• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Stats Thread

4tbqttuprdua1.png

So, we conceeded 63 goals in 38 PL games this season, which adds up to 1,66 goals per game. I had a look back to see when we last had such a disastrously poor defensive record.

It was the last time we got relegated, in 1976/77, when we let in 72 goals in 42 matches.

Before that, it was 71 in 42 in 1964/65 and 81 in 42 in 1963/64.

We also conceeded more goals per game in five seasons in the 1950s, two seasons in the 1930s, four seasons in the 1920s and three more seasons before that again.

So basically this season was our worst defensive display in 46 years, our 9th worst since WW2 and our 23rd worst defensive record in club history.

Incidentally this was also our worst defensive record from a 38 game season since before WW1 - when we conceeded 90 goals in the 1914/15 season.

All stats courtesy of Wikipedia.

So, we conceeded 63 goals in 38 PL games this season, which adds up to 1,66 goals per game. I had a look back to see when we last had such a disastrously poor defensive record.

It was the last time we got relegated, in 1976/77, when we let in 72 goals in 42 matches.

Before that, it was 71 in 42 in 1964/65 and 81 in 42 in 1963/64.

We also conceeded more goals per game in five seasons in the 1950s, two seasons in the 1930s, four seasons in the 1920s and three more seasons before that again.

So basically this season was our worst defensive display in 46 years, our 9th worst since WW2 and our 23rd worst defensive record in club history.

Incidentally this was also our worst defensive record from a 38 game season since before WW1 - when we conceeded 90 goals in the 1914/15 season.

All stats courtesy of Wikipedia.

Well, I guess the upside is we know what the problem is

1 top level CB and a new #1 GK would make a huge difference

Well, I guess the upside is we know what the problem is

1 top level CB and a new #1 GK would make a huge difference
It's not just the defenders though.
We play 3 up top but don't press.
Then 2 in midfield who are swamped.
So our back 5 are constantly under pressure and collapse in most games.
I agree we need better CB and GK.

It's not just the defenders though.
We play 3 up top but don't press.
Then 2 in midfield who are swamped.
So our back 5 are constantly under pressure and collapse in most games.
I agree we need better CB and GK.
We try to play it out from the back with a keeper that can't pass and defenders that aren't comfortable on the ball. It ends up that we lose the ball too often before it gets to the forwards.
A proper ball-playing keeper and CBs that can pass under pressure that allows us to retain the ball will go a long way to reducing that pressure.

We try to play it out from the back with a keeper that can't pass and defenders that aren't comfortable on the ball. It ends up that we lose the ball too often before it gets to the forwards.
A proper ball-playing keeper and CBs that can pass under pressure that allows us to retain the ball will go a long way to reducing that pressure.
A midfield who can press too will help
Bentacur frequently pushed on allowing the attack to do so too

A midfield who can press too will help
Bentacur frequently pushed on allowing the attack to do so too
We need another player of his ilk in the squad, whether it's to play with him or as an alternative when he's out of form or injured.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

I do worry VDV might not have the same impact when he's back as Romero won't be around, It will be a new partner either Davies or a new signing etc.

I suppose it couldn't be worse at the back though. GHod I hope we get a CB in early

Back