• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Power of Expectation

no, I expected we'd be more effective with the same players solely because we had got a proper head coach in

the mistake is mine, where I had assumed the problem was Sherwood it turns out it might actually be the players, hence my recent downgrading of expectation

and as I've said ad finitum, I have no issue with poch, this isn't his mess, he's not the target of my frustration

Fair enough, my original post wasn't aimed at people like you who have an issue with DL, it was more those who seem to be starting to think about putting the wheels in motion on a 'Poch isn't good enough campaign'. It sounds like we are on the same page with Poch.

I don't know that it is as big a 'mess' as you say though, and again I think patience and time is the answer on that one. It's unfortunate that we didn't as you said, sign replacements for Bale etc before Bale actually left so they would be ready to step up, but we didn't (whether that is down to DL or not is probably for the Daniel Levy thread), so I think as fans, we have to tailor our expectations of Poch accordingly (which fair enough, you have done, some haven't).

it's all relative, compared to 15 years ago we are in rude health, it's a mess compared to 3/4 years ago

in modern football it's a ratchet action though, every click forward is the new base line, the PL is a what have you done for me lately league

it's all relative, compared to 15 years ago we are in rude health, it's a mess compared to 3/4 years ago

in modern football it's a ratchet action though, every click forward is the new base line, the PL is a what have you done for me lately league

Agreed. The expectation for a lot of fans seems to always be to push on or at least repeat from last season's performances and results.

Regression to the mean is a bitch though.

it is when it only seems to effect us

It doesn't though, you look at Fergie keeping an under invested squad up competing for honours then bang with a mere mortal in charge they've had to invest millions to try and get out of unstable.

Liverpool punched above their financial weight last season thanks to Suarez. This season it's back to reality with a bang

Roughly, our team for the 2010 - 2011 season was pretty much; Gomes, Hutton, Dawson, King, Benny, Bale, Modric, Sandro, Lennon VDV, Crouch. Unless I've missed anyone blindingly obvious which is entirely possible.

In that team you had King, Bale, Modric and VDV who were world class at that time. Only VDV was bought already world class and performed in his first season. The rest were absolutely not world class when Redknapp took over in 2008 or when they were initially bought if they weren't here at that time.

They developed into world class players and 2010 - 2012 was when it really all came together. Why did it all come together? Becuase as I said in the original post, Redknapp was given time and he was given a by-ball in his first season due to the lower expectations as he started with 2 points from 8 games. He was able to work out in the first season what was needed then build and mould a team around it.

The way I see it, Poch is in the same position as Harry when he first took over,but the expectations placed upon him are inherintly higher because of where we finished last year. To me this is unfair, and I would hate to see him not given the opportunity to build something similar or better than Redknapp did due to unrealistic expectations putting unneccessary pressure on him and the players too early.

So of course it looks a mess compared to three four years ago when we had a team that the same manager had worked with for four years and been able to mould some decent players, some very good players and some world class players into a functioning unit. I'd like to see a comparison of Poch after four years at the club, whether he gets the time for that is a different story.

Roughly, our team for the 2010 - 2011 season was pretty much; Gomes, Hutton, Dawson, King, Benny, Bale, Modric, Sandro, Lennon VDV, Crouch. Unless I've missed anyone blindingly obvious which is entirely possible.

In that team you had King, Bale, Modric and VDV who were world class at that time. Only VDV was bought already world class and performed in his first season. The rest were absolutely not world class when Redknapp took over in 2008 or when they were initially bought if they weren't here at that time.

They developed into world class players and 2010 - 2012 was when it really all came together. Why did it all come together? Becuase as I said in the original post, Redknapp was given time and he was given a by-ball in his first season due to the lower expectations as he started with 2 points from 8 games. He was able to work out in the first season what was needed then build and mould a team around it.

The way I see it, Poch is in the same position as Harry when he first took over,but the expectations placed upon him are inherintly higher because of where we finished last year. To me this is unfair, and I would hate to see him not given the opportunity to build something similar or better than Redknapp did due to unrealistic expectations putting unneccessary pressure on him and the players too early.

So of course it looks a mess compared to three four years ago when we had a team that the same manager had worked with for four years and been able to mould some decent players, some very good players and some world class players into a functioning unit. I'd like to see a comparison of Poch after four years at the club, whether he gets the time for that is a different story.

True!

We've also gone through a pretty solid generational gap since then with aging squad players being replaced by younger players in addition to the world class (or close to) players that we've lost.

we should finish up to all lower profile teams and take any chance of under performance of any higher profile one, that`s should be simply our expectation.
I will not Poch as many of our players are not doing well, not even their normal.

the only thing I can not understand is why POch does n`t give a real chance to some players, for instance Kane, Daves, Fazio& Stambouli.

Back