• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

the magic of the cup

milo

Jack L. Jones
Cup Final day used to be the biggest day in the football calendar but every year it seems to get smaller and smaller. I think that it is such a shame that the FA Cup has been squeezed out by the Premier League and Champions League.

Cup Final day used to be the biggest day in the football calendar but every year it seems to get smaller and smaller. I think that it is such a shame that the FA Cup has been squeezed out by the Premier League and Champions League.
the magic of the cup has gone

Quick fix (or will at least help).

Play the damn thing when it should be played.......3pm, last game of the season (or last Saturday at least)

Give the winner a CL place.

Give the winner a Champions League spot instead of 4th place, in my eyes that's more of a "champion." The FA cup used to be one of the most important games to watch but now there is so much football on tv that it all becomes a bit more diluted.

Give the winner a Champions League spot instead of 4th place, in my eyes that's more of a "champion." The FA cup used to be one of the most important games to watch but now there is so much football on tv that it all becomes a bit more diluted.

I believe this may on the cards pretty soon.

For me TV killed the FA Cup the day we played Wigan at home in the 3rd round on a Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What was that all about?

And yes, FA Cup FInal Saturday 3pm kick-off...thats how it should be
Its a Cup Final knockout
Cameras with players on the coach
Breakfast at the team hotel
Jumpers for goalposts (wait, thats something else....)

as the CL final is at Wembley, the FA Cup Final can't be the last game this season. UEFA insist on a certain amount of days between use.

The 5.15 kick off is stupid though.

I didn't even know today was the final.

I believe this may on the cards pretty soon.

For me TV killed the FA Cup the day we played Wigan at home in the 3rd round on a Friday night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What was that all about?

And yes, FA Cup FInal Saturday 3pm kick-off...thats how it should be
Its a Cup Final knockout with or without Stuart Hall? ;)
Cameras with players on the coach
Breakfast at the team hotel
Jumpers for goalposts (wait, thats something else....)

Quick fix (or will at least help).

Play the damn thing when it should be played.......3pm, last game of the season (or last Saturday at least)

Give the winner a CL place.

Agree 100%.

My earliest memory as a Spurs fan is winning the cup. It was a big deal.

Have enjoyed the build up the game will be a non event as the lottery winners add another trophy to their meaningless collection...

Wont even watch the game I doubt, should be 3pm too

If it goes to ET and pens fans will miss their last trains back to Manchester which is at 9pm, that in itself is a joke

When there's so much football on tv, what is interesting about this one game between two teams you couldn't care less about? I watch Spurs. Beyond that I watch for entertainment or if the result means something for us. For me Wigan-City decides who goes directly to the EL group stage. Who wins the cup? I don't care.

I remember 1987. I spent the whole day in front of the TV. Lots of interviews, TV crew at the team hotel and following the bus to Wembley, Saint and Greavsie :) Ok so I ended the day storming out of the room and locking myself in my bedroom but the point is that the FA CUP Final use to be huge.

as the CL final is at Wembley, the FA Cup Final can't be the last game this season. UEFA insist on a certain amount of days between use.

In that case, do as the Germans are doing. The German cup final which Bayern are involved in is being played a week after the CL final. Simples.

The fact that Wigan are being punished as a result of reaching the final by having to play scum in midweek shows what the FA think of the competition.

As for people suggesting the winner should get a CL place, great idea, but the premier league will never go for it. They love the fact that a CL place can be decided on the last day of the season.

A case of the c-ck wagging the dog...

Europa should have a CL spot, that is the one that makes perfect sense for me.
Ditch the whole CL dropouts join the Europa league thing and overnight it would sort out that competition.

As a by-product, the FA Cup and League Cup would also become much more prestigious as well.

In that case, do as the Germans are doing. The German cup final which Bayern are involved in is being played a week after the CL final. Simples.

The fact that Wigan are being punished as a result of reaching the final by having to play scum in midweek shows what the FA think of the competition.

As for people suggesting the winner should get a CL place, great idea, but the premier league will never go for it. They love the fact that a CL place can be decided on the last day of the season.
The FA have their reasons for every decision, it's always down to money. A Saturday when there is only one other game scheduled is a good time, for them, not after the season has finished. Fans have become an afterthought.

Didn't even know the final was today until i spotted some City and Wigan fans in central earlier.

When there's so much football on tv, what is interesting about this one game between two teams you couldn't care less about? I watch Spurs. Beyond that I watch for entertainment or if the result means something for us. For me Wigan-City decides who goes directly to the EL group stage. Who wins the cup? I don't care.

No disrespect Jord, but that is the difference between having grown up in this country, and not.

Even the neutrals would be glued to the Cup final on a Saturday. I agree over-exposure on tv is a big factor, no doubt.

Cup Final saturday used to be massive. As mentioned, the tv coverage back in the day was geared around it. It's a knockout with teams representing the finalists, and all sorts of other related stuff. It was cheap, and sometimes tacky, but it was fun.

The competition has been belittled by TV (as in Sky), money, and the insistance of the CL being so bloody vital.

Back