• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the magic of the cup

No disrespect Jord, but that is the difference between having grown up in this country, and not.

Even the neutrals would be glued to the Cup final on a Saturday. I agree over-exposure on tv is a big factor, no doubt.

Cup Final saturday used to be massive. As mentioned, the tv coverage back in the day was geared around it. It's a knockout with teams representing the finalists, and all sorts of other related stuff. It was cheap, and sometimes tacky, but it was fun.

The competition has been belittled by TV (as in Sky), money, and the insistance of the CL being so bloody vital.

I used to watch it too back when it was just about the only football on tv, but now I have no interest in watching two teams I don't care about play a game that have no importance to anyone but their fans. The amount of games shown live combined with the internet have meant an overload of football in recent years.

When there's so much football on tv, what is interesting about this one game between two teams you couldn't care less about? I watch Spurs. Beyond that I watch for entertainment or if the result means something for us. For me Wigan-City decides who goes directly to the EL group stage. Who wins the cup? I don't care.

I assume if Wigan win they go straight into the Group stages

But if City win does the 5th place team go into the Group stages and Wigan go into the play-off round? Hopefully it wont be our problem, it will be Arsenals...

As the Chas and Dave song goes, Cup Final Day was always next best to Christmas Day. It saddens me now. There'll be more hype about Chelsea coming 3rd in the League and Fat Frank's record than who wins the Cup.

It is The Cup! I'd love to see the Winners in future being given a Champions League place. That would certainly pep things up.

i think the idea of Champions League football for the fa cup winners is one of lunacy myself - it just doesn't make logical sense and is just a desperate attempt to try and rejuvenate a cup with a flagging reputation.

the champions league and it's money is the reason the fa cup has become un important. . . so let's make the fa cup nothing more than a qualification process for it :-k

Somewhat cynical view: Oh noes, something that was once more popular is now less popular than some other thing that I think should be less popular than this thing because it's one of my favourite things! Why can't you just leave Britney alone? I mean... The FA-cup!

I'm at least partly joking, I have some great memories from the FA-cups, but at the same time if people find a CL quarter final or a league game in the battle for 4th more interesting than the FA-cup final is that really so bad?

It is The Cup! I'd love to see the Winners in future being given a Champions League place. That would certainly pep things up.

It wouldn't make any difference. In the last 10 years, the winner of the cup has been in the champions league already based on league position in every year except when pompey won it, so 9 out of 10 and it's likely to happen again today as Emirates Marketing Project will probably win it.

The FA Cup might have lost some magic compared to the 80es and the 90es

But I had goosebumps when Wigan scored the goal and at the final whistle

So happy for Wigan and Dave Whelan

It's funny because of 'the project', but I won't celebrate a thing until Wigan beats Arsenal.

At least some proper clubs are winning the trophies this season:

League-United
Fa Cup-Not Emirates Marketing Project
CL-Dortmund/Bayern

It wouldn't make any difference. In the last 10 years, the winner of the cup has been in the champions league already based on league position in every year except when pompey won it, so 9 out of 10 and it's likely to happen again today as Emirates Marketing Project will probably win it.

:lol:

as the CL final is at Wembley, the FA Cup Final can't be the last game this season. UEFA insist on a certain amount of days between use.

The 5.15 kick off is stupid though.

I didn't even know today was the final.
It could if the FA had a set of testacles, tell UEFA to take their money and fack off, the FA Cup is the most prestigious club tournament in the world. (Not telling you anything you're not already aware of but the FA bleat that they want to recapture the magic and then move it around and devalue it to suit Murdoch and Platini).

Now I'm not a great fan of UKIP but Farage could make a great deal of political capital if he pledged to return football to the fans, no matches moved to ridiculous times where teams from the opposite ends of the country play each other at times to suit TV coverage rather than the needs of travelling fans. No FA Cup weekends, all ties kick off at three on Saturday instead, FA Cup final Saturday is the last Saturday of the season and it starts at three, fack the rest of the world, let them set their alarm clocks to accommodate our cup final.

Go on Moe, reclaim football for Britain and send the world a message.

Last edited:
Emirates Marketing Project are completely devoid of any team spirit. Must come from Mancini. Even Chelsea under Mourinho had a togetherness.

Back