• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The ones that got away

milo

Jack L. Jones
We've been linked with every player under the sun over the years, received letters from world cup winners, had players stolen from under our nose by our closest rival and passed on Zidane for being too wooden.

Who was the biggest one who got away and how would they have made a big difference to our team at the time?

Bergkamp...he begged us to sign him... Big Al, in his wisdom, went off about foreigners (still stung by Klinsmann, who he then had to grovel back during the Gross era to save us)...

Bergkamp...he begged us to sign him... Big Al, in his wisdom, went off about foreigners (still stung by Klinsmann, who he then had to grovel back during the Gross era to save us)...

We lost out on Petit to them the following season too IIRC

Another one that got away was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I remember United accepted a £5m bid from us and he came to watch us vs Spammers at home where we lost 0-1. Shortly after he rejected the move but at the time he was exactly what we needed.

I have a vague memory that we were close to getting Van Persie for a couple of million the season before Arsenal got him. I'd never heard of him so wasn't that excited, although obviously a few years later it was obvious what we could've had!

I have a vague memory that we were close to getting Van Persie for a couple of million the season before Arsenal got him. I'd never heard of him so wasn't that excited, although obviously a few years later it was obvious what we could've had!

Yep we declared our interest (after Gooners tbf) but he chose them.

We're we close to signing Torres? If my memory serves me right we were and that was back when he was World class. Moutinho can be added as can Enzo Scifo.

Pretty sure we were in for RVP early on. I was so confident of signing him I edited my Fifa squads to put him in.

Didn't the Arse screw us over with Petit by nicking him at the airport and driving him to Highbury when he was on his way to see us?

Zidane was to come as a pair with Dugarry. Dugarry we were happy with, Zidane was "too wooden".

Dare I say the biggest one, Abramovich? We'd probably have won the league if Levy did a deal.

A player we had in our Academy but only made one first team appearance for us....

A1305.jpg

...how much better would Tottenham have been with Graeme Souness in the team from the early-70s onwards?

Make you want to cry!

Back