• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The reason we will play Europa League football next season....

This is the standard response whenever someone questions Levy's transfer policy. Is there any evidence that we would do a Leeds if he changed the way he did business? He has always operated in this manner, even before we had the stadium to pay for. Sometimes it's worth paying extra and getting the deal done sooner if its the difference between top 4 and no top 4. No guarantee we would have got 4th with Moutinho or Leandro, but our chances would have increased surely?

That wasn't quite my point, but I'll answer yours anyway.

As far as I know, every club that has borrowed to pay for player transfers/wages has struggled financially in the long term. I can't think of one single club that spent beyond their means and recouped that in the future through success.

Look at the top 4 - there are clearly two methods of 'success':

1) Slow, organic growth with a solid youth production line and expanding sales through success
2) Turn on cheat mode

I don't want the latter and according to most polls on here, neither do the vast majority of Spurs fans. We're doing the former, we're just 10 years behind the other two who are.

That wasn't quite my point, but I'll answer yours anyway.

As far as I know, every club that has borrowed to pay for player transfers/wages has struggled financially in the long term. I can't think of one single club that spent beyond their means and recouped that in the future through success.

Look at the top 4 - there are clearly two methods of 'success':

1) Slow, organic growth with a solid youth production line and expanding sales through success
2) Turn on cheat mode

I don't want the latter and according to most polls on here, neither do the vast majority of Spurs fans. We're doing the former, we're just 10 years behind the other two who are.

Spot on. People consistently fail to understand what Spurs are up against. Its fueled by the equally clueless media.

At the end of the day when Levy/ENIC took over, Spurs were consistently bottom-midtable/relegation-threatened side.

After 10 years of their stewardship we are now seen as annual top-4 chasers.

We have finished in the top 5 more often than not since Jol's first full season back in 05/06.

We have finished in the top 4 twice and have played Champions League football once.

Champions League football. You know when i first started watching Spurs in the early 90s, seeing our name mentioned as being part of this competition would have felt like a dream-world that didn't exist.

The way people on here talk about it, it's now considered a complete failure ever since our ONE AND ONLY appearance in it when we fail to qualify, despite the resources of our rivals and the fact that Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal & even Liverpool have far more history of qualifying for this competition that we do. Infact even Emirates Marketing Project have now qualified for the CL more times than we have - no surprise given their current resources.

The fact we even got within a point of getting there and it went down to the last day is incredible really when you think about it.

People said that Arse lost RVP so we should have competed better, but we lost Modric, who was widely regarded as our best player. They strengthend with one of Germany's top scorers, one of the top-scorers in French football and Cazorla, who is absolute quality. They also signed Monreal in January when full-back positions were a glaring weakpoint for them.

We bought well as well, but not at the same quality level as they did in terms of out-field players (Lloris was quality). Yes, Verts worked out to be world-class but he didn't have the proven experience in a top league that Arsenal's signings did.

And yours is the standard response whenever anyone defends Levy about the way he conducts business.

He didn't say we would do a Leeds, just that our funds in a short term might not have covered some of the purchases that we did make. Our chances would probably have increased, however then people would just have battered Levy about not signing someone else that could have helped us to win the League. With our financial position we should be challenging for top four, we are.

I don't quite understand this myth that Levy is sitting on cash and not using it. He's our chairman. He wants us to succeed so his investment will be worth more. It is nonsensical to assume he's doing anything other than his best to further our cause.

I think quite a number of people are forgetting the factor that was required prior to most of our purchases last season. It was the sale of Modric. We couldn't force Real Madrid to meet our selling price early on, so it was always going to drag on until late in the window.

I've never said he sits on cash, that may be some other peoples issue with him, but not me. Just that sometimes, it would be better to pay a little bit extra and get the deal done, or move on to other targets. I like to think I'm realistic, I don't expect him to do this every time we buy someone.

I've never said he sits on cash, that may be some other peoples issue with him, but not me. Just that sometimes, it would be better to pay a little bit extra and get the deal done, or move on to other targets. I like to think I'm realistic, I don't expect him to do this every time we buy someone.

Like he did with Vertonghen and Sig last summer you mean. He's done this before as well, Sandro and Modric were both signed very early (although Sandro arrived later) just from memory, probably more in there too.

Like he did with Vertonghen and Sig last summer you mean. He's done this before as well, Sandro and Modric were both signed very early (although Sandro arrived later) just from memory, probably more in there too.

And what about the Moutinho and Leandro deals? I'd say the first one was one the major reasons we didn't get 4th place.

should have sold Modric earlier for less money whilst also buying Mouthino earlier for more :-k

Ok let's never question Levy, he's always right.

Just read that again, I'm starting to sound like ArcspacE.

You've just been beaten with logic though, of course you can question him but it has to make sense. You have to argue a realistic reason as to why he spends more on some deals and not others.

Is he incompetent? Does he not know what he is doing? Or does he not want the club to succeed? If you can offer up any other reason then more power to you, but those two are the only ones I can possibly think of that would make sense.

And yet, he clearly isn't incompetent. He does know what he is doing and we have no idea the specifics of the Moutinho or Leandro deals. As for wanting the club to succeed, it's pretty safe to assume he does so you will struggle to answer either point.

You've just been beaten with logic though, of course you can question him but it has to make sense. You have to argue a realistic reason as to why he spends more on some deals and not others.

Is he incompetent? Does he not know what he is doing? Or does he not want the club to succeed? If you can offer up any other reason then more power to you, but those two are the only ones I can possibly think of that would make sense.

And yet, he clearly isn't incompetent. He does know what he is doing and we have no idea the specifics of the Moutinho or Leandro deals. As for wanting the club to succeed, it's pretty safe to assume he does so you will struggle to answer either point.

Look, it's obvious he wants what is best for the club either because he's in it for the long term, or ENIC want to sell the club after the stadium is built, either way, the richer we are, it's a win win.

I'm suggesting that sometimes he makes mistakes in certain deals. Is he one of the best chairmen in English football? Of course, but I won't agree with every decision he makes just because of his track record.

You're speculating. We simply do not know how difficult it is to get third-party deals such as Moutinho and Damiao's done. I suspect it's a nightmare unless you're Emirates Marketing Project/Chelski and can afford to sunk the extra 5-10 million without it denting your world...I just hope that whatever tack he's taking with his policy, business is concluded by early July to allow a full pre-season...

You're speculating. We simply do not know how difficult it is to get third-party deals such as Moutinho and Damiao's done. I suspect it's a nightmare unless you're Emirates Marketing Project/Chelski and can afford to sunk the extra 5-10 million without it denting your world...I just hope that whatever tack he's taking with his policy, business is concluded by early July to allow a full pre-season...

Completely agree

Look, it's obvious he wants what is best for the club either because he's in it for the long term, or ENIC want to sell the club after the stadium is built, either way, the richer we are, it's a win win.

I'm suggesting that sometimes he makes mistakes in certain deals. Is he one of the best chairmen in English football? Of course, but I won't agree with every decision he makes just because of his track record.

But again, I feel fairly confident in saying that he knew full well the risks that are involved in not signing Moutinho for example, that it may significantly weaken the new coaches' prospects because of missing out on his key player, in his head he's definitely thinking 'brick, if we don't tie this up Arsenal have got a better chance of getting ahead of us' but even then, he still has to consider the other side of the deal, and we probably just couldn't quite get it to work for us. I feel completely confident that if the deal was right for the club and was possible, we would have done it. And I trust that Levy knows what is right for the club, I just couldn't go calling certain deals mistakes because I have no idea what kind of constraints we were facing.

But we couldn't buy a replacement for Modric until we'd sold Modric.

If only we had a war chest like ARSEnal who bought in Giroud and Podolski months before RvP left and made sure that he had gone to ManU before the season had started, in contrast to when we sold Berbatov to ManU on deadline day and bought Pavlyuchenko only a couple of days prior plus Frazier Campbell on loan...

Of course the Gooners have paid off for their new stadium plus have £30m a year extra income courtesy of the CL whilst Levy is still trying to repair the damage done to our club by SirAlan' incompetent chairmanship, so hopefully we will be on a similarly strong financial footing in the not too distant future thus allowing AVB to have his entire squad assembled before pre-season [-o<

Back