you for describing Onomah and Edwards (you too, Rossi). It seems we have a lot to look forward, to youth-wise. A possible young, English Pogba, and a player more exciting than even that prospect? o_O

Wow. Just....wow.

Indeed.

Let's just hope that we don't Spurs it up!

Wow. Just....wow.

Here's a little bit of Marcus Edwards, it's not much but you can see his ability.

England u16s:

[video=youtube;eS7ZW3VjC78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS7ZW3VjC78[/video]

England u17s:

[video=youtube;5fS8t07MHpw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fS8t07MHpw[/video]

(As I said above, he's the little kid with the Willian afro)

Another couple of clips here. Azzaoui goal at 1:32 and Edwards bit at 2:58

[video=youtube;dZu8wNTlmww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZu8wNTlmww[/video]

Marcus Edwards http://www.thefa.com/news/england/d...football-makes-him-smile-on-the-inside-010814

Another Andros in that he's representative of the local diaspora with a Cypriot mother.

Exciting times indeed :)

Just spoke to my nephew and it seems he knows Marcus very well. Shows how much I pay attention to him :(

From memory, he thinks that he supported the goons (boo). But he did say that his father is a huge influence and took him to play football very regularly from the age of 6. Apparently extremely determined to succeed in footie. There was more he told me but not for this forum haha.

My other nephew knows Dombaxe - I couldn't recall his progress though.

Just spoke to my nephew and it seems he knows Marcus very well. Shows how much I pay attention to him :(

From memory, he thinks that he supported the goons (boo). But he did say that his father is a huge influence and took him to play football very regularly from the age of 6. Apparently extremely determined to succeed in footie. There was more he told me but not for this forum haha.

My other nephew knows Dombaxe - I couldn't recall his progress though.

the boy has fantastic ability. hopefully he can continue to improve then eventually get in our first team

Aitor Karanka is 'pleased' with Milos Veljkovic and considering extending his loan deal

Boro's head coach praised the young Serbian for his performance after handing him his first start for Boro at Ewood Park

iddeJS53597702.jpg

Aitor Karanka is giving serious thought to extending Milos Veljkovic’s loan spell.

The 19-year-old Tottenham defensive midfielder’s current stint with Boro is due to lapse next month.

Veljkovic joined the club in mid-October and initially struggled to break into the first team.

He had to wait until the fixture at Millwall on December 6 to make his debut, coming off the bench in the 63rd minute.

His second appearance came two weeks later when he replaced Kenneth Omeruo just after the hour mark in the 2-0 defeat at Ipswich.

The Serbian finally made his first Boro start at Blackburn on Sunday, performing well in a holding role in central midfield alongside Grant Leadbitter.

Karanka was pleased with how Veljkovic played in a tight 0-0 draw.

"He did well, his performance was good," he said.

"Maybe in terms of play he could be better but I am pleased with him because it was difficult for him to play in that kind of atmosphere, the stadium was nearly full, 7,000 people from Middlesbrough were supporting us.

JS53605954.jpg

"He is just 19-years-old and he showed confidence."

Asked whether he would be extending the teenager’s loan deal, the Boro boss added: "I am thinking about the future and I am pleased with his performance.

"At the moment we have to wait and think about the second part of the season."

Chelsea keeper Jamal Blackman’s loan deal with Boro also lapses next month but it is looking unlikely that he will be retained after making just one start in four months with the club.

On the 21-year-old’s future, Karanka said: "I have made the decision but I have to speak to the keeper first and to Chelsea to achieve the best thing for everybody."

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/promising-milos-display-could-lead-8357060

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/12/30/why-cristian-ceballos-comments-will-worry-tottenham-hotspur-boss/

Tottenham Hotspur youngster Cristian Ceballos has revealed he’s trying to leave the North London club permanently because he doesn’t feel he’s going to get a chance under Mauricio Pochettino.

The 22-year-old attacking midfielder has been on loan with Arouca and told Marca that he’s looking for a way to leave Tottenham on a permanent basis.

“I’m waiting for January because I’m trying to leave due to a lack of first-team football,” said the Spaniard.

“I started well, but there are 26 of us in the squad and there are very few opportunities right now.”

“There are some great players here and a lot of depth in the squad.”

Ceballos clearly feels there are several ahead of him in the pecking order and seems to hold the belief that youngsters will struggle to get chances in the current setup at White Hart Lane.

However, Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason and Harry Kane are all good examples of younger players who have developed into important first team players having made the most of their chances when they’ve been given them.

Unfortunately for Ceballos, central midfield is one of the busiest areas of Pochettino’s current squad and the boss has to work hard to ensure that other younger players don’t feel as though they don’t have any prospects at Tottenham.

The Argentine needs to continue using younger players in rotation with his other stars to show that there are first team opportunities for youngsters in the youth ranks, and out on loan, if they work hard enough.

In this instance, Ceballos doesn’t seem to have done enough to force his way into Pochettino’s thinking and the club have already adjusted with a midfield full of sustainable players over a long period.

On the one hand, Pochettino will be worried that other young players may feel and think the same and on the other hand, he’ll be happy with the current shape and direction his midfield is heading.

IIRC isn't he excluded because we have too many overseas players already in the PL squad?? If we were to ditch a few of them then he might get a look in. Then again maybe Poch doesn't rate him

Back