• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Modric has outscored Pirlo in the last 6 seasons.

Fair enough, but for the last four seasons in the premier league Modric has scored 3 goals (according to Wiki), at a similar age for Milan Pirlo was scored 9 goals in a season, 6 goals in one, and 4 goals for a couple others. As I said, my thoughts weren't based mainly on stats anyhow, more how in general the afformentioned players seem much more adept at striking the ball.For somone who can pass the ball as well as Luka, it must be frustrating for the coaches to see so many below par efforts which lead to nothing, it's not even all about goals really, good shots will cause panic in the box and also lead to corners etc etc. None of the that will be reflected in the stats of course though.

For me the key reason why Aimar never made it further than he did is because he can in reality only play in one position, behind a striker (or two). That limits the formations he can be useful in, thus the amounts of teams he can be useful in. For him to really shine the team has to at least almost be built around him (or at least play a specific formation). However, he's not good enough for a truly big team to build their team around him. To me quite similar to Riquelme in that way. For me that is what will hold back Taraabt as well, unless he can change it. And it's one of the reasons why I think Ben Arfa, who was originally one of those players more or less might now have a very big future ahead of him because he's learned to play multiple positions and be good enough defensively to be a winger in a 4-4-x formation.

For the the reason 4-2-3-1 formations have become so popular is because you can then easier fit that kind of player into your team.
I agree, and similar to Van der Vaart in that respect. Hardly any clubs incorporate a player 'in the hole' anymore, it was a position that was most prominent in the late 90's and early 00's IMO.

If Chelbrick play like this against Barcelona in the SF should they get through they will lose 20-0 on aggregate, an awful ageing side with no spark
This! They really are on a downward path. Benfica only had 10 men ffs. Lets hope its a bunch of semi misery for them plastic bunch of mugs.

Chelsea weren't half jammy tonight. To get outplayed at home against a 10 man Benfica side is a bit embarassing! They had their backs to the wall for the last 15 minutes!

I'd be devastated if we don't finish above them and beat them in the FA cup, we are a superior side.

Chelsea weren't half jammy tonight. To get outplayed at home against a 10 man Benfica side is a bit embarassing! They had their backs to the wall for the last 15 minutes!

I'd be devastated if we don't finish above them and beat them in the FA cup, we are a superior side.

We us playing them at 6pm on the Sunday before their match with Barca on Wednesday they will most likely play a second string team against us for fear of an even bigger humilation against Barca.:twisted:

Genuinely not trolling, for a midfielder who spends so much time in the oppositions half his finishing leaves much to be desired therefore he isn't going to be the best in the world in a certain position is he? I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be world class. Maybe it's our definition of world class that differs, of course he's a quality player in my eyes, but not without downfalls.

A quick scout has shown me that players similar in style ie Deep lying playmakers who have been considered world class have better scoring records, Xavi and Pirlo. Rather than just relying on stats, my experience of seeing them play has given me the impression that they display much better technique when striking a ball at goal, therefore ae more threatening offensively.

Edit: Must point out that I hadn't seen the 6 page thread on this exact subject so will understand if you don't want to continue the discussion Brain!

I just think shooting ability is far from the top of preferred abilities for a player in his position. While Pirlo has scored a bit more (earlier in his career as Modric THFC points out) he is more of a set piece taker as well, Modric isn't. Xavi scores a bit more for Barcelona, but I think Modric would score more as well if he played for Barcelona. A look at Xavi's record for Spain isn't all that special. Alonso is another comparable one. Modric doesn't strike the ball as well as any of those, far from it even, I agree. We have seen him improve his shooting over the last 1-2 years though, and hopefully he will keep improving. I don't see that weakness as a massive one (although it is a weakness of course), unless we plan on playing him in the hole - something I hope we're not planning on.

Fair enough, but for the last four seasons in the premier league Modric has scored 3 goals (according to Wiki), at a similar age for Milan Pirlo was scored 9 goals in a season, 6 goals in one, and 4 goals for a couple others. As I said, my thoughts weren't based mainly on stats anyhow, more how in general the afformentioned players seem much more adept at striking the ball.For somone who can pass the ball as well as Luka, it must be frustrating for the coaches to see so many below par efforts which lead to nothing, it's not even all about goals really, good shots will cause panic in the box and also lead to corners etc etc. None of the that will be reflected in the stats of course though.

He scored 9 goals in 2002/03. 8 of them were penalties though!
He scored 6 goals in 2003/04. 3 of those were penalties.
The rest of his seasons are comparable to Modric's

I actually wish Modric was our penalty taker. He's never missed one for us, although I can only actually remember him taking two for us (PAOK in the Europa League and Liverpool at Anfield last year), I believe he was or is still Croatia's penalty taker and he takes a good one.

Modric is a quality player, but he cant finish, its there for all to see, anybody see his numerous pea-roller shots in games, 2 against Swansea, he scuffed it in positions where it was easier to score, great player and apart from 2 corkers a year he is simply terrible in front of goal, to be honest his passing the past few games has been off too, seen him give the ball away more than in the previous 3 odd seasons

Didnt realise it was brick flags night at the Bridge, wow what an atmosphere NOT !!!!, pathetic

Lampard now has 143 CFC goals, 100 penalties and 43 deflections

Last edited:
Didnt realise it was brick flags night at the Bridge, wow what an atmosphere NOT !!!!, pathetic

Lampard now has 143 CFC goals, 100 penalties and 43 deflections

Haha so true, I did actually have to think about whether that was a joke initially as its the kind of statistic that could be true

Modric is a quality player, but he cant finish, its there for all to see, anybody see his numerous pea-roller shots in games, 2 against Swansea, he scuffed it in positions where it was easier to score, great player and apart from 2 corkers a year he is simply terrible in front of goal, to be honest his passing the past few games has been off too, seen him give the ball away more than in the previous 3 odd seasons

If Modric was smashing in goals aswell as the rest of his game we would have teams banging down the door to sign him and most likely not be able to keep hold of him. His true value is in pulling the strings of our midfield so in a strange way I am quite please he's not a prolific goal scorer

After watching last night and indeed anytime I now watch Chelsea, I see to get more and more confident of seeing my team reach the FA Cup final and that is a great feeling!

After watching last night and indeed anytime I now watch Chelsea, I see to get more and more confident of seeing my team reach the FA Cup final and that is a great feeling!

I must say I feel confident about the game too but mate... Portsmouth, that game will forever keep my feet on the floor going into a trip to Wembley.

I must say I feel confident about the game too but mate... Portsmouth, that game will forever keep my feet on the floor going into a trip to Wembley.

That was a horrendous day out. The day started with so much joy, beers in the sun, Portsmouth fans singing down their chances and talking about relegation, I even met Terry Venables on the way up to our seats which we perceived to be a good omen....

Still remember it like it was yesterday. Still have visions of Bale running up and down the left hand side from left back all game even deep into extra time like a machine. I also remember Crouch having a perfectly good goal ruled out.

Back