• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Winger Thread

I keep hearing Chadli never tries to beat his man, yet every time I watch us play he does that all the time. Pretty sure this 'not tracking back' thing is a bit of a myth as well, gonna have to keep an eye on that from now on.
I agree, he just doesn't track back as well as lamella does so looks bad.
I think there is a correlation with how he tracks back and his goals. Sometimes he seems to hedge his bets about going all the way back hoping we win the ball and break. He's there to capitalise when we do, whereas lamella is still chasing about our half.

Chadli has been a major success in my view. But he does seem to get under-rated by a lot of Spurs fans. I think there was so much excitement surrounding Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho and Eriksen that the other three (Chiriches, Chadli and Capoue) seemed a little underwhelming and suffered by comparison. During all three pre-season games, the match commentators were guilty of this kind of "overlooking" of Chadli when they spoke about recent signings.

They talked about the seven we signed "with the Bale money"... three already out the door, Soldado pretty much a failure and time running out for Lamela... "only Eriksen", they always say, "has been a real success". Chadli doesn't even get mentioned in the discussion. And yet, he has quietly gone about his business and become one of our most important players (and was - without a doubt - better than Eriksen for long stretches of last season).

What's more - I don't think he cost us very much either!

I think I understand why Chadli is underrated. He can be an effective player - obviously, as his goal return suggests. But he's not an exciting player. Not the type to get fans out of their seats. He has a bit of everything but no particular quality that takes the breath away - like Ginola, for instance; or Bale; or even Lennon. Nor is he one of those talismanic players who earns undying love on account of his wholehearted commitment, work rate and bravery.

Probably the kind of player who will always be more appreciated by managers and team mates than by fans.

I keep hearing Chadli never tries to beat his man, yet every time I watch us play he does that all the time. Pretty sure this 'not tracking back' thing is a bit of a myth as well, gonna have to keep an eye on that from now on.
I think Chadli is actually very good at beating his man one on one.... The tracking back thing unfortunately is not a myth however... although I do wonder whether he is simply playing to Pochettino's instruction with the idea that he stays forward in space to aid us breaking from defence?

I think I understand why Chadli is underrated. He can be an effective player - obviously, as his goal return suggests. But he's not an exciting player. Not the type to get fans out of their seats. He has a bit of everything but no particular quality that takes the breath away - like Ginola, for instance; or Bale; or even Lennon. Nor is he one of those talismanic players who earns undying love on account of his wholehearted commitment, work rate and bravery.

Probably the kind of player who will always be more appreciated by managers and team mates than by fans.

His goal return makes him Effective but as a fan you don't see him and think wow. Count Dempsey was another "boring" player who scored Important goals

I think Chadli is actually very good at beating his man one on one.... The tracking back thing unfortunately is not a myth however... although I do wonder whether he is simply playing to Pochettino's instruction with the idea that he stays forward in space to aid us breaking from defence?

His tracking back is a problem but I'd guess that proportionality we don't concede anymore down that side than the right or the middle

The way he plays he does stay further toward and capitalises on that

It's why I think a 4-3-3- option could work better for us with they width still coming from the full backs but Chadli and Eriksen supporting Kane

Indeed, and those type of players are needed in most teams.

Give me 3 or 4 "boring players" who score 10 plus goals each (providing we dont concede 11 for each of them :()

I love to be entertained but you still need someone to put the ball in the net and its easy for the press an the likes to under value them

Ive read a lot this year about us struggling for goals but we were the first sid to have tow players on 10 or more gaol and the only side with 3

Completely agree. I liken him a bit to Ljungberg who wasn't an overly technically gifted player, but has an eye for goal. I hope he's in the team for many years to come as goalscoring midfielders are incredibly valuable.

Completely agree. I liken him a bit to Ljungberg who wasn't an overly technically gifted player, but has an eye for goal. I hope he's in the team for many years to come as goalscoring midfielders are incredibly valuable.

There aren't many wingers who hit double figures in this league

Saw that Stoke still ahvent signed Shaqiri from Inter. Surprised that we're not interested in him - young and semi-proven is our sweet spot and he'd bring some much needed creativity to our team

Dear Spurs

Please sign at least two wingers / wide forwards

Yours sincerely

Someone who wants to see us do well this season

I am getting concerned that the only winger links at the moment seem to be Mirallas and Moses. I'd take Mirallas for sure (especially if we have another, better winger coming too), but Moses would be very underwhelming.

Let's put it in business terms - failure to sign any fast, tricky wingers this summer will mean teams doubling up on Kane and his goal output diminishing. He will get accused of under performing in the media and fingers will be pointed at various people within the club. He will be linked with a move away to Man Utd or whoever, but this time for £20m instead of £40m. I'd rather spend that extra £20m now on a top class wide forward who actually can change games for us.

This seems like the first summer since 2011 that we have a settled manager with a settled squad and don't look like losing any star players (even then, Modric wanted to leave). We cannot afford to miss this opportunity to build and sign the biggest missing pieces of the jigsaw. Namely - fast players, who can dribble past opponents and drag defenders out of position.

How about Denis Cheryshev? Not sure how he'll be getting into the Real side this year and he's looked half decent whenever I've seen him play...

Oh well who saw this coming? Only every single pundit that's watched us from about March onwards.

There must be 20 or 30 wingers / wide forwards in the league better than what we have at the moment (I'm including Aaron Lennon as part of that 20 or 30).

If only we had the big budgets and the Champions League football that Swansea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leicester, Stoke etc have been able to offer, and had been able to sign players like Ayew, Montero, Wijnaldum, Mahrez and Shaqiri....

Oh well who saw this coming? Only every single pundit that's watched us from about March onwards.

There must be 20 or 30 wingers / wide forwards in the league better than what we have at the moment (I'm including Aaron Lennon as part of that 20 or 30).

If only we had the big budgets and the Champions League football that Swansea, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Leicester, Stoke etc have been able to offer, and had been able to sign players like Ayew, Montero, Wijnaldum, Mahrez and Shaqiri....

Your prayers have been answered: http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/yannick-bolasie.7910/#post-728753

Since 10 years we have debated on here about having dribbly wingers or rotating number 10s or speed merchants.
May it go on forever, with us Spurs fans never fully satisfied. Personally I would like Pele on the left and Maradona on the right, so he can cut inside.

Since 10 years we have debated on here about having dribbly wingers or rotating number 10s or speed merchants.
May it go on forever, with us Spurs fans never fully satisfied. Personally I would like Pele on the left and Maradona on the right, so he can cut inside.
sure but how are you going to fit Ronaldinho into that line up?

Prefer players that are a bit younger and alive personally.

Back