• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the Tim Sherwood man love thread

More likely that his gagging order has not expired yet

But hasn't he already spoken publicly about the particulars of him having his contract terminated?

I'm sure there is more that he could fling at the club but as we're doing well he is keeping shtum

But hasn't he already spoken publicly about the particulars of him having his contract terminated?

I'm sure there is more that he could fling at the club but as we're doing well he is keeping shtum
I'm pretty sure he's talked about his contract and its end too.

If he is on a gagging order I'm fairly sure it's been broken.

90% of Sherwood's problem is his media handling imo. It's the main reason I'm glad he's not here, it would just make us even more of a circus than usual. Results/performance wise, he probably did enough to keep his job. It was just all the rest of the antics.

Poch is a breath of fresh air (so far) from Redknapp, AVB, Sherwood -- no sh1t talking or undermining the players (even ones he doesn't like), he just keeps everyone on side and gets on with the job.

90% of Sherwood's problem is his media handling imo. It's the main reason I'm glad he's not here, it would just make us even more of a circus than usual. Results/performance wise, he probably did enough to keep his job. It was just all the rest of the antics.

Poch is a breath of fresh air (so far) from Redknapp, AVB, Sherwood -- no sh1t talking or undermining the players (even ones he doesn't like), he just keeps everyone on side and gets on with the job.

Great isn't it...

I was in the stand the where the tunnel comes out, block c so level with the edge of the penalty area at the other end from the Blackburn fans

how about you?

hang on a minute...

are you Tim?

Haha, I was waiting for that. No I'm not Tim :) Charlton are local to me so went to my first game there, how poor were they though? Shocking!!! I thought it was a nice little ground though and can generate something of an atmosphere when there are given something to cheer, you can hear them in Charlton park which is a fair bit away.

All in all wasn't bad.... Well actually the football was awful... But for £10 you can't really complain to much.

Did you find out what Tim was doing there?

Going to go again try to find him, then grass you and scara up ;)

I was in the same stand higher up alaigned with the center circle.

yeah it was my first time at Charlton as well, my mate has a season ticket so we've been talking about a game there for a while, he's been to spurs a few times so it's only fair, and as you say a tenner in you can't complain

I agree, nice little ground but an awful team, they don't have any footballers really, I thought church was their best player but you could see he wasn't fit

I didn't speak to Sherwood, would have been a bit two faced to be all nicey nicey after the things I've written about him (he looked pretty grumpy too), I guess he was just watching as he wasn't near the directors area for either club, he was with an older guy who I didn't recognize (could have been his dad for all I know) but he was in the lounge at half time, could have been a guest for either club I suppose or maybe a guest of one of the players, he must have friends all over football

Norwich job up for grabs again.

Come on Tim, you're in danger of having a CV filled mainly with interviews for previous experience

He has apparently done a piece with Greg Stobart that will be out later this week.

Oohhh I can't wait!!:popcorn:

I wonder if we can have a guess at what the piece will be about. Ok i'll go first:

1) How Harry Kane is benefitting from him giving him his debut and Spurs should be grateful to him (ie Tim)
2) How Soldado is not fit to lace Kane's shoes and that he tried to tell the club this before he was signed but AVB and Baldini didn't listen
3) Ditto Capoue and Benaleb
4) the problem for home-grown players like Kane and Bentaleb is the same as the problem he's facing: clubs are too in love with foreign names and think they are too sexy compared to their English counterparts

I don't really get why sherwood is getting linked to everything that comes up on the manager merry-go-round, he had a brief caretaker gig which was satisfactory and that's it, why isn't someone like Eddie Howe being talked up to gigs like WBA etc

He is getting linked because the media link him and hell do they love managers that give them a soundbite every five minutes. Getting him a job right now is i'd say high on there agenda. They don't care about his actual ability, they care that he is willing to throw people under the bus.

Oohhh I can't wait!!:popcorn:

I wonder if we can have a guess at what the piece will be about. Ok i'll go first:

1) How Harry Kane is benefitting from him giving him his debut and Spurs should be grateful to him (ie Tim)
2) How Soldado is not fit to lace Kane's shoes and that he tried to tell the club this before he was signed but AVB and Baldini didn't listen
3) Ditto Capoue and Benaleb
4) the problem for home-grown players like Kane and Bentaleb is the same as the problem he's facing: clubs are too in love with foreign names and think they are too sexy compared to their English counterparts

First installment is on Bentaleb: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2015/01/09/7794322/why-bentaleb-not-yaya-toure-is-the-premier-leagues-biggest

On one side his record at Spurs was decent

On the other the club had invested hard on the squad

On another, he must be a plonker if he can't get a job somewhere

A little bit of trumpet blowing but overall I I can't dance with his assessment of the player. He is certainly correct in that Bentaleb won't be sold any time soon, and I think he also is right that he will be captain of this club one day. Whatever Sherwood's mistakes bringing Bentaleb into the first team was not one of them.

Tim Sherwood column: For Jermain Defoe goals are everything - that's just what Sunderland need

It struck me last February that Jermain Defoe had left the Premier League too early, and his return to Sunderland comes as no surprise given the quantity of goals he has scored over his career. Gus Poyet needs goals to make sure Sunderland stay in the division, so he has turned to a man with 124 of them in his Premier League career so far.

On more than one occasion when I was at Tottenham Hotspur over the years I heard the criticism, “Jermain does nothing on the pitch besides score goals”. It is one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard in football but there really were people who believed that it was not enough for him to justify his place at the club.

By the time I was in charge at Spurs, Jermain was struggling with injuries and his place in the team was taken by Emmanuel Adebayor, who was on a great run of form. But when Jermain was fit he would always be on the bench and he scored in his penultimate game, against Crystal Palace, his last goal at White Hart Lane. The players carried him off shoulder-high after he played his last match for the club against Everton in February.

If he plays today at Spurs, I am sure the reception for him will be excellent, although every home fan will be worried that Jermain will do what they have seen him do so many times before: score a goal from nothing.

His strengths were those of an old-fashioned poacher. We used to have so many of them in the game – Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Gary Lineker, Ian Rush, Clive Allen – although these days you see fewer of them. For Jermain, the goals were everything. I am sure that he would always say in public that he did not mind who scored as long as the team won but you needed only to look at his demeanour when he came off the pitch not having got one himself. It bothered him.

Jermain has the basics of a great striker: strength, pace and two good feet. One of his chief skills was being able to work an opportunity on the edge of the area. He had sharp feet which would allow him to steal a yard on a defender and get a shot away with minimal back-lift. It was all done in the blink of an eye and his best goals were in the net before the goalkeeper had time to react. He has been doing it for a long time, too: he was just 18 when he began that great goalscoring run on loan at Bournemouth.

Jermain’s record for Toronto FC in Canada looked pretty good, which suggests he has lost none of his sharpness. I would also say that going to a club in the north for the first time in his career means that he is out of his usual London comfort zone. It would suggest that he has a real eagerness to play. There are not many strikers of his age getting three-year deals either, a sign of his quality.

He replaces Jozy Altidore, a striker for whom it has not worked out in the Premier League. He has scored just once in the league for Sunderland, although previously his record was excellent for AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands. It just goes to show that making a judgement on how players from that league will perform in England is very difficult. For every Ruud van Nistelrooy or Luis Suarez, you can get the likes of Ricky van Wolfswinkel or Altidore who just struggle to adapt. It is not just the Eredivisie, either.

I have scouted a lot of players in the Netherlands, and other European nations, and the style is so different to the Premier League that it is hard to satisfy yourself that the individual you are watching will be able to do it in England. With Sunderland’s survival in the Premier League by no means a given, it is telling that Gus has turned to a striker whom he has worked with before and whom he knows can score goals in the Premier League. In his situation, the fewer risks he takes, the better.

Clubs soon learn after letting a star’s contract run down

Once a player reaches the last six months of his contract, like Danny Ings or Winston Reid, you can be certain that they will not be re-signing with their club. They reach that stage for a variety of reasons but you tend to find that once a club loses one valuable player that way, it does not happen again. I was in the Tottenham dressing room when Sol Campbell left for Arsenal in 2001, probably the most infamous free agent move of them all.

Sol had not been offered the deal he wanted early enough in his contract negotiations and gradually time ran out for Spurs without them taking the initiative. By the time they made an offer, his mind was made up to go. It caused outrage among the Tottenham fans but in the dressing room it was different. Footballers are pragmatic. Team-mates are there one day and gone the next. The club will get rid of you if they need to, and the rule of thumb is to make sure you look after yourself. The only loyal people in the game are the fans.

By and large, footballers care most about whether they are in the team or not. They don’t try to influence the things they cannot control. Sol didn’t exactly advertise the fact he was going to join Arsenal, so we never discussed it with him. Funnily enough, as the controversy outside raged about Sol and what he had done, I am not sure the players ever really discussed it. Spurs never forgot the lesson, though, and they certainly never made the same mistake with a player’s contract again.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/tim-sherwood-column-for-jermain-defoe-goals-are-everything--thats-just-what-sunderland-need-9984507.html

Back