• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The race for 86 points

I think we should just stop talking about the title. It's a distant dream. However, I do think Chelsea will drop more points, but not enough for us (or anyone else) to catch them.
Of the 9 remaining games, I think we'll Win 6, draw 2 and lose 1, getting 20 points, leaving us with 82 points. Chelsea then only need 14 points of the remaining 9 games, which they should manage. I think they'll take 17-19 and end on 86-88 points.
Whilst the title is almost certainly beyond our reach this season, I think that what Pochettino said in the press conference yesterday is spot on.

So even if/when it becomes mathematically impossible to catch Chavski, the players mustn't switch off mentally; like they did at the end of last season.

But it does give all the doom mongers the chance to trot out "Tottenham always bottle it" mantra and deflect from the failings of some popular giants who they had tipped as title challengers at the start of the season.

And do not forget the favourite saying of those doom mongers when we do get poor results " S P U R S Y" no wonder other teams laugh at our fans for using it.

Last edited:
Whilst the title is almost certainly beyond our reach this season, I think that what Pochettino said in the press conference yesterday is spot on.

So even if/when it becomes mathematically impossible to catch Chavski, the players mustn't switch off mentally; like they did at the end of last season.
I get the feeling that heads will roll if we end up throwing away 2nd place again. And not just because of Dier's HULK SMASH tackling.

Most definately. Like Poch says; Always believe. But It should not be a disappointment if we can't catch them, as it's not in our hands. It's theirs to lose.

You know, I think the game they just lost v Palace was the first league game since they changed to the 343 system where Chelsea had to make a change to the back 6 (Moses was out). 1 game where they had to make 1 defensive change and they lost.

Its very unlikely we can win the title but we should just keep pressing and see where it leads us. It is not beyond the realms of likelihood that we could be 2 points behind them by the time they kick off at Dean Court on Saturday evening. It is all about asking them questions and making them answer them. If they keep coming up with the answers then fair enough, you can't argue with that but every time we take three points to put pressure on them, the more we are causing it to be too difficult to be pegged back by those behind us with games running out. It will also work in our favour if we can get a little closer to them by the time we play the Semi Final, it will be on their mind and a concern that we could be a thorn in their side in both competitions.

But it does give all the doom mongers the chance to trot out "Tottenham always bottle it" mantra and deflect from the failings of some popular giants who they had tipped as title challengers at the start of the season.
I think Spurs fans as a whole will be more pragmatic this time out (except for a few complete bellends ). The chances of winning are slim at best and we all know it. The realistic target is 2nd, as it was last year. Last year we mentally checked out after Chelsea and bottled 2nd place, not 1st. This year dropping out of the top 4 might be construed as bottling it but if the media label us as bottlers for not winning the title then that is just a false narrative they are pushing for clicks or sales, nothing more.

Just looked at BBC pundits picks for top 4 at start of season out of 33 only 1 chose us to win league, Chris Waddle, Jermaine Jenas had us as 2nd and 3 had us in top 4. Only 3 selected Chelsea to win it and the rest were split between City and United, with no one picking Liverpool or Woolwich

I'm not sure what I want from this game between Chelsea and City. City winning would hopefully cause Chelsea to wobble, but ultimately won't see them finishing second. On the other hand, a win for Chelsea would knock City well and truly out of their stride and make our hunt for 2nd/3rd infinitely easier.

If we beat Swansea and Chelsea beat City, then we would have a 7 point lead over them, 8 over Arsenal (assuming they win their game in hand) and 6 on UTD (assuming they win their game in hand). This is w/o mentionning the fact that Arsenal and UTD will drop more point's at some stage as they have to play eachother.

I'm not sure what I want from this game between Chelsea and City. City winning would hopefully cause Chelsea to wobble, but ultimately won't see them finishing second. On the other hand, a win for Chelsea would knock City well and truly out of their stride and make our hunt for 2nd/3rd infinitely easier.

If we beat Swansea and Chelsea beat City, then we would have a 7 point lead over them, 8 over Arsenal (assuming they win their game in hand) and 6 on UTD (assuming they win their game in hand). This is w/o mentionning the fact that Arsenal and UTD will drop more point's at some stage as they have to play eachother.

A point a piece. City will be 6 behind us then if we win tonight with 8 games left. They still have to play United, WBA and Southampton but their other fixtures are likely to be fairly straightforward. That 6 point cushion back to them could make all the difference and it also leaves us 5 behind Chelsea with a chance to reduce to 2 points on Saturday morning. Definitely a point a piece is the best result for us.

I think that this thread should be renamed 'the fight for the Double'. We are going to win the double, absolutely no doubt in my mind. Sissko to score a cup final winner against the Arse in the 93rd minute.

Ha ha. If you're going to enjoy a little peyote with your bovril, go all the way.

I would have turned those last two numbers around. Give us all the second half to properly fret.

A point a piece. City will be 6 behind us then if we win tomorrow night with 8 games left. They still have to play United, WBA and Southampton but their other fixtures are likely to be fairly straightforward. That 6 point cushion back to them could make all the difference and it also leaves us 5 behind Chelsea with a chance to reduce to 2 points on Saturday morning. Definitely a point a piece is the best result for us.
FIFY ;)

Thats a nice little buffer built up right now. 8pts (and better GD) clear of 5th place, level games.

Just need to avoid defeat in both home games v Arsenal and United which would mean at worst, 7pts clear of 5th, with 7 other matches to play. That would put us within sniffing distance of CL football. In fact it could pan out, a draw v United could secure 4th on that day

Meanwhile, the BBC say "Koeman's top four assessment"

Everton manager Ronald Koeman made an interesting observation after his side's 1-1 draw at Manchester United last night.

The result came just three days after Everton were comprehensively beaten by Liverpool, who are now favourites to claim a top four spot at United's expense and a place in next season's Champions League.

Koeman, it seems, finds Jose Mourinho's team far easier to play against than Jurgen Klopp's.

"Manchester United play a different way to Liverpool," he said.

"They have a different system, with different pressing. I feel more comfortable with that than the way Liverpool press.

"United are strong United. They have individual qualities. But it isn’t pressing, pressing, pressing from the start. You get more time and you have more ball possession."

Curiously, no mention of 2nd place team. #undertheradar #BBCspursblind ?

Nor any mention of 4th placed Emirates Marketing Project.

Info - Everton last played Chelsea in November

Unlike last year, it makes a nice change to be playing before the team we are chasing - to have the chance to put pressure on them.

A few Monday night matches for Chelsea would go down very nicely.

Back