• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2019/20 Premier League Thread

To be fair it hasn’t helped against Spammers last time out or Chelsea this season.
Isn’t home advantage the whole crux of the integrity of the competition given by the teams who have a change of being relegated though? Or does it not matter if they may benefit from it?!
To be honest, on the sporting side we may stand to benefit more than most - we had no momentum at the time the season was suspended (shame the RB game wasn’t a week later) and Kane and Son being out wasn’t giving me much cause for optimism. Mourinho is getting a mini pre season, N’Dombele may have recovered from his dental issues (Maccas being shut may have helped ;-)).

TBH I don't see home or away advantage account for nothing anyway in an empty stadium, its just another pitch

It'll be an advantage for the Spammers not having to walk 18 miles to get to the pitch.

Home comforts (own changing room etc) must provide a bit of a boost.

To be fair it hasn’t helped against Spammers last time out or Chelsea this season.
Isn’t home advantage the whole crux of the integrity of the competition given by the teams who have a change of being relegated though? Or does it not matter if they may benefit from it?!
To be honest, on the sporting side we may stand to benefit more than most - we had no momentum at the time the season was suspended (shame the RB game wasn’t a week later) and Kane and Son being out wasn’t giving me much cause for optimism. Mourinho is getting a mini pre season, N’Dombele may have recovered from his dental issues (Maccas being shut may have helped ;-)).

Whether we have previously taken advantage of the home advantage or not is besides the point. Now we're denied that opportunity in crucial games.

Instead of 50-60.000 thousand home fans shouting, singing and intimidating the away team, there will be no noise. No singing. No booing opposition players. Don't tell me that this won't make a difference.

I agree we have benefitted massively as well, of course. A fully fit squad will undoubtedly do us lots of good. But to me that's also just another argument against restarting the season. Because that's not fair either.

Whether we have previously taken advantage of the home advantage or not is besides the point. Now we're denied that opportunity in crucial games.

Instead of 50-60.000 thousand home fans shouting, singing and intimidating the away team, there will be no noise. No singing. No booing opposition players. Don't tell me that this won't make a difference.

I agree we have benefitted massively as well, of course. A fully fit squad will undoubtedly do us lots of good. But to me that's also just another argument against restarting the season. Because that's not fair either.
Home advantage comment was tongue in cheek and was also re the suggestion of playing derbies in empty neutral stadiums instead of an empty home one, but I do get your points.

I’m sure every club can find positives and negatives in the impact restarting the league will have on them. Some of these will be brought up more vocally post the restart, depending on the clubs results. We do have incidents in normal circumstances, home or away post Europe, playing teams with more rest, different motivations especially towards the end of the season.

There is no perfect solution, if the whole thing is canned then you have the issue of relegation/ promotion / prize money / European qualification to be settled based on a point in time or not at all.

But I don’t kid myself the motive is purely financial, except perhaps to formally confirm Liverpool as champions which is actually worse imo (I‘ll risk a ban from GG by admitting I think this is the one decision that could be made without restarting!)

There does seem to be an element of wanting cake and eating it, clubs dispute does not seem to be related to health concerns, just about how much lovely money they can get and any perceived disadvantage they can counter. Clubs want the league to continue, yet don’t want to play at neutral grounds which may assist having macarons gathering outside and spreading the virus causing a strain on policing. Some were in favour of stopping the season, but only as they had worked out the potential cost of relegation was bigger than the benefit of the prize money on offer for avoiding it.

There will be some bigger challenges ahead, Will Global appetite wane watching the product with the no background noise, would the removal of CL football make the leagues even less competitive or will the bloated squads be harder to manage with less game time to share around. Will the reduction in income, prize money and sponsorship be a good thing for the game or will it be an opportunity for the dopers who don’t rely on genuine club generated income to pull clear?

Ultimately in this instance I think premier league football has been deemed ‘too big to fail’ like banks in 2008, which is a shame as it used to be a sport once.

Home advantage comment was tongue in cheek and was also re the suggestion of playing derbies in empty neutral stadiums instead of an empty home one, but I do get your points.

I’m sure every club can find positives and negatives in the impact restarting the league will have on them. Some of these will be bought up more vocally post the restart, depending on the clubs results. We do have incidents in normal circumstances, home or away post Europe, playing teams with more rest, different motivations especially towards the end of the season.

There is no perfect solution, if the whole thing is canned then you have the issue of relegation/ promotion / prize money / European qualification to be settled based on a point in time or not at all.

But I don’t kid myself the motive is purely financial, except perhaps to formally confirm Liverpool as champions which is actually worse imo (I‘ll risk a ban from GG by admitting I think this is the one decision that could be made without restarting!)

There does seem to be an element of wanting cake and eating it, clubs dispute does not seem to be related to health concerns, just about how much lovely money they can get and any perceived disadvantage they can counter. Clubs want the league to continue, yet don’t want to play at neutral grounds which may assist having my tits gathering outside and spreading the virus causing a strain on policing. Some were in favour of stopping the season, but only as they had worked out the potential cost of relegation was bigger than the benefit of the prize money on offer for avoiding it.

There will be some bigger challenges ahead, Will Global appetite wane watching the product with the no background noise, would the removal of CL football make the leagues even less competitive or will the bloated squads be harder to manage with less game time to share around. Will the reduction in income, prize money and sponsorship be a good thing for the game or will it be an opportunity for the dopers who don’t rely on genuine club generated income to pull clear?

Ultimately in this instance I think premier league football has been deemed ‘too big to fail’ like banks in 2008, which is a shame as it used to be a sport once.

Points well put, and I think we agree for the most part. I think though that this such an extraordinary and unforeseen circumstance that we can't compare it to an injury crisis or fixture pile up.

All teams enter the competition in August knowing the latter can and will happen to some teams. That's basically a premise of the competition. It's accepted by everyone; fans, owners, playing Staff.

No one knew in August that a global pandemic would disrupt the season, potentially having the last eight games played in neutral venues, behind closed doors. If we did, would we accept that Arse and West Ham got their home advantage against us, but not us against them? I don't think so.

My previous post was not a dig at you, BTW, if it came out like that.

If a coach full of players and staff get caught up in traffic on the way, will they have to turn back if the delay breaks the 90 minute limit? :D

They have to travel in individual cars (assume they can all drive?). I can just picture long convoys of premier league teams - players and other staff - travelling up and down our motorways :D I hope none of ours break down (not in a Lamela way) en route.

They have to travel in individual cars (assume they can all drive?). I can just picture long convoys of premier league teams - players and other staff - travelling up and down our motorways :D I hope none of ours break down (not in a Lamela way) en route.
Jose firing out a text to the team WhatsApp group “right lads, we’re meeting in McDonald’s car park at 9:30 and we’ll go in convoy, if anyone needs a lift let me know. Don’t be late”

Amazon Prime will make its four Premier League games free-to-air when the season restarts.

Fans will not need a Prime membership to watch fixtures on the online streaming service when the top-flight campaign resumes from 17 June.

Every one of the remaining 92 Premier League games will be broadcast live across Sky Sports, BT Sport, BBC Sport or Amazon Prime.

In total, 33 of those matches will be free-to-air.

Alex Green, managing director of Prime Video Sport Europe, said: "Like the rest of the country, we are excited to see the Premier League return to action.

"We will be making all four of Amazon Prime Video's additional fixtures in the 2019-20 season available free of charge; fans will not need a Prime membership to view the games on Prime Video."

In May, it was announced that four Premier League games will be broadcast, free to air, live on BBC Sport when the season resumes.

It will be the first time the BBC has shown live Premier League matches, and the first time the broadcaster has shown any live top-flight football since 1988.

Sky Sports will make 25 of the remaining top-flight matches free to air, including the Merseyside derby on the first weekend after the resumption - 19-21 June.

Aurier will get lost - no way he's following directions

Back