• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official EURO 2012 thread

Who will win Euro 2012?

• Spain

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Germany

Votes: 54 55.1%
  • Holland

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • France

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Croatia

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ukraine

• Other

• Total voters
Jordan Henderson on the stand by list ?!?!?!

wtf

France, Sweden and the Hosts ? be lucky to get a point !

Obviously the English team selection doesn't mean a huge amount to a Paddy like myself, but viewed objectively (even without my Spurs-tinted glasses) the failure to select Lennon is bloody ridiculous. 15 minutes to go and England need a goal to qualify from the group, who are you going to bring on... Lennon? Or Downing? Hell, I'd pick Lennon above Young, Walcott and Ox-Chamb.

Also, no Sturridge, no Carrick? Madness. I'd even take Crouch ahead of Carroll as the target man (and I don't rate Crouch).

I think England will qualify to the latter stages (thanks to having a relatively easy group), but I can't see them getting beyond the first knockout round.

Ireland, of course, are extremely unlikely to escape their group (Spain, Italy and Croatia? No chance) and while I wouldn't be Trapattoni's biggest fan, at least he's not likely to bring four or five players who shouldn't even be in the standby list; never mind the squad. That said, Seamus Coleman should be in the squad and not on standby, but that's just one mistake.

i guess the downing over lennon thing is because downing is left footed so will provide more natural width on the left rather than cutting in all the time, the only problem with that is that DOWNING IS A MASSIVE BAG OF TOSS toss!

i'd have personally built my team around Grant Holt, and taken a crazy gang of choppers and workhorses. we're not gonna outplay europes best so we might as well go route one whilst seeing how many opposition players we can injure in the process, but like the dutch in the world cup final against the spanish but more extreme. that would be far more entertaining than the usual dross we have to go through!

A pretty poor selection if you ask me, especially the choices in midfield. How the hell did Downing and Milner get in there? Downing has been useless all season, and Milner has hardly been playing. When Milner does play he is at best average in nine out of ten games. I guess he is picked because he can be average in several positions.

Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn't shown enough for me to be in there. Had a bright spell earlier in the season, but seems to have gone off the boil again. Not sure about Walcott either. For me, Lennon should have been there, and also Adam Johnson. Don't get me started on Jordan Henderson as one of the stand-ins. That is a complete and utter joke.

Michael Carrick left out as usual. One of the few English midfielders with a continental style of play, suited to international football. I think he and Scott Parker could have been a good partnership in central midfield. Parker breaking things up. Carrick starting the attacks. Gerrard or Lampard then ahead of them, supporting the attack.

Glen Johnson at right back will also be a problem I reckon. I suppose Kyle is injured. At least I hope that is the reason for him begin left out. Maybe Jones will play there. Would be better than Johnson defensively at least.

I also think Terry shoudl be nowhere near the squad for the obvious reasons, and Rio should have been in.

The strikers chosen I do agree with. Carroll can be useful I think. It's good to have someone with his aerial ability in the squad. He has also looked sharp lately and is more mobile than Crouch. Defoe can always pop up with a goal when given teh chance and Welbeck's allround game is more accomplished than Sturridge's. Sturridge has been playing out wide all season too, and it is difficult to judge him as a striker.

I'm not a betting man, ?ú30 on Germany with BetVictor (Markysimmo's suggestion), sound like it's worth doing? I'm so confident Germany will win, but as soon as money comes into the equation I melt!

.....................Hart........................
Johnson...Terry......Cahill.......Cole
Walcott...Gerrard..Lampard..Downing
..............Carroll......Defoe.................

?

O.M.G!

Milner, Oxtail Soup, Downing! Henderson on standby and no Lennon or Carrick? Carrol too WTF!!!

should have been the fulcrum.

Stevie Me and Lamps again?

AOC - a kid who has seriously gone off the boil after a handful of half decent games ahead of Lennon?? mein gott.

i like Roy but blimey, i hope he knows what he's doing.

Personally I can see Terry, Lampard and Gerrard emerging from the tunnel pushing zimmer-frames for the 2052 qualifying matches. The FA seems to pick the least imaginative managers possible (not that Redknapp would have been much better in that regard).

The only valid reason for not picking Lennon is that he's injury prone.

Henderson on standy??? Leave it out Roy.

Downing?

Only 4 strikers! One of which is suspended for two games!

No Crouch or Holt but Carroll gets picked!

I don't like putting all the blame on the manager normally, but that is a tinkle poor squad!

.....................Hart........................
Johnson...Terry......Cahill.......Cole
Walcott...Gerrard..Lampard..Downing
..............Carroll......Defoe.................

?

Then compare that to this:

..........................Hart.........................
Richards...Ferdinand...Cahill......Cole
................Carrick......Parker..............
Lennon...........Lampard..........Young
.......................Carroll?......................

No idea who would play up front of their own, I think Holt but youd have to be a brave man to go into the Euro's with a Norwich forward up top on his own.

Back