• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Shard

Dinner itself as a date is crap anyways.

But if it worked for KD then good on ya mate.

I have realised now after eating at some great places that actually whilst the food is ok bordering on good - no food is worth 150-200 quid unless its a really special occasion.

Dinner itself as a date is crap anyways.

But if it worked for KD then good on ya mate.

I have realised now after eating at some great places that actually whilst the food is ok bordering on good - no food is worth 150-200 quid unless its a really special occasion.

That's simply not true. You must have been overpaying at a lot of crap restaurants to come to that conclusion.

Try eating HERE - it will change your mind. As will THIS PLACE - but if you really want to push the boat out, try HERE.

Those places will completely change how you think about food.

No offence mate but taking someone out on a first date for a few drinks followed by a £200 meal is mugs behaviour, you don't deserve any action after a manoeuvre like that :)

Tried to book oblix up but they don't take reservations via email and told me to ring up although they had checked and a table was available by the window overlooking the river at the time and date I wanted. Utterly pointless that they will do all that but not the actual booking.

Yeh I know now dude, it got me sex a few times but thats it! Plus one of the ladies I went with for that month after just made me pay for everything!

My gf, as she is known now, doesnt expect to have everything paid for and we didnt go to Sushi Samba on the first date but I still might take her there.

Yeh I know now dude, it got me sex a few times but thats it! Plus one of the ladies I went with for that month after just made me pay for everything!

My gf, as she is known now, doesnt expect to have everything paid for and we didnt go to Sushi Samba on the first date but I still might take her there.

If the girl expects me to pay after the 3rd date, i wouldn't meet her again. I don't mind paying but if there isn't even an offer put forward to pay...well that's that.

Spending a lot on a first date can sometimes backfire.

When my wife and I went on our first date, I took her to a very good italian restaurant. She spent the whole meal drinking water and eating little more than salad type things - I thought that was just how she managed to keep in such good shape. Turns out she expected to have to pay for half the meal and, being a student, couldn't nearly afford anything else on the menu. Obviously I'd never dream of not offering to pay in full, but I probably should have made that clearer at the start!

If the girl expects me to pay after the 3rd date, i wouldn't meet her again. I don't mind paying but if there isn't even an offer put forward to pay...well that's that.

Yep, I should have been like that. There wasnt even the offer and usually I am the same, if they offer I will still pay.

One date, it was All Bar One, Sushi Samba drinks and she then booked a table at Goucho. During the meal at Goucho she said we can go halves, so I was like ok thats cool. She kept ordering single glasses of these pretty expensive wines and at the end said "you're the man you should pay for this". **** face here pays for it doesnt he. Never saw her again but I'm glad. It was still a £200 first date though.

When my wife and I went on our first date, I took her to a very good italian restaurant. She spent the whole meal drinking water and eating little more than salad type things - I thought that was just how she managed to keep in such good shape. Turns out she expected to have to pay for half the meal and, being a student, couldn't nearly afford anything else on the menu. Obviously I'd never dream of not offering to pay in full, but I probably should have made that clearer at the start!

You see that's a nice story. If women cant afford where I take them then I will gladly pay but the girl I mention in the post above, after it all went tits up and she didnt want to see me again, I accused her of using me for a nice night out, and her reply was to say she has loads of money! Women nowadays can just date for free and do this quite easily for years.

Haha, bless her, you've got a goodun there!

I have to say, I think paying for extravagant meals for girls you've just met is a terrible idea, as GGG has found the hard way, you either end up with a girl who expects you to keep this sort of behaviour up regularly (gold digger) or your essentially paying for sex (hooker) or you get nothing at the end of it apart from a big dent in the wallet (bitch). You're much better off going to KFC and telling her she's got to pay half :) at least you'll know she's there for you and nothing else!

Haha, bless her, you've got a goodun there!

I have to say, I think paying for extravagant meals for girls you've just met is a terrible idea, as GGG has found the hard way, you either end up with a girl who expects you to keep this sort of behaviour up regularly (gold digger) or your essentially paying for sex (hooker) or you get nothing at the end of it apart from a big dent in the wallet (bitch). You're much better off going to KFC and telling her she's got to pay half :) at least you'll know she's there for you and nothing else!

I had a quick think a few weeks ago (it hurt) and I came to the conclusion that last year I spent between £3000 to £4000 on dates. :eek:

I had a quick think a few weeks ago (it hurt) and I came to the conclusion that last year I spent between £3000 to £4000 on dates. :eek:

**** a brick. I don't think I've spent that on dates my entire life. Not because I haven't been out with anyone, just because I deliberately do the opposite to what you've been doing. Weed out the **** girls by doing something cheap. My first date with the wife we went to a local gastro pub, when the bill was put on the table I started looking round the pub as if I hadn't seen it, then started nudging it towards her whilst looking around, when she went to pick it up I grabbed it and went "Oh for f**ks sake I suppose I'm paying am I" in a mock outrage kind of thing, put the 30 or 40 quid down and we left. I find it much more fun to be like that and if she sits their looking shocked that I haven't paid immediately then I know she's not for me.

I wish it was like that. But they would probably think I was actually moody and cause a massive scene! Maybe I was too easy and ultimately a bit Robbie Keane.

But after being used by about 5 or so ladies I thought fcuk it and my gf got the wrath, even though I do pay for most things. But the first date was locally, and cost about £14. Second was a meal ok £60ish but we then went to a club and she bought some drinks which I thought was pretty decent. Third date was Bruno Mars haha.

Last year though I took around 5 or 6 different ladies to Sushi Samba and those nights were £150/200 minimum. Thats £1000 already. Some of those were 3,4,5 dates more and I took them to nice places for meals. Absolutely ridiculous bearing in mind I had about 20 (guess) different dates last year.

That's simply not true. You must have been overpaying at a lot of crap restaurants to come to that conclusion.

Try eating HERE - it will change your mind. As will THIS PLACE - but if you really want to push the boat out, try HERE.

Those places will completely change how you think about food.

Never been to those places as such but Ive eaten in nice places - amazingly nice places globally. Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, New York, California amongst others and it seems that restaurants in other countries offer much better quality at a lesser price. I should have stated that no food in the UK is worth that amount as thats my experience.

The only dinner I can say was worth the money was the fat duck - Hestons and that was about 600 quid with wine - but it was more an experience that you paid for rather than the food - although the food was creative and unique.

Places like Aqua Kyoto where you pay 200 odd quid for a few bits of crap sushi etc is what I meant by not worth the money. You pay for the pretentiousness unfortunately.

I wish it was like that. But they would probably think I was actually moody and cause a massive scene! Maybe I was too easy and ultimately a bit Robbie Keane.

But after being used by about 5 or so ladies I thought fcuk it and my gf got the wrath, even though I do pay for most things. But the first date was locally, and cost about £14. Second was a meal ok £60ish but we then went to a club and she bought some drinks which I thought was pretty decent. Third date was Bruno Mars haha.

Last year though I took around 5 or 6 different ladies to Sushi Samba and those nights were £150/200 minimum. Thats £1000 already. Some of those were 3,4,5 dates more and I took them to nice places for meals. Absolutely ridiculous bearing in mind I had about 20 (guess) different dates last year.

haha - mate sorry but thats funny. what the ****. haha.

Get a tastecard 50% off in some nice places, take a girl out there and youll end up spending 60 quid and youll go to places you dont and wouldnt normally go to.

Never been to those places as such but Ive eaten in nice places - amazingly nice places globally. Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, New York, California amongst others and it seems that restaurants in other countries offer much better quality at a lesser price. I should have stated that no food in the UK is worth that amount as thats my experience.

The only dinner I can say was worth the money was the fat duck - Hestons and that was about 600 quid with wine - but it was more an experience that you paid for rather than the food - although the food was creative and unique.

Places like Aqua Kyoto where you pay 200 odd quid for a few bits of crap sushi etc is what I meant by not worth the money. You pay for the pretentiousness unfortunately.

A lot of that's true - Raymond Blanc's place near Bicester (Le Manoir) is much better value. Only problem is, it's in the middle of nowhere so you can't drink (or you'll spend a fortune staying in his lovely but overpriced rooms). There is a Travellodge or something similar nearby that I stayed at once when I was there - just make sure the taxi driver doesn't know where you're going until you've left!

Ramsay at Claridges used to be good value after he lost his star but I believe it's closed now. Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester is good value by UK standards, but would be at least £20 a head cheaper in France. The biggest problem is the wine - there's not much point in spending £100 each on food if you're having slop with it. That can easily double the price of a meal. You could easily spend about £10K in most good restaurants on a bottle without even looking to the bottom of the wine list.

I know you're an old money bags Scara but I think that's a bit excessive even for you :-" ;)

I've never spent more on wine than food - I love wine, but I can't bring myself to do that! I also don't have a lot of money, I just have different priorities to everyone else.

Taking that last sentence into account, I was eating at the Grand Vefour a few years ago when I overheard part of the conversation on the table behind me. They were speaking English, but the couple speaking were French and one of them said something like;

".....So we had so many people around for dinner, and they all drank so much wine that we ran out of everything good. It was too late to have someone bring more around so we had to go to the cellar and open the Petrus - it was nearly 100 years old...."

W.T.F? How can someone just open a (probably more than) £20K bottle of wine because the other stuff they have left isn't good enough?

Back