• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

Christian Bneteke was not in the squad when Villa played at White Hart Lane last season.

Benteke didn't play that game at WHL, and nor would he have. He missed about the last 3 months of the season injured. (And actually, he didn't even play in the game against us at Villa Park earlier that season in Oct with AVB, either). Be that as it may, I'd imagine most Prem managers consider him, esp. when on form, a handful whether having actually played a game against him as a manager or not, either via scouting, meetings, from reports, game planning, discussions with other players and managers, from the TV, from just being part of an opposing organization, from being in football in general, or even just his goals scored and physical style of play.

Btw, Sherwood is seemingly now getting credit from surprising sources for his abilities on matchdays? I don't recall much of that at the time, quite the contrary, but I may go back and check some of the OMT threads;) Also, if I didnt like or rate someone, or what they say, not sure I'd spend my time searching and reading their interviews. Then again, I imagine one or two already have a gleeful eye on the Villa forums hoping to cherry pick posts to suit an agenda and proudly display them in here.:)

Last edited:
I wish Tim all the best except when playing us. Liked the bloke tbh. Thought his genuine passion for the job was a refreshing break from the spoilt, control freak before him and the bloke before that whose mind was on everything other than his job in the final 6 months.

Christian Bneteke was not in the squad when Villa played at White Hart Lane last season.

Benteke didn't play that game at WHL, and nor would he have. He missed about the last 3 months of the season injured. (And actually, he didn't even play in the game against us at Villa Park earlier that season in Oct with AVB, either). Be that as it may, I'd imagine most Prem managers consider him, esp. when on form, a handful whether having actually played a game against him as a manager or not, either via scouting, meetings, from reports, game planning, discussions with other players and managers, from the TV, from just being part of an opposing organization, from being in football in general, or even just his goals scored and physical style of play.

Btw, Sherwood is seemingly now getting credit from surprising sources for his abilities on matchdays? I don't recall much of that at the time, quite the contrary, but I may go back and check some of the OMT threads;) Also, if I didnt like or rate someone, or what they say, not sure I'd spend my time searching and reading their interviews. Then again, I imagine one or two already have a gleeful eye on the Villa forums hoping to cherry pick posts to suit an agenda and proudly display them in here.:)

Sherwood is a figure of fun and joy for some; just like AVB, 'Arry and many others who often polarised the fanbase would be. At least two of the last three names listed brought/bring much ridicule upon themselves to the point where you'd wonder if they actually would get quite excited if they knew :)

I'll be wishing Sherwood all the best and hope that Villa avoid relegation.I like him as a person (having met him a couple of times in a professional capacity) Sherwood did an excellent job for us a Technical co-ordinator and along with J McDermott and Chris Ramsey must take some of the credit for the development of the likes of Mason, Kane, Bentaleb etc. He wasn't the right choice to be our permanent manager but some of the vile against him is quite frankly embarrassing.

The common theme here is that anybody who has any sort of link to Arsenal - Graham, Adebayor, Gallas as players/managers - Sherwood (boyhood fan?) or anyone else who has once bought a JVC video player is NEVER accepted at Tottenham despite what they do on the pitch.

First of all, I agree with letting go and wishing him the best. Good luck indeed. And absolutely, he should take a good slice of credit for pushing Bentaleb and Kane into the first team (as should your other examples) although do not cheat Alex Inglethorpe of his massively important seeding here.

Some of the 'bile' you have referred to as embarrassing, however, was IMO absolutely invited by the way the man conducted himself/conducts himself, in the press. Look, I appreciate that not everyone can keep counsel and do all their dirty laundry behind closed doors, but I'd like to think that anyone managing our mighty club could try. Even Martin Jol, who was FAR from an angel, kept things behind closed doors; it is why I PERSONALLY will ALWAYS give him huge round of applause and respect, because he respected that thin but vital line. Not Sherwood for me. Sorry. But again, good luck to him...as long as he doesn't start quoting things referring to us, he gets my best wishes for a successful career, I'd have no reason whatsoever to wish him otherwise. I hope Villa are ready to deal with his mode of operation though; Lambert never used the press to do his bidding in any fashion close to that which Sherwood has proven he does. I don't think Lerner will like that...

As to your second point, I think it is absolutely a transition treated with superstition. I remember the day my respect for Tony 'Donkey' Adams went skyrocketing; it was when he told GGG that he did not want to join him as an assistant because it was 'Tottenham'. To me he was right. Stay away. It would selling out of the highest order. GGG only took the job to fix the goons off, he used us. Adebayor? I personally wish him the best and am sad it couldn't work out...Gallas? I was against him arriving but knew we needed that type, and became a quick supporter of his, an advocate even. So i don't think your theory holds strictly true. Too neat and tidy mate, there are exceptions IMO.

Good lord, who has the time for all that?!!!!!!

No need to do that matey, we're all clear on your viewpoint! ;);):)

seriously though, my hope is that everything will settle down and the geezer does his job and we carry on following our club and not his...I do, however, fear that in so many ways (not the least this forum) Timbo is the new Harry. I can't claim any high ground, here I am in the mix of this thread, though I hope to extrapolate myself from it soon...

According to the BBC Sherwood says he is now the "Headmaster"..

...I guess this is promotion from his role at Spurs when he was apparently a "supply teacher"

It's ok as it will only be banter

New Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood says he is now the 'headmaster,' adding he will be brutally honest if his players fail to perform

According to the BBC Sherwood says he is now the "Headmaster"..

...I guess this is promotion from his role at Spurs when he was apparently a "supply teacher"

I mean...you try and give a bloke a break, and then he spouts utter 'soundbite-brick' like THAT! Tosser! He's like a shouty David Brent!

I mean...you try and give a bloke a break, and then he spouts utter 'soundbite-crude' like THAT! Tosser! He's like a shouty David Brent!
David Brent is a very accurate description.

Brent was a bit more competent than Captain Bellend though.

Some of the 'bile' you have referred to as embarrassing, however, was IMO absolutely invited by the way the man conducted himself/conducts himself, in the press. Look, I appreciate that not everyone can keep counsel and do all their dirty laundry behind closed doors, but I'd like to think that anyone managing our mighty club could try. Even Martin Jol, who was FAR from an angel, kept things behind closed doors; it is why I PERSONALLY will ALWAYS give him huge round of applause and respect, because he respected that thin but vital line. Not Sherwood for me. Sorry. But again, good luck to him...as long as he doesn't start quoting things referring to us, he gets my best wishes for a successful career, I'd have no reason whatsoever to wish him otherwise. I hope Villa are ready to deal with his mode of operation though; Lambert never used the press to do his bidding in any fashion close to that which Sherwood has proven he does. I don't think Lerner will like that...

This.
It doesn't matter one bit whether he was good at bringing through youth, whether he got Ade playing again or even what tactics he used on a match day, it should have, but they way he went about the job was embarrassing and turned a lot of us against him.
I get that some fans are all about the results but for me I want to have pride in our club, I want someone who puts the club ahead of their ego. For me, I couldn't handle a Mourinho and all his nonsense, I couldn't handle a Fat Sam telling the world he should be managing Real Madrid or an LVG moaning about hectic fixtures lists and handing out long ball statistics to the media or Wenger pretending he didn't see one of their players dive for the hundredth time. It's nice to have a manager who just gets on with the job so we can all come on here and discuss players and our games and not have to worry about what Sherwood has said in his latest interview.

This.
It doesn't matter one bit whether he was good at bringing through youth, whether he got Ade playing again or even what tactics he used on a match day, it should have, but they way he went about the job was embarrassing and turned a lot of us against him.
I get that some fans are all about the results but for me I want to have pride in our club, I want someone who puts the club ahead of their ego. For me, I couldn't handle a Mourinho and all his nonsense, I couldn't handle a Fat Sam telling the world he should be managing Real Madrid or an LVG moaning about hectic fixtures lists and handing out long ball statistics to the media or Wenger pretending he didn't see one of their players dive for the hundredth time. It's nice to have a manager who just gets on with the job so we can all come on here and discuss players and our games and not have to worry about what Sherwood has said in his latest interview.

On the money. It might not be said any better, or fairer, than this in the lifespan of this thread.
It is frankly why even if Poch wasn't getting anywhere he would have earned an extra year from me right now. The man conducts himself with dignity, and treats the Tottenham Hotspur manager's chair with respect.

I'll be wishing Sherwood all the best and hope that Villa avoid relegation.I like him as a person (having met him a couple of times in a professional capacity) Sherwood did an excellent job for us a Technical co-ordinator and along with J McDermott and Chris Ramsey must take some of the credit for the development of the likes of Mason, Kane, Bentaleb etc. He wasn't the right choice to be our permanent manager but some of the vile against him is quite frankly embarrassing.

The common theme here is that anybody who has any sort of link to Arsenal - Graham, Adebayor, Gallas as players/managers - Sherwood (boyhood fan?) or anyone else who has once bought a JVC video player is NEVER accepted at Tottenham despite what they do on the pitch.

I've never met Sherwood in person. But the way he conducted himself while our manager, as outlined excellently by Steff and dingdongo, left a very sour taste in my mouth. I have to be honest, his antics (shifting responsibility all the time, divisive doomed for failure blame the players type of mentality, the whole gilet rubbish, the up/down from the stand farce, and generally most of the stuff that came out of his mouth) made me basically go off Spurs for the back end of last season. I barely even watched a game. It was not like that for me even back in the day when we were midtable rubbish under Graham, Pleat, the latter days of GHOd's reign etc!

He seems like a bit of a poor man's version of 'Arry at his worst, I think. But I could at least respect 'Arry for the footballing job he did with us - so fair enough. Tim?? He done alright. Built it around Ade and made us 'entertaining' in an extremely chaotic, ill-disciplined kind of way, able to beat most teams as we had better players. But the reality is we lost to just about any team who had a bit of organisation and quality. I was there at Anfield watching that 4-0 game, which was as bad a performance from THFC as I have ever seen.

Now that's what it is. He didn't have much time and he had a tough situation to come in. But Sherwood rubs me and people up the wrong way by then proceeding to turn into Captain Rent-a-Quote about this situation - banging on about his win percentage (conveniently ignoring the high lose percentage), slagging off our players in the media (Vertonghen springs to mind), yada yada yada.

Anyway. I don't have uber hate for the guy. I think there's potential in him as a manager, but I think he has too big a gob and too big an opinion of himself. He brings most of the problems on himself if you ask me. I don't think his Arsenal link caused his problems at Spurs- it was his CONDUCT which did for him for most Spurs fans. Not all - I do agree that for a minority of Spurs fans an ex-Arsenal past will forever be a problem.

But I think most Spurs fans will give ex-Gooners their due - Billy G ended up being a well respected Spurs player, because he was great for us. Adebayor was the same, while we had Mk1. Soon as he reverted to Mk2 - more problems. As for Gooner Graham... he was just a bad fit for THFC. Never going to be accepted as his football was the worst I probably have ever seen.

At the very least, Sherwood's reign as Villa manager is going to be entertaining, guaranteed. But probably not that entertaining for Villa fans lol.

I've not disagreed with anything Sherwood's said - essentially his narrative is that football is a simple game and that all good teams need to match the desire of the opponents and then quality will take you to the next step. I don't think anyone could argue with that?

In a time when most managers do nothing else other than follow the company line and concern themselves with 'the brand' it was refreshing to hear Sherwood tell the idiots that they were idiots. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing your team get thumped without giving a brick and then hearing the manager give the usual drivel and scripted nonsense. Sherwood never named an individual player in any of his interviews. Quite frankly the malaise that the end of last season descended into was the players fault and not Sherwood's. He was at least as susceptible as AVB but at least it was relatively entertaining to watch us play under Sherwood as the goals per game evidenced.

I agree that it often appeared that there was no real plan in place and therefore i dont think he was good enough for a team who had aspirations to mix it with the big boys. Pochettino, so far, has achieved significantly more.

football is a simple game and that all good teams need to match the desire of the opponents and then quality will take you to the next step. I don't think anyone could argue with that

I argue with that, I don't think its a simple game at all, I think a sound tactical plan (allied with desire and hard work) can level the playing field when there is a clear gap in quality

I mean...you try and give a bloke a break, and then he spouts utter 'soundbite-crude' like THAT! Tosser! He's like a shouty David Brent!

So you thought when you said 'clean slate' a few posts back that he would suddenly shut up? Or were you just laying the groundwork for 'I tried to give him a break'? You knew he was likely at some point to yap something, right?

Thats what he does. Sherwood yaps. He mouths off. He says stupid stuff at times. He can make himself look a fool. He is immature at times. He lacks business acumen and PR skills. He isn't the best 'front man' or image for a club. Media and press love it, and will pursue and provoke it. He's a quote. It sells. It gets a response (like in here, though some hate the media). Many times I've thought 'Tim, shut up FFS!'. But, he is unlikely to change. Tough concept for some to grasp, but thats the way he is. People wanting him to be somebody else are likely to be disappointed. He is what he is. I think we agree on all that, right Steff?

However, different people then choose how they react to it (if at all) and pursue it. For me, its not that important what he says. Especially now. I know how he is and so I keep a perspective. Maybe part of that is because I for one knew how he was before he even became our manager. So it wasn't that surprising to me. I knew about him when he was a player. I knew people who socialized with him and I got some feedback. What I'm saying is, I think we mostly agree on the content or the source thereof. The reaction variance with different people, which can be huge at times, comes thereafter.

Last edited:
So you thought when you said 'clean slate' a few posts back that he would suddenly shut up? Or were you just laying the groundwork for 'I tried to give him a break'? You knew he was likely at some point to yap something, right?

Thats what he does. Sherwood yaps. He mouths off. He says stupid stuff at times. He can make himself look a fool. He is immature at times. He lacks business acumen and PR skills. He isn't the best 'front man' or image for a club. Media and press love it, and will pursue and provoke it. He's a quote. Many times I've thought 'Tim, shut up FFS!'. But, he is unlikely to change. Tough concept for some to grasp, but thats the way he is. People wanting him to be somebody else are likely to be disappointed. He is what he is. I think we agree on all that, right Steff?

However, different people then choose how they react to it (if at all) and pursue it. For me, its not that important what he says. Especially now. I know how he is and so I keep a perspective. Maybe part of that is because I for one knew how he was before he even became our manager. So it wasn't that surprising to me. I knew about him when he was a player. I knew people who socialized with him and I got some feedback. What I'm saying is, I think we mostly agree on the content or the source. The variance with different people comes thereafter.
What about those who know he was a cvnt when he was a player too?

What about those who know he was a cvnt when he was a player too?

What about them? As I said, I myself knew about him as a player, and I got some feedback from some who socialized with him. A few of those said he could be a cvnt at times. So I was aware of it back then, as were others. But, what's your point?

Back