• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Power of Expectation

Yes, but we didn't, and it's not. So why are we expecting results right now as if we have. That's my point.

You said yourself, 'we haven't had a hard start, we won all those games under Harry', yet above you've acknowledged that we haven't replaced the players Harry has adequately (i.e didn't sign players who are already developed, or signed others before selling Bale etc).

So why do you expect Poch to be able to obtain the same results as Harry did right now?

when have I said we should?

my comment about our fixtures was a prediction of doom on how I expect things to get worse, it was partly a reply to the preceding post about Southampton

I dont "expect" poch to do much with this squad as I don't think it's very good, even Jose would struggle to get anything out of em

I expect the club going forward to start behaving like a proper football club and sort out the obvious recruitment issues (maybe baldini has done this already), I also hope that levy recognises the situation we are in and throws some money at it in January, that's very much not an expectation though as we've never really done that before

in these transient manager times I'm not sure the current manager has time (or any inclination) to think that far ahead, it's the boards job (or a dof if you have one) to be doing that

we know from the vdv deal that levy was doing his own thing for the first team when arry was here, I'd assume he was doing the same with Dev players as we still picked a few up

well that clearly wasn't the case as we weren't buying up young players, with the exception of of Sandro and Naughton - neither of which is clear where the interest came from (Harry or Levy)

as a criticism of Levy it's up there with the ones i agree with the most - he should have had someone at the club to carry on the focus of signing potential WC players as it has set us back now that those players signed before Redknapp was here have gone on to better things.

but the likelihood is, if we had continued to buy players that Redknapp didn't want at the expense of those he did posters would have been complaining that he wasn't being backed.

when have I said we should?

my comment about our fixtures was a prediction of doom on how I expect things to get worse, it was partly a reply to the preceding post about Southampton

I dont "expect" poch to do much with this squad as I don't think it's very good, even Jose would struggle to get anything out of em

I expect the club going forward to start behaving like a proper football club and sort out the obvious recruitment issues (maybe baldini has done this already), I also hope that levy recognises the situation we are in and throws some money at it in January, that's very much not an expectation though as we've never really done that before

January 2009.

Our current situation is not bad at all. What should happen is that Poch comes up with a few names to actively try and sell. Anyone brought in should either go straight into the first XI (expensive) or be young talents.

If sando, hud, Dawson, Livermore et al are all such great players how did then end up where they are? If chadli, Soldado and Lamella are not any better then our manager/s must be a genius, as we will finish above the clubs that our "better" players.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

well that clearly wasn't the case as we weren't buying up young players, with the exception of of Sandro and Naughton - neither of which is clear where the interest came from (Harry or Levy)

as a criticism of Levy it's up there with the ones i agree with the most - he should have had someone at the club to carry on the focus of signing potential WC players as it has set us back now that those players signed before Redknapp was here have gone on to better things.

but the likelihood is, if we had continued to buy players that Redknapp didn't want at the expense of those he did posters would have been complaining that he wasn't being backed.

I was thinking more of the youth/academy players we took on, someone must have been handling that

it's not a case of players Harry didn't want, it's players that were not yet relevant to the first team anyway

well that's a different subject entirely really and i wouldn't say it's having much of an effect on the team in this moment - in fact we're probably on the cusp of having the most productive academy we've ever had with 3 players currently in and around the first team - certainly not something that can be cause for complaint.

the reason we aren't as good as we were during Redknapps time is the lack of Bale/Modric level players - take that level of player out of his squads and i think we'd compare quite favorably overall. so the key difference for me is that we haven't got players stepping up to that level 2 or 3 seasons after signing them and that's because we weren't signing those types of players for the first team squad for a good long period (because we were buying experienced players instead, as per what the manager at the time wanted)

why did what take this long?

building the academy up or signing potential WC players?

our academy is currently the best it's ever been and you're complaining it wasn't improved quick enough? is that a serious complaint?? :lol:

no other manager of ours has benefited from our academy the way they will start doing so from now on and the work which went in to getting to this level took years and years and cost millions of pound - im not really sure how this can be used as ammo against the board.

nor am i sure how the academy relates to how good our squad is now compared to a few years ago. Ive outlined why i think the squad/team isn't as good as when Redknapp was here - do you disagree with any of that?

apologies, i must have missed what it was that you're saying then - do you mind repeating? i can't work it out from the previous posts im afraid

i agree the squad isn't as good as under Harry as we have neglected to recruit a genuine game changer, and I think it's fair to criticise the board for that

apologies, i must have missed what it was that you're saying then - do you mind repeating? i can't work it out from the previous posts im afraid

if ENIC's plan to compete is producing top quality players of our own through the academy then after 12/13 years work shouldn't there be more to show for it by now

what do you think of the reason i put forward as to why? our previous top level players came in to the club at a time when they were more potential than current ability - we went through a 4 year period where we stopped signing players like this and have since started back along this path with signings like Eriksen and Lamela, my guess is we shall continue to buy players of this ilk in the coming seasons

what did you mean by this post?

my complaint is why did it take this long?

if ENIC's plan to compete is producing top quality players of our own through the academy then after 12/13 years work shouldn't there be more to show for it by now

the initial concern when they arrived was getting us at the right end of the table - this obviously took priority. i don't think it's their plan for it to get us competing as such, more that a productive academy can only be of benefit to the club, long term. to get us competing it will take more than just a good academy - class of '92s don't come around too often after all...

I agree, the fact we stopped signing potential is a very valid criticism, one of ENIC's biggest **** ups, I'm not sure that blame can be shifted elsewhere for this?

I don't see the 2 being mutually exclusive, you can do both at once

even the class of 92, as good as it was, was still built on a framework of established purchased talent

I agree, the fact we stopped signing potential is a very valid criticism, one of ENIC's biggest **** ups, I'm not sure that blame can be shifted elsewhere for this?

I don't see the 2 being mutually exclusive, you can do both at once

caught between a rock and a hard place - Redknapp didn't want a DoF and his transfer targets were at the other end of the scale. something had to give and seeing as Redknapp and his experienced signings helped bring about a successful period for the club it's hard to say we should have done it differently. unfortunately there was always likely to be a bit of fall out when he moved on.

do you agree we're back on the track of signing potential top quality players who will develop here over a year or two?

Back