• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Agree with you pretty much apart from Cleverly, don't understand the hype with that one at all. Would rather have Livermore in there

Apparently Carrick ruled himself out as he wanted to guaranteed a starting place.

Explains why he hasn't been included - although he would be one of my first names on the team sheet.

Unless there is a direct quote from Carrick, I don't buy that, I personally think he is a c*#t, but he's never been enough of an England regular to make those kind of demands.

He plays for Manchester United therefore he must be good. Are you questioning Fergie? What about Welbeck, Crawling and Jones? Oh wait . . .

Althogh Cleverly would turn out to be the best footballer out of that lot, imv - purely based on potential at this point

Agree with you pretty much apart from Cleverly, don't understand the hype with that one at all. Would rather have Livermore in there

Cleverley's just in there for versatility, much like Milner. He's played across the midfield for United, so he could do much the same for England. Tidy player, if not much else.

Livermore should be in there, I agree but he hasn't been capped yet, so it wouldn't have been realistic to expect England fans to immediately take to an unknown, relatively unheralded player in the squad.

Well, not much of a problem to fit him in, is it? Hodgson will most likely play a double pivot of Parker and Barry just in front of the centre-backs, to regain possession and keep the ball moving. respectively. The 'regain possession' part is fine, but Gareth Barry as a deep-lying playmaker? It hasn't worked for England, and likely never will. So why not let Carrick play there? He's got top level experience, and, even now, is both a fantastic reader of the game and a great passer on his day. So give him a starting spot, it's not like that England squad has anyone better in the role. Sigh.

I seem to be in the minority but I really like Shane Long. He plays a lot bigger than his size and he is a good finisher. If I were Ireland manager I think I would play a 4-3-3 because the central midfield is a disaster anyway and Keane always does a decent job tracking back. Then you can use the strength of the squad which is clearly in strikers.

Mate, the way I read that is he would have offered Carrick one of the standby roles (i.e. Henderson's spot), and if I was Carrick, I would have said fudge off ..

Roy quote "I'd have to be convinced he was better than the four [central midfielders] I've selected" really Roy?

Yes, I know

Better than Gerrard who's done sfa this season? Give over, Roy

Johnson and Downing ? Henderson on stand-by ?

No Richards and no Lennon ? No Michael Carrick ?

#-o

The Johnson one is partially excusable in my mind given that Richards has been inconsistent before. However Downing and Henderson are completely inexcusbale. The more I think about them the more baffling they are. GHod knows what Henderson is meant to be able to bring to the squad

The Johnson one is partially excusable in my mind given that Richards has been inconsistent before. However Downing and Henderson are completely inexcusbale. The more I think about them the more baffling they are. GHod knows what Henderson is meant to be able to bring to the squad

What makes that squad truely a disaster is not when you look at the individual decisions, it's the all up calls, e.g.

- Downing/Carroll/Henderson, picking one of them, maybe, all 3 from a Pool side (plus Gerrard) that have had a dire season? wtf?
- Sturridge/Lennon/Richards, again, maybe arguements for one or other, but the impact on the overall pace of the game that the 3 bring?
- Terry/Gerrard/Lampard/Cole, old phalanx, value of 1, maybe 2, not 4 of them.

A lot of the decisions are like that, it seems like Roy has no strategy other than "reward the people who helped England get to Euros" (as if playing for England wasn't enough of a reward), and pick players from Pool

I believe it's organisation and industry that hodgson is looking for. Strong centre and opportunistic attack. Boring England of the eighties it looks like. What seems to be the safest option ... May instead be the worst option given the opposition .

It's a shame really, but for injuries, we probably have 5 or 6 players that could realistically consider themselves in with a shout, and may well have been, had Harry got the job (and been fit of course!)

King, Dawson, Walker, Huddlestone, Lennon, Defoe, maybe even Livermore??

Carrick proving what a lazy cnut he is....he doesnt want to be selected if he is to be a squad player????? how about going in there and proving yourself worthy by working your nuts off in training mate?

just like at United, he loves sitting back and spraying the odd pass about to make it look like he is doing something, never breaking out in a sweat, whilst all the other mugs work their socks off and bust a gut to win 3 points. Its funny that it was the return of Scholes, 37 year old Scholes, that led to the Utd title charge. If it was left to carrick to take charge United wouldnt even get close to winning key midfield battles.

he couldnt care less about representing England. Stay at home mate and have fun with your wife and kids

I believe it's organisation and industry that hodgson is looking for. Strong centre and opportunistic attack. Boring England of the eighties it looks like. What seems to be the safest option ... May instead be the worst option given the opposition .

It is exactly what Hogson went for, a team he can try to get organized, work hard (see his PL clubs except Pool)

The problem is, England isn't going to get to even the SF anyway, so why wimper out with a set of 0-0 draws and 0-2 losses? at least try to entertain and give younger players experience that England can use for the next WC.

It's a shame really, but for injuries, we probably have 5 or 6 players that could realistically consider themselves in with a shout, and may well have been, had Harry got the job (and been fit of course!)

King, Dawson, Walker, Huddlestone, Lennon, Defoe, maybe even Livermore??

We should be happy, keep them away from the circus and negative backlash England is sure to get, plus actually get some rest time.

Back