• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Benfica players are dumb as fudge

Agreed. Too many shots when there were better options available, too much arguing with the ref and a very soft penalty to give away.

Ah well, at least this means we'll get a chance to see Barca against Chelsea. I have a feeling it will be quite enjoyable...

--------------

Anyone actually seen Nico Gaitan do well against good opponents? This is the 4th time (or something like that) that I've seen him and so far I haven't been impressed, but I see him being linked to United and similar so I wonder if there is something I'm not seeing or maybe I've just watched the wrong games.

Aimar has played well. I always thought he'd do better in his career but never really fulfilled his early promise

Another jokester. Haha. Funny stuff... I'm really close to biting...

Genuinely not trolling, for a midfielder who spends so much time in the oppositions half his finishing leaves much to be desired therefore he isn't going to be the best in the world in a certain position is he? I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be world class. Maybe it's our definition of world class that differs, of course he's a quality player in my eyes, but not without downfalls.

A quick scout has shown me that players similar in style ie Deep lying playmakers who have been considered world class have better scoring records, Xavi and Pirlo. Rather than just relying on stats, my experience of seeing them play has given me the impression that they display much better technique when striking a ball at goal, therefore ae more threatening offensively.

Edit: Must point out that I hadn't seen the 6 page thread on this exact subject so will understand if you don't want to continue the discussion Brain!

Last edited:
For me the key reason why Aimar never made it further than he did is because he can in reality only play in one position, behind a striker (or two). That limits the formations he can be useful in, thus the amounts of teams he can be useful in. For him to really shine the team has to at least almost be built around him (or at least play a specific formation). However, he's not good enough for a truly big team to build their team around him. To me quite similar to Riquelme in that way. For me that is what will hold back Taraabt as well, unless he can change it. And it's one of the reasons why I think Ben Arfa, who was originally one of those players more or less might now have a very big future ahead of him because he's learned to play multiple positions and be good enough defensively to be a winger in a 4-4-x formation.

For the the reason 4-2-3-1 formations have become so popular is because you can then easier fit that kind of player into your team.

Kaka scored an aboslute pearler earllier

His career never really reached his AC Milan heights at Madrid. Wish we stood half a chance. Magnificent player

If Chelbrick play like this against Barcelona in the SF should they get through they will lose 20-0 on aggregate, an awful ageing side with no spark

Genuinely not trolling, for a midfielder who spends so much time in the oppositions half his finishing leaves much to be desired therefore he isn't going to be the best in the world in a certain position is he? I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be world class. Maybe it's our definition of world class that differs, of course he's a quality player in my eyes, but not without downfalls.

A quick scout has shown me that players similar in style ie Deep lying playmakers who have been considered world class have better scoring records, Xavi and Pirlo. Rather than just relying on stats, my experience of seeing them play has given me the impression that they display much better technique when striking a ball at goal, therefore ae more threatening offensively.

Edit: Must point out that I hadn't seen the 6 page thread on this exact subject so will understand if you don't want to continue the discussion Brain!

Modric has outscored Pirlo in the last 6 seasons.

Chelsea through. Laughing at all those plastics in the crowd all round 11-15. The 15 year olds would've been 5 when Abramovic took over it's tragic.

Back