• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Match-fixing Thread

our ex keeper that gave goals away on the final day for arsenal to pip us to third - now that felt like something very suspicious e.g. punching the ball towards his own goal . not sure where he is now, possibly faded into obscurity a rich man :)

Everyone on twitter are saying its Chelsea against Barca of last year.

All Chelsea fans are saying its Barca vs them in 2009.

Haha

Well if last year's tie was fixed, it was in Barca's favour. They got a joke penalty from the result of a Fabregas dive.

That performance from from Tom Henning was one of the most inept refereeing performances I have ever seen so my money would be on that one.

our ex keeper that gave goals away on the final day for arsenal to pip us to third - now that felt like something very suspicious e.g. punching the ball towards his own goal . not sure where he is now, possibly faded into obscurity a rich man :)

Very dodgy indeed. read on wiki that he is playing in Greece now. One pragraph on his page was interesting:

Fülöp played his first league game against Arsenal on the last day of the 2011/12 season, in Roy Hodgson's last game in charge before becoming manager of the England national team. Arsenal won 3-2 with all three of their goals being widely considered preventable by Fülöp. The result saw Arsenal qualify for the Champions League the following season at the expense of their rivals Tottenham Hotspur (a draw or loss would not have been enough as Chelsea won the Champions League final to take the place which would otherwise have gone to the side finishing in fourth), and Fülöp was released from his contract just days later.

That Fulop performance was well fishy, but even if he or some other player was found guilty of match fixing it would be very hard to punish a club.

That could only happen if the club itself knew or was involved, imo. Which would be harder to prove.

Obviously, if lets say a goalkeeper admits to being paid to let in a couple of dodgy goals, which subsequently means another club is denied its rightful place in a prestigious tournament, how do you go about making it right? One thing is suspending the goalkeeper, another is the economical and other consequences for the club.

Who should pay the millions of pounds that the club lost out on from not qualifying? What about the club that presumably wasn't involved in the cheating, but hugely benefitted from it?

This is the thing that tinkles me off about match fixing. More often than not, there's just no way to make up for the injustice that's been made.

Once again, I can't see how it would be worth it for someone like Gomes to throw a game at that stage in his career. Additional mistakes when he was already under pressure could end up costing him a place in the team and long term costing him a lot in terms of wages etc when new contracts are negotiated. And that's if no one ever finds out, if caught cheating it could have immediate, and fairly costly, effects.

With his reported wages £121k shouldn't have been anywhere near enough to take that risk.

Seriously though it is hard for one individual to change the outcome of a match, unless you are the ref (or Messi). It is more probable that it was rigged for a certain number of corners or yellow cards? Something easier to control and not so obvious.

eerrrr so Lasangne gate was just coincidence ?

sure-if-serious-i-am-not.jpg

Very dodgy indeed. read on wiki that he is playing in Greece now. One pragraph on his page was interesting:

Fülöp played his first league game against Arsenal on the last day of the 2011/12 season, in Roy Hodgson's last game in charge before becoming manager of the England national team. Arsenal won 3-2 with all three of their goals being widely considered preventable by Fülöp. The result saw Arsenal qualify for the Champions League the following season at the expense of their rivals Tottenham Hotspur (a draw or loss would not have been enough as Chelsea won the Champions League final to take the place which would otherwise have gone to the side finishing in fourth), and Fülöp was released from his contract just days later.

here's an article that covered that match : replies were interesting to read
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-fulop-gifts-arsenal-third-place-7743458.html

only managed to find the first of fulop's mistakes...nothing short of fishy...
[video=youtube;m7k3qbgBVXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7k3qbgBVXs[/video]

edit: here's all three. just look at that third goal!

[video=youtube;XCowxH0FGzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCowxH0FGzQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=11 9s[/video]

Last edited:
No indications from the reports so far that referees have been involved. Somewhat different issue.

BBC NEWS said:
Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

Am I missing something? It seems to me far more likely that referees are involved as they make a lot less money than the players and still have a strong influence on the game.

Dinamo Zagreb - Lyon 1-7 from the 2011/12 season did raise some questions back then if it had been fixed, as Lyon needed a big win to qualify.

Aaaaargh I had managed to bury those Fulop memories but that last video has brought it all back... :x

applying occam's razor here, Fulop was just brick and his contract was up the week after anyway

That's what was so annoying.. he wasn't exactly Taibi, Fulop was half decent (well not the pile of brick he appeared on that day), he had played in the PL and my Ipswich mates rated him highly from his spell there.

Back