• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The reason we will play Europa League football next season....

You dont think that is a bit sad?

i should be more upset at finishing one place lower in the league than not winning a European trophy?

the only instance i can imagine myself feeling truly gutted about a league position would be missing out on the title or getting relegated. 5th instead of 4th ? boo fudging hoo :~

Swansea will play in the europa cup next season and laudrup has said numerous times down here on how he's going to play it and if you remember we played getafe in jol's last game for us back in 2007 and they beat us and guess who was manager then for getafe .....laudrup.

He's stated they way to play the competition is by having a squad of 23/24 where everyone plays a part ,its not having a team of 11 for a premier league then another team of 11 for the europa comp its having a squad that competes in both competition ,it won't be a stop start all the time. If you look at chelsea thats how they did it,benetez didn't 'rest' many players he just used his squad .

i think its a british mentality that we keep banging on that playing thursday/sunday affects our performances,it shouldn't and by stressing that everyone will play a part it should be no problem.

Notice how AVB never ever mentions tiredness or fatigue. He believes its largely psycological and is made much worse by putting the idea in people's head.

i was more gutted seeing Chelsea lift that trophy on Wednesday than i was walking away from White Hart Lane on Sunday.

I was more gutted at seeing Wigan win the FA cup than Chelsea winning the Europa. I'm desperate for us to win that FA cup again. 6 semi final defeats in 20 years is excruciating!

You got to wonder if its sky and their pundits and commentators who keep raising the issue of tiredness because they like to downgrade the europa cup all the time because they don't want to show any of the games so raising the profile of the champs league which they pump their gums about all the time.

the fight for fourth place.....champs league places....as if its something to be proud of,a trophy to win.

Again its only in this country we look down on this competition, in europe its on equal par in its prestige in winning.

Swansea will play in the europa cup next season and laudrup has said numerous times down here on how he's going to play it and if you remember we played getafe in jol's last game for us back in 2007 and they beat us and guess who was manager then for getafe .....laudrup.

He's stated they way to play the competition is by having a squad of 23/24 where everyone plays a part ,its not having a team of 11 for a premier league then another team of 11 for the europa comp its having a squad that competes in both competition ,it won't be a stop start all the time. If you look at chelsea thats how they did it,benetez didn't 'rest' many players he just used his squad .

i think its a british mentality that we keep banging on that playing thursday/sunday affects our performances,it shouldn't and by stressing that everyone will play a part it should be no problem.

=D>

The whole CL dropout thing makes a mockery of the competition. Can you really blame teams for not taking it seriously when UEFA don't?

Personally, I'd rather win it or get knocked out in the group stage rather than getting to the semis and draining the players energy.

I absolutely agree with this.

It's the one thing which devalues the competition IMO, the fact that UEFA treat it as a dumping ground for CL losers...

@david_conn: Borussia Dortmund's 2011-12 wage bill of £68m would have been 8th highest in Premier League, just under #avfc (£134m less than #mcfc).

@david_conn: Borussia Dortmund's 2011-12 wage bill of £68m would have been 8th highest in Premier League, just under #avfc (£134m less than #mcfc).

Do any of you feel that Levy should take some blame for us finishing 5th this season? I think he's done a great job off the field with the new training facilities and he keeps the club in good shape but when it comes to spending big money on players as ive said on this form before he always wants to balance the books and never goes that extra mile imo. I think it goes back to when we bought Bentley and Bent and since then he's shyed away. When Comolli was in charge of transfers we had more of a budget and identified players, i just wonder how the system works now? Who's our new chief scout now?

I feel that with Defoe's injurys and Adebayor's form it was so clear we needed that extra striker in Jan and we farted around with leandro damiao, and who knows if he wanted or didnt want to come. We could have signed someone like Nagredo from Sevilla instead or there were other options and he choose to hold out til the last minute again and we lost out. This approach needs to change! Its obvious that the money's there because twice now in the summer we failed with an 18 mill bid for Mourtino and then in Jan there was the last min 15 mill bid for Diamao so why not get a deal done in the first week of summer or January for once DL..

January was a massive let down and i felt from then it would be an uphill struggle to get in the top 4 with our current squad. Levy's a bit too conservative in his approach with transfers, and had we bought 1 or 2 players we would have had the squad to go further in the Europa and also we'd have probably made the top 4 and therefore we wouldnt have to worry about Bale possibly leaving this summer..

You look at Chelsea and they have the squad to play 70 games, come 3rd and win the Europa.

Just my two pence worth!

Last edited:
I have never understood this Thursday/Sunday is bad thing (other than the fact it means you are playing EL instead of CL). When we were in the CL we played Wednesday/Saturday, which gives the same rest time as Thursday/Sunday..

You look at Chelsea and Roman can probably afford our squad 70 times over.

How can we go the extra mile? What if we already are, or at least close to?

Before anyone start with the Moutinho bids, it is my opinion that we might be able to afford one special player, but we wouldn't be able to spend again for a few windows unless we sell someone for a decent fee.

Do any of you feel that Levy should take some blame for us finishing 5th this season? I think he's done a great job off the field with the new training facities and he keeps the club in good shape but when it comes to spending money on players as ive said on this form before he always wants to balance the books and never goes that extra mile imo. I think it goes back to when we bought Bentley and Bent and since then he's shyed away.

I feel that with Defoe's injurys and Adebayor's form it was so clear we needed that extra striker in Jan and we farted around with Diamao, and who knows if he wanted or didnt want to come. We could have signed someone like Navaro from sevilla instead or there were other options and he choose to hold out til the last minute again and we lost out. This approach needs to change!

January was a massive let down and i felt from then it would be an uphill struggle to get in the top 4. Levy's a bit too conservative in his approach with transfers, and had we bought 1 or 2 players we would have had the squad to go further in the Europa and also we'd have probably made the top 4 and therefore we wouldnt have to worry about Bale possibly leaving this summmer..

You look at Chelsea and they have the squad to play 70 games.

Just my two pence worth!

Levy's habit of doing lots of our summer transfer dealings right at the end of August could have had something to do with our poor start to this season when we picked up only 2 points from our first 3 games (something the Europa League definitely can't be blamed for!)... as Dembele, Lloris, Adebayor and Dempsey were all signed after the Premier League campaign was already under way but had they done a proper pre-season with AVB and been able to start the first 3 games then maybe we wouldn't have conceded those late goals against Newcatle, WBA and Norwich which cost us 5 precious points...

Levy's habit of doing lots of our summer transfer dealings right at the end of August could have had something to do with our poor start to this season when we picked up only 2 points from our first 3 games (something the Europa League definitely can't be blamed for!)... as Dembele, Lloris, Adebayor and Dempsey were all signed after the Premier League campaign was already under way but had they done a proper pre-season with AVB and been able to start the first 3 games then maybe we wouldn't have conceded those late goals against Newcatle, WBA and Norwich which cost us 5 precious points...

Had Levy not haggled to the end we may never had afforded them and been stuck with Parker, Friedel, Defoe and Livermore for the whole season.

Am not convinced that AVB did not say to Levy 'unless you bring me Damiao don't buy anyone; I can get us 4th'...
If this is what happened, he might be smarting with all the talk about Levy 'not backing his manager again'...

I have never understood this Thursday/Sunday is bad thing (other than the fact it means you are playing EL instead of CL). When we were in the CL we played Wednesday/Saturday, which gives the same rest time as Thursday/Sunday..

Because the premier league plays most of its games on Saturday unlike the other leagues in Europe. It means you're always playing catch up to your rivals.

Had Levy not haggled to the end we may never had afforded them and been stuck with Parker, Friedel, Defoe and Livermore for the whole season.

This is the standard response whenever someone questions Levy's transfer policy. Is there any evidence that we would do a Leeds if he changed the way he did business? He has always operated in this manner, even before we had the stadium to pay for. Sometimes it's worth paying extra and getting the deal done sooner if its the difference between top 4 and no top 4. No guarantee we would have got 4th with Moutinho or Leandro, but our chances would have increased surely?

This is the standard response whenever someone questions Levy's transfer policy. Is there any evidence that we would do a Leeds if he changed the way he did business? He has always operated in this manner, even before we had the stadium to pay for. Sometimes it's worth paying extra and getting the deal done sooner if its the difference between top 4 and no top 4. No guarantee we would have got 4th with Moutinho or Leandro, but our chances would have increased surely?

And yours is the standard response whenever anyone defends Levy about the way he conducts business.

He didn't say we would do a Leeds, just that our funds in a short term might not have covered some of the purchases that we did make. Our chances would probably have increased, however then people would just have battered Levy about not signing someone else that could have helped us to win the League. With our financial position we should be challenging for top four, we are.

I don't quite understand this myth that Levy is sitting on cash and not using it. He's our chairman. He wants us to succeed so his investment will be worth more. It is nonsensical to assume he's doing anything other than his best to further our cause.

I think quite a number of people are forgetting the factor that was required prior to most of our purchases last season. It was the sale of Modric. We couldn't force Real Madrid to meet our selling price early on, so it was always going to drag on until late in the window.

im hoping now that levy/lewis have had their year of 'see how it goes' with AVB,they weren't going to give him a bucket load of cash if avb had fecked up big style but he he hasn't,again like harry who should have been supported i hope they push a boat out a bit and give him the main players he needs. We don't need a mass of players but give AVB the ones he needs at least.

Back